Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: People Getting Rid Of Cable Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Story here:

I can see the logic, but...

I prefer the days of cable/satellite packages.

We are living in a world now where so many shows and movies are becoming exclusive to streaming services. I was enjoying RIPPER STREET on the BBC, but it migrated to Amazon Prime. RIVERDALE is only available on Netflix (I do have Netflix).

True, in the days of cable, there'd be channels I'd never watch, but from THE X-FILES and MILLENNIUM to top films, you at least had a shot at seeing them.

Now, before anyone (I'm gonna pre-empt this) says, "Pay up for streaming services!", I'll say this. That's a tad privileged at times. My income varies, and some have even less disposable income than me. A self-employed friend of mine has had a lean autumn and I know he couldn't subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc, etc.

Here in Britain, we also have to pay £150+ a year for a TV licence. 

I'm not having a go at anyone here, but some on social media have said, "Pay up." I do. I subscribe to Netflix. I have a Virgin Media package. And the aforementioned TV licence. I go without the stuff I can't afford - I'd love a Range Rover, but can't afford one - and that's fine.

I'm just putting forward the argument that it's frustrating to think that so many TV shows and movies are becoming exclusive. And there'll be more streaming services on the way. Will we reach a stage where we'll have to subscribe to 8 or 9 services?

It is *not* the most important thing. I have a roof over my head and regular meals. But I preferred the day of less exclusivity and cable packages. I mean, I hear there's a new STARGATE series coming, which will not only be exclusive to a streaming service, but it'll be available only in the US and Canada. The original STARGATE series aired on various channels here.

Thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I agree, we HAVE to pay for the BBC via the licence,
wether we watch it or not, owning a tv comes with that
price!

I`d be willing to pay less for the little i watch on the
BBC, and spend the saving elsewhere.I subscribe to
Netflx, but other shows i might watch are on Amazon,
which i don`t subscribe to.
We have more choice than ever, but it comes at a price.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The number of streaming services can get annoying. But I pay $10-20 for a two hour movie, so paying $10-12 to get access for 10+ hours of a single exclusive show is a deal. And more often, I can watch more than one exclusive show within a month, so all the better. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There are more shows than I can watch, whichever way I slice it. My DVR is full of cable shows that I struggle to keep up with and I have Netflix on top of that. I bitched to my cable provider about how much they were charging me and they responded by giving me a load of additional channels. Problem is, I never watch any of these channels.

Ultimately, I think the most economically sensible option will be to cut the cord at some point in the future and just buy what I actually want to consume.

Coincidentally, I just read yesterday about the NBA allowing fans to pay for just the final 15 minutes of games. Foward thinking...

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm still waiting for cable (and hardwired broadband internet) to be strung down my road. They say it'll be completed this year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd consider getting Netflix to supplement my Dish TV service, unfortunately the existing high-speed internet, while it's 'unlimited data', also throttles down to dial-up speed at a certain threshold, rendering it useless for Netflix, Hulu, etc., unless I pay an additional 10 bucks per GB.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Cable gives me a limited number of choices. Which is good. I canít watch TV all day!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

We cut the cord 4 years ago. Saved $100 a month. Havenít missed any shows ( well, except for THE AMERICANS. Havenít seen any since the second season) and havenít regretted it at all. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2018 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I switched to Sling.  Best of both worlds.  I can watch all the channels live, plus I have nearly everything On Demand.  And their packages are a lot more modular, flexible, and affordable than any cable service I've ever used.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2018 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Patience is another way of saving, some shows i wait for
the dvd box set, rather than subscribe to a source that
has little i want to watch, even then i wait for the box
set to be on sale, not ideal i know!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2018 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

well, except for THE AMERICANS. Havenít seen any since the second season

----

You need to finish watching THE AMERICANS!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 September 2018 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
Will we reach a stage where we'll have to subscribe to 8 or 9 services?

This is the pitfall I predicted years ago on this very board when people were arguing for a la carte packages.  Then people said that it would make receiving channels cheaper.  I said no, bundling via a cable package actually makes it cheaper.  

I lost. You won. 

But not really...

Now the same package I paid $14.99 for is $20. In other words you're still "paying the man" just for the illusion that my version of cable is overtly a "choice" .

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, CBS All Acess.  Four streaming services that alone cost $35-40 per month without factoring in a subscription that gets you the local channels.   Want anything more than that? Pony up an extra $10-20.  

Cutting the cord is cute and can be effective IF you demure on certain extras,  If you don't, you're really not saving a ton over just managing your cable channels.   

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2018 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

We had the tier above basic cable and for cable, and internet and were paying $180. We quit cable and now pay them $50 for the internet service. We use Netflix, Hulu and CBS All Access and pay $35-40 because we took the no-commercials options on Hulu and CBS. That $90 a month we saved adds up. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2018 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

You need to finish watching THE AMERICANS!

Iíve not been able to find it streaming anywhere other than Amazon and we donít have Prime. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2018 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I cut a couple years ago. I don't watch a ton of TV anyway and what I need is covered with Sling.  I save about $50-$70 a month but I didn't have an exotic TV package. I use an indoor HD antenna for the networks. I still pay for Netflix and Hulu but I paid for them when I had cable anyway. 

CW seems to be smart about it - I can watch shows for free on their app but I have to sit through commercials, like a pilgrim. I use that for Flash and Supergirl. 

Some shows I've ordered through Amazon streaming and then the episode is available the morning after the initial broadcast. That's good for shows I was likely to buy anyway, like Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2018 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I'm just putting forward the argument that it's frustrating to think that so many TV shows and movies are becoming exclusive. And there'll be more streaming services on the way. Will we reach a stage where we'll have to subscribe to 8 or 9 services?

--

Hopefully more than 8-9. Hopefully there will be at least 15-20 major streaming services, competing for talent and offering diverse content. 

Consumers have spoken; they hate the traditional cable bundle and don't watch most of the channels. But they don't want true al a carte, because people generally don't re-watch purchased shows. And physical media is the past, not the future.

That leaves streaming, and the best case scenario is a healthy marketplace with a variety of platforms offering up a wide range of content-- much of it exclusive. Like any other offering, most consumers will have to make choices and that's perfectly fine. I can't speak for the UK, but in the U.S., exclusive content has been a staple of broadcast media since the rise of pay cable. If you wanted your MTV in 1985, you'd better be paying for cable, even if you never watched another channel. If you wanted the watch THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW in 1992, then you'd have to add HBO. For the better part of 40 years now, consumers have had to make choices regarding pay television, and have been more frustrated with having to pay for too much content than anything. 

So if in, say, a decade we don't have several choices for streaming then that's probably not a good thing, because it means the market will have consolidated down to a few players-- and you can bet on three things:

1) Big Telecom will be one or more of those players.
2) We'll be right back in the era of bundles, which consumers hate.
3) The post-5g bundles that include content plans will rival or exceed the cost of cable plans.

So you can have a marketplace with many different options-- most of which you probably won't pay for-- or one with very few options forcing you to pay for a lot of stuff you don't want. I'll take the former.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version