Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: Should Golfers Be Allowed To Wear Shorts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Golfers are forced to wear trousers. The latest issue of GOLF WORLD featured a column whose writer expressed the view that golfers should be allowed to wear shorts.

In 2016, the European Tour allowed golfers to wear shorts for practice rounds, and the PGA Championship has allowed them on practice days since 2016. Outside those parameters, though, it's trousers only.

Apparently, tennis players were forced to wear trousers prior to 1932, but tennis changed that rule.

Many golfers have expressed the view that *smart* shorts should be allowed. 

Golfers, like some other sportspersons, play in some of the hottest places on the planet. Comfort would certainly be a 'thing' if golfers were allowed to move with the times - and wear shorts. 

Now, all views welcome. Do you think golf should move with the times? Or do you think trouser enforcement is right? I'm sure you know my view!
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

God, no. What's next is friggin anarchy. Must standards slip in everything?

Kidding. Although I take a certain pride when I can motivate myself to golf in trousers on a warm day, it has happened like once. 

Letting pros golf in shorts could imaginably add a certain athleticism to the sport's public image
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You had me worried for a moment, David. ;-)

I agree with you regarding the athleticism comment.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes. They should. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I say yes!

Knickerbockers are approved (I know that goes back to the original "uniform") so why not?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't see the need. They don't run. Should golf's dress code be slackened beneath that of darts?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Removed cos I rethunk the comment.

Edited by Peter Martin on 16 September 2018 at 5:47pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 3:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I would have enjoyed reading your comment, Peter.

True, they don't run, but they do play in some hot locations. That's my thinking. But as I said, ALL views welcome in this topic.

(And I mean that, life would be boring if topics consisted of "I agree..." replies one after the other. It is good to read opposing views).

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Considering the ancillary gear I've seen in other sports, I cannot imagine how golfers wearing shorts could possibly affect the integrity of golf.

Now, let's keep it classy. No torn jeans shorts, no ripped t-shirts. But golf isn't a game where everyone must always maintain the highest standard of dress. As long as everyone is safe... hit the greens!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm sure we'd keep it classy.

You know, whenever change is suggested in society as a whole, the media and some individuals talk about a 'downfall'. 

"Oh, gay marriage will lead to bigamy!" 

"The lack of ties on lorry drivers - Stobart used to make its drivers wear ties - will cause a decline in quality when it comes to delivering produce."

"UK cops wearing black polo shirts in summer - without a tie - will lead to a decline in policing."

None of those things happened. Gay marriage being introduced in the UK did not lead to bigamy; Stobart drivers wear T-shirts/jumpers, but still do a good job; and UK cops wearing a stab vest over a black polo shirt hasn't led to a decline in police culture/quality.

So I think we'd be fine with golfers wearing shorts! ;-)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When Tiger chooses to consistently wear black trousers on the final day, when Phil often wears black, and when Gary Player was known for always wearing black, and where no player ever loses those caps worn for some extra sponsorship dough, I'm sceptical that there is such a driving need to cool down (by the way, the deleted comment was related to baseball, another sport in which they do not wear shorts, but actually run. The reason I deleted it, was because I realised they probably don't wear shorts in order to protect their legs when sliding).

Golfers wearing shorts would be as fine as allowing them to wear collarless t-shirts and denim. That is, the play would be unaffected, but the whole game would be less smart and we would lose that tradition of smartness that differentiates the game from other sports. That is down to personal opinion, but I don't think it is a 'modernisation' that would improve the game one jot (by the by, the term modernisation suggests the game has been stuck in some old-fashioned rut leaving the players boiling in their clothes. Of course, 100% of players wears modern mesh fabrics).

If you want to modernise the game, there are other areas that would actually change the game for the better. For example, not requiring players to sign for their scorecards. It's an utter irrelevance on the PGA tour, on account of every stroke being recorded and watched by millions. The score is already recorded by numerous third parties by the time they enter the clubhouse. Having the players sweat over whether they might have penalty strokes added for accidentally signing their name to a mistake they made on their scorecard is an unneccessary pressure on the pros that I imagine is more stressful than wearing trousers.

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 September 2018 at 9:30am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, I agree about the scorecard issue. I'm glad you commented, and you're no doubt right about the logic behind baseball trousers).

I will Google later, but I'd like to find out more about why tennis players abolished the requirement for trousers to be worn.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Baseball players wear sliding shorts under their uniforms to protect them.
The White Sox wore Bermuda's for 3 games in '76 but it seemed the jeering they got from opposing players was enough to never let it happen again.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well, tennis really is the sport where temperature seems to be more of an issue than others. It's an endurance sport, typically played in the blazing sun. The recent US Open (though often having late-night matches) was notable for the crazy temperatures and oppressive humidity. Courtside commentators were changing shirts three times per match. Players were soaked through with sweat 20 minutes into each match. John Millman in his match with Djokovic had to just walk off to change his entire outfit, because he was so soaked that he was leaving dangerously-slippery puddles of sweat on the court.

Golf legend Sam Snead demonstrating what can be achieved in a good pair of golfing trousers:

Though Fred Perry would argue a good pair of tennis trousers offered no less freedom:

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 September 2018 at 7:19pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Note the tie in the first photo!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 2:25am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Those are cool photos!