Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The Woman Who Fell To Earth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rob Ocelot wrote:
Where I feel his stories are a letdown are in the logistics and timing of events -- things tend to happen for reasons only to push the story along but then are coveniently ignored when they no longer serve their purpose, eg. Ryan's inability to ride a bike only affects him when he's riding a bike and the Doctor also is able to whip up a sonic screwdriver in less time than it takes to melt the metal (as evidenced by the "Hey, we found something on the computer" line) but we still get a pointless scene of her melting the metal with a torch and soldering the electronics. Daft stuff like that makes me stop and think "Wait... what?" and I'm pulled out of the narrative and feel compelled to rewind to double check that was what I actually saw.

There were two things the Doctor did; one to get a bargaining chip, and one to hoist the alien by her own petard if she wouldn't bargain. (Spoiler space? Didn't we all watch it at the same time? Well, it was the middle of my afternoon nap, so I recorded it and watched later, but I watched at the same time as anyone in Britain who recorded it and watched later -- if they did it about 2 AM GMT.) I'll grant she may have done the first unseen, but I rewound to the second, and no, just no. It's almost as if Chibnal were challenging us to say they just made that part up while they were filming on top of the cranes.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For a guy with supposed coordination/balance issues he seems to walk and climb cranes just fine but the minute he touches a bicycle he starts having convulsions like he's allergic to it. Who knew dyspraxia was so selective?

óó-

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Itís not that it only affects him when he touches a bicycle, itís that riding a bike is a specific, easily avoidable skill that he hasnít learned to adapt to with his condition. His nan and step-grandfather were confident that heíd learn to ride if he applied himself, and Ryan was planning on going to school to be a mechanic, which requires a bit of manual dexterity.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

LOL:

Why do people misuse apostrophes?!!!

Doctor Who's? 

Doctor Who's what? His sonic screwdriver? Her TARDIS? His coat?

I see it so much in my life. Eating establishments advertising "Pie's for sale". Pie's what?

Jeez...

End of rant.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I liked it. You can't really judge how she'll act long term due to memory issues, but you can see peeks of it. She's incredibly smart and magnetic. Vastly prefer this more grounded kind of story than the Constant Mythical Clara Saga stuff we used to get.

I wish Capaldi had been given a chance to work with this staff!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thought it was shit.  Really didn't appreciate the Doctor herself telling the audience that they need to evolve and like her.

Her performance was like a bad SNL skit.  The story didn't make any sense and was forced at best.  The first 10 minutes could have been completely cut and not been missed.

The internal logic was just nonsensical.  Why did the family have to take the train to some remote hilltop to teach the kid how to ride his bike?  Why was it even important for him to learn how to ride a bike if he was just medically incapable?  Why did they just leave him?  How did he and the police woman get from the forest to the train so quickly?  Why did Gran call him right in the middle of a giant electric tentacle monster attacking?  

It was a whole hour of stuff like that.  Just terrible writing.  And then in the midst of dealing with Gran's death they do the flinging clothes from a dressing room bit?  Make fun of the Doctor's clothing for some reason?  What was so off putting about here wearing a jacket and pants?  

Ugh.  I'd have to re-watch it again to make note of all the coincidences and lazy writing.  I'm really surprised this thread is so generally positive about it.  This was just as bad as the latest Predator movie IMO.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Andy, since in another thread you expressed a positive opinion about Justice League, I think you and I just have very different opinions when it comes to entertainment.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Andy's opinion is in the minority, anyway, so what does it matter?

He's obviously a nitpicker who cannot enjoy a show, unless things make sense to him rather than just being entertained. 

(Though I do somewhat agree about the clothing part...)

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My opinion is in the minority so what does it matter?  I guess that's why you're referring to me in the third person?

Don't think I'd agree that since I find JL watchable it has much bearing on what I found wrong with this episode.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 2:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What was wrong with her clothing?! It was ruined! It also clearly didn't fit.They repeatedly made sure you saw the level of disrepair. Tough to avoid.  This was a rare instance after a regeneration where it completely made sense from a *practical* standpoint for The Doctor to change clothes. I kept wanting her to get a new set of whatever at almost every point in the story from the moment she fell into the train.
Speaking only for myself, if my clothes have reached that level of damage, I'm changing into something else!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I guess it's just a matter of one's focus.  I didn't even think about her clothing until they got to that point in the show and diverted everything toward it.

And it isn't that she got her own costume, that happens with every new Doctor.  It just seemed like a dig at the previous Doctor for some reason.  It seemed like there were plenty of opportunities and time for her to change clothes if hers were in such disrepair.  And even if they weren't her new costume, if disrepair was a real issue I think I would have preferred if she temporarily changed into something more obviously not "her" that led to the clothing store montage/gag.

Obviously, this isn't a major point but it is just one of many problems I had with the storytelling.

Unfortunately, I've been reading a lot of comments and background since the first episode and my perception is be being tainted by agendas, ideologies and politics.  It seems more and more that this new series is chock full of issues unrelated to the Doctor. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Andy,she got her clothes from a charity shop, hence the
hodge podge of styles, i assume this was because she has
no Tardis wardrobe to raid at the moment.

I agree, some of the episode was clumsy and ill thought
out, i am trying to keep an open mind in the hope things
improve.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Got around to watching it yesterday...thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a bit skeptical
about how it would all play out, but I was impressed with the seamless
transition and the performance. I think it's a great start so far.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

For myself I expected this to not work at all and so just the character being at least as credible as David Tennant, neither my favorite or least favorite 'Doctor', made it a success. I've come to expect less and less from Doctor Who over time, and it's always had various weaknesses to overlook or think around from the time of Hartnell's original... a supposedly solid wall that wobbles, robots made from tea chests with heads that spin on electric screwdriver bases, paper mache' dinosaurs. Not to mention a fubbed line, or last second on-the-floor rewrites for whatever reasons. But generally I agree the writing quality, the one thing that can usually be made high quality on any budget has been more miss than hit from about the late '70s onward, about when that viewers' association demanded from the BBC less scary and more humour and cuteness uber alles.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 14 October 2018 at 11:06am

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

New opening.  I think I really like the old school theme.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Saw it last night and was not overly impressed. I found it hard to focus and the story was a hodge-podge. My main problem was the lack of charisma with the new Doctor. Just didn't find her very interesting and her voice was too thin. The new companions are interesting though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version