Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Battlestar Galactica (1978-79) - 40 Years Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A quick internet search shows that the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is rather quietly celebrating its 40th anniversary today (though it premiered on a Sunday night, September 17, 1978).

A childhood favorite... not the greatest show ever, perhaps, but I revisit it every so often with no shame, as a cascade of nostalgia hits me like a ton of bricks each time.

(For the record:  I tried, but not a fan in the least of the 2004 reboot thingy.)

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shaun - huge fan as a kid...did you know that it's currently available for streaming (with commercials) on the NBC app?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Quite a fan many moons ago. Didn't quite get the same high when I revisited it on DVD years ago.

Which is fine. Some shows, such as THE A-TEAM, still float my boat; others, such as MIAMI VICE and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, don't. Some things ages better than others, and BG is one such example (and it's all subjective, anyway).

I read just one of the stories Marvel did, it was reprinted in a pocketbook over here.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also, read this:

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not a fan. Much prefered the reboot. (The reboot of STAR TREK was my punishment!)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

At 10-11 years of age it was heady stuff. Baddies you can blow to smithereens over and over and feel no guilt, suede jackets (always wanted one, tres expensive), fake swear words you can say without having to imagine re-experiencing the Cashmere Bouquet soap taste, a robot dog, weird looking coin money. Apollo, Athena, Starbuck, Cassiopeia, and Sheba were cool... Lorne Green, Fred Astaire, Lloyd Bridges, Patrick MacNee! Plus got to see the live exhibit at Universal Studios. :^D

Can I re-enjoy it? Uh, not so much, but still better than Gil Gerrard Buck Rogers, or Lost In Space which has only been good for laughs outside the first couple of episodes and cool opening.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 September 2018 at 12:17pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

With you about BUCK ROGERS, Rebecca.

I did quite enjoy LOST IN SPACE when I revisited it, but I couldn't binge watch it. I watched the series over many years, one episode every Sunday.

Here's a cover from Marvel Comics' BG title:

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Absolutely a no miss while it was airing. I was probably the right age for it as it's tough to watch now.
Also enjoyed the 2004 version, at least the first 3 seasons anyway.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It was great tv for me as a kid. It doesn't hold up these days. But Dirk Benedict as Starbuck is one of the few highlights that remains for me. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I did enjoy it back in the day, but (all nostalgia aside) the reboot was significantly better.

What the reboot did so well was to recognise and retain those elements that were striking. neat, memorable, and so on. The Cylons on a mission to wipe-out humanity, blunt as that, the rag-tag fugitive fleet attempting to preserve the entire culture, the genocidal traitor Dr Balthazar, the dog-fighters defending the vast battlestar, itself defending the otherwise-defenceless fleet.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When asked if the reboot was going to deal with the original's "Ship of Lights" in which ambiguously defined angels resurrect a dead cast member, showrunner Ron Moore said that was not what the new series was about.

Which when push came to shove, turned out to be exactly what the new show was all about. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"...did you know that it's currently available for streaming (with commercials) on the NBC app?"

I did notice that a few weeks ago, Marc, thanks.. but I actually picked up the DVD set back in the '00s, for a ridiculously-high sticker price at the time... then managed to snag the Blu-ray set for quite a bargain, only a few months back.

I don't mind owning two different sets--they both come in handsome display boxes, and the DVD set is in the original 4:3 TV ratio (and one of the discs became damaged over time), whereas the Blu-rays are widescreen-enchanced.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Whatever you do, avoid GALACTICA 80, the sequel. 80's television at its worst. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I did notice that a few weeks ago, Marc, thanks.. but I actually picked up the DVD set back in the '00s, for a ridiculously-high sticker price at the time... then managed to snag the Blu-ray set for quite a bargain, only a few months back.

I don't mind owning two different sets--they both come in handsome display boxes, and the DVD set is in the original 4:3 TV ratio (and one of the discs became damaged over time), whereas the Blu-rays are widescreen-enchanced.

•••

Let me get this straight — you paid too much, then you paid extra for LESS?

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Neil: Whatever you do, avoid GALACTICA 80, the sequel. 80's television at its worst.

Well, the final episode with Dirk Benedict returning as Starbuck and Gary "Space Ghost" Owens as the voice of Cylon Centurion Cyrus, was tolerable.   

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

"Let me get this straight — you paid too much, then you paid extra for LESS?"

Amusing, I know.  Either way you cut it... I paid less money for something extra I already own, and/or I paid extra money for something with less picture!

A dedicated fan, a Galactica uber-nerd, or "one born every minute"... even I can't decide!  Any or all?  :)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 18 September 2018 at 12:25pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Also for the record:  There is no defending "Galactica: 1980 !"

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

This is a nice write-up over at The Digital Bits, with many opinions that I happen to agree with:

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The image of the Battlestar Galactica comic book brings back memories. I adored BSG back when it was on the air and was determined to get every comic book. At a local flea market, a guy had a box of comics, everything for 25 cents. Did I pick up the old Neal Adams X-Men comics in the box, or the old Fantastic Four comics? Nope. Stocked up on those precious BSG comics. Ironically, you can probably still find these issues in the 25 cent bins. Doesn't matter though as I enjoyed them more than I would have enjoyed the older stuff. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

That episode with Starbuck and the Cylon from Galactica: 1980 is the only one from that earlier incarnation of the franchise that bears re-watching with the possible exception of the pilot. If nothing else, (and that's likely) 1980 has that going for it.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I recently watched the original series for the first time, and enjoyed it. It has a certain wacky charm and earnestness that’s strangely endearing. 

GALACTICA 1980 is truly awful. Almost unwatchable. As Brian notes, only the pilot and the Starbuck episode are remotely passable.

I haven’t seen the rebooted series, but I’ve heard mixed reviews. The usual race/gender-swapping and darkening of the original concept doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence, but I do have a lot of respect for Ron Moore as a writer and producer, based on his STAR TREK work.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

This also doesn’t fill me with confidence regarding the reboot:

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The GALACTICA 1980 pilot fell apart for me when Dr. Zee's simulation of Earth under Cylon attack was just stock footage of Los Angeles being destroyed from EARTHQUAKE (1975) with Raiders matted in...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Just for the record, I wasn't saying the GALACTICA 1980 pilot was worthwhile. I was saying that the Starbuck episode from GALACTICA 1980 and the pilot to the original series were worthy of revisiting. The rest of the franchise from that era is difficult for me to get through. For instance, the original series episodes with Randolph Mantooth and the group of survivors from Terra literally makes no rational sense. 

GALACTICA 1980 has exactly one watchable episode, and that's the one with Dirk Benedict. That and the original pilot to BATTLESTAR are the only ones I'd recommend to anyone.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I watched the first film/pilot. Didn't much care for it - though it was obviously dated by the time I saw it.

Then I saw the reboot, and instantly loved it. That one is one of my favourite shows of all time (though I try to overlook the second half of season 4).

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version