Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Babylon 5 on Prime Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 24 2018 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here is what JMS said about a reboot back in April...

Back to Top profile | search

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 26 2018 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think JMS said that he retains movie rights, but WB retains TV rights, for whatever that's worth.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 26 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Babylon 5 is an interesting case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. 

I only watched it occasionally during its original run--and of course, it's a show you can't just watch occasionally--so I didn't really learn to appreciate it until I watched it on DVD. I did that again last year, and it continues to amaze me in ways both positive and negative--mostly positive, but the negative is always there. There's so much that doesn't work: bad acting, cheap-looking production design, the early-CGI effects (which never looked all that good to me, and haven't aged well at all), and JMS's often overblown or cliche-ridden writing. But the show as a whole, the sum of the parts that don't work and the parts that do (Jurasik, Katsulas, Christian; the sheer ambition of the story; plenty of other things)--the whole show really does work. I don't think anyone could argue--love it or hate it--that B5 wasn't far ahead of its time, if only in doing massive, slow-burn story arcs. That's routine in prestige TV today, but it sure wasn't in the mid-nineties.

Glad to see so much appreciation for the late Michael O'Hare. I much preferred him to Boxleitner, who I still find thoroughly wooden and unlikable as Sheridan. And O'Hare and Mira Furlan actually had some chemistry. Had he been able to stay on, we'd have had a much more convincing love story.

Jozef Brandt: I'm a little over halfway through Season 5 now, which honestly is a little better than I remember. 

Jozef, when I revisited B5 last year, I'll admit I skipped right to the last three episodes of Season 5. I remember being badly put off by both Lochley and the whole Byron plot. But you would recommend taking another look? What are your thoughts, sir?

Edited by Ted Downum on November 28 2018 at 2:31pm

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 27 2018 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The thing with binge watching is that it doesn't take six months to get through the Byron plotline.  Honestly, it didn't seem that bad when it lasts one or two sittings.  (Back in the day, TNT would not show new episodes for long stretches because of sports playoffs or whatever and stuff took forever). 

I got through the whole season and it didn't seem that bad.  I often did find myself thinking "I wish..." about certain things...I wish Claudia Christian hadn't bailed.  I wish they hadn't killed off Marcus...etc etc. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: November 03 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The biggest problems with B5 stem from the movies not meshing with the main show vey welll.   THIRDSPACE and RIVER OF SOULS just aren't very good.  They don't tell us anything new about the characters and they have little bearing on the main stoyline in addition to not fitting in well with the show narrative.   The only way these movies work is if certain movie scenes take place between scenes within proper episodes and that's just messy, complicated and fanwanky.

IN THE BEGINNING is the exception but it has other problems.   Anyone who starts with ITB gets spoiled, both for main story plot points and for the production values/acting/makeup/effects.   THE GATHERING and Season 1 (and some bits of 2) are real slogs after that, kind of like eating an amazing dessert followed by shoe leather that has bits of chocolate in it.   Yeah, I know there's lots of great hidden stuff in S1 and I've rewatched the series front to back multiple times but man... that pilot and first season just suck rocks.

A CALL TO ARMS is the worst of the lot but I think my view of that is coloured by it's connections to CRUSADE and how badly that show went down.   By and far the worst non-talentshow music I've ever heard on television too.

The less said about LEGEND OF THE RANGERS the better but it was nice to see Andreas in the makeup one lat time.   B5 isn't at it's best when it's trying force a backdoor pilot on you and that sentiment extends to ACTA as well.

Thankfully you can ignore the films for the most part though you still kind of need to plow through THE GATHERING.   If you can get through androgynous Delenn and her goofy Mandarin rings, an 'alien sector' that looks like a veal barn, a horrible acting performance or three, and WTF-were-they-thinking-with-Londo's-hair then you should be fine for anything Season 5 can throw at you, including the Bryon crapfest and cultist sing-a-longs. :-)

Edited by Rob Ocelot on November 03 2018 at 5:26pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: November 12 2018 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, I was never fond of the TV movies at all.  The pilot when I saw it in context of its actual premiere was fine.  I was really impressed with aliens who were actually *alien* and sci-fi that was semi-hard (so to speak) in that it at least tried to be somewhat plausible.  The only thing jarring about watching it when I did my grand re-watch, was that the version on Prime had the original Stewart Copeland score. 

In the Beginning is the best of the TV movies, but I never felt it was necessary. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version