Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: What’s the third most famous Superhero universe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

While THE INCREDIBLES have been popular movies, the Turtles have permeated the cultural consciousness. My parents have never ever watched anything TMNT, and they know that they are humanoid turtles with ninja weapons, named after artists. I don't think they are alone in that.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'd suggest that Hanna-Barbara's superhero cartoons made them the "third best known" for a while, with entries like SPACE GHOST, THE HERCULOIDS, THE IMPOSSIBLES and even JONNY QUEST.
BIRDMAN, ATOM ANT... it's a really long list.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Let us remember that it's not about who WE know... it's about who the civilian on the street knows.  So Andrew, you're right that for a time, the Hanna-Barbera offerings were a tremendous choice, they were expected to be seen by kids. Of course, the selection back then was considerably less, but I suspect that a lot of folks might have picked Captain Marvel over Mightor.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Would a civilian care about what (or how much) constitutes a 'universe'? For years, the Star Wars universe essentially consisted of 3 movies and, for those that remembered it, a Christmas Special to civilians.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes, but STAR WARS immediately had comic books, numerous novels, and then animated shows fully expanding their universe.  I was almost going to say this was the third most famous super-hero universe--the Jedis and Siths definitely display super-powers!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Incredibles has a number of comics and spin-off books aimed at kids as well, and it does set up a number of other heroes who either still exist or perished at the hands of Syndrome over the years. There is a definite attempt at world-building baked into the Incredibles' basic set-up.

While I agree that the TMNT and Transformers still supersede the Incredibles in the consciousness of the average American consumer, it probably has come to edge out other such contenders as Sailor Moon, Power Rangers, and the Masters of the Universe.

Making the argument for TMNT and the Transformers being super-heroes, both have ties to existing comic book properties, however indirectly, and both involve colorful adventure characters working together against an array of villains for the general good of everyone. The Turtles wear masks although they have no identities to hide, while the Transformers do, being "robots in disguise" when they first began to operate on Earth. Being able to turn into a Volkswagen or a boombox is a form of secret identity. 

If the Incredibles, TMNT, and Transformers still don't pass muster as popular super-heroes with the board here, then I'd give the title of third most familiar universe to the Power Rangers, who've been a marketing force to reckon with for a few decades now and I believe are undeniably super-heroic in nature.

Edited by Brian Hague on 26 September 2018 at 11:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've thought of an answer to the original question...

...KISS.

How many comics have they had? How many bad guys have they faced? How many adventures have they had?

I'll let you decide if I am being serious or facetious. My lips are sealed!

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm thinking a civilian would give the nod to Power Rangers before Gene and Ace!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version