Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Byrne Anecdote from the Local Comic Shop Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That's a great anecdote, and I kinda know exactly what you mean. Because the very same thing happened to me. Alas not with our host, as I've never been lucky enough to meet JB, but way back in the 80es I did meet Chris Claremont when he came to do a signing at the Glasgow Forbidden Planet. And it all occurred because I asked him to sign a copy  of this:-

Now to be clear, I was also getting him to sign a copy of the actual Dark Phoenix story that went out in the regular X-men books. But for whatever reason, this issue somehow landed at the top of the books I was giving him to sign. He immediately, laughed and exclaimed, "Wait! You're asking me to sign this? The crappy version?"

But even as a nervous kid, I could tell he was just having fun and playing to the crowds a bit. And he pretty soon did tell me that he was just joking with me, and that he'd be happy to sign it. So it was just a mock indignation thing on his part. But in relating this in text, I always have to be make sure I'm explaining that properly. As I imagine it would be very easy to turn that into a 'bad' story if you're not careful to explain the tone of it. I suspect this is how whatever Bad Byrne stories might be out there, get their origin. Like a typed version of the old Chinese whispers game!
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If I met JB, and he was signing books, I'd probably ask him to sign an issue of JBNM or the Puck solo issue of ALPHA FLIGHT. I'm not an autograph hound, but he is my favorite comic book creator, sooo...

(That's if I were unable to build up the courage to respectfully ask to take a picture with him.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hmmm... Looking back at what I just wrote, I am surprised to see that I didn't say, "...a copy of FANTASTIC FOUR."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I actually do have one signed comic by JB that a friend gave me back in 1993, Uncanny X-Men #121. He was a mutual John Byrne fan and I had just given him about 20 other John Byrne comics that I'd gotten as extras during a Mile High comics sale because I knew he was a fan. I wasn't really expecting anything in return but he gifted me his signed copy of X-Men #121 and I was blown away. I will never part with it. Same with the copy of Silver Surfer #1 (volume 1) that another friend gave me for my birthday. Both books are probably pretty valuable but their value to me is both sentimental and I deeply love both comics so I'll never part with them and one day they will pass to my son. All of that said, it would be really nice to meet JB myself and get him to sign a book or two. I've never taken more than two comics to have signed no matter what the actual limit is as I feel it's unfair to the people waiting in line. The last time I was in a signing line it was for Amanda Connor and people had stacks and short boxes with them and the line was painfully slow. I brought a copy of the Pro to have her sign. One comic. And not to sell on E-bay later either. I can't stand speculators or the speculator mentality. They get comics out of the price range of people who genuinely love the medium and buy books to actually read them and keep them.

Also, great story, Jason and great comic to get signed. And, indeed, the context and tone of what is said is every bit as important as what is actually said. It could misconstrue what JB, in the case of the guy I met at the LCS, or Claremont, in your case, said in jest to being cruel and mocking, which in both instances was not the case at all. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 15 September 2018 at 6:23am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wallace, I think a JBNM is a great choice as is that Puck issue of Alpha Flight. JB's Alpha Flight remains one of my favorite comics runs ever. When the guy telling me the story about getting the Doomsday +1 told me the other "worst" choice of the two books he got signed that day was JBNM #1, I actually said, I thought that was a pretty great choice. I think he was gauging it possibly more from making the book more valuable and the value of a comic to me is in how much I love it, not what it's worth.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My copy of the Phoenix issue got the stamp. Loved it. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Shane Matlock wrote:
...and the value of a comic to me is in how much I love it, not what it's worth.

Love you. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 15 September 2018 at 9:26am

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks Shane! It was a fun meeting. And despite selling most of my comics collection later in the 90es, I do still have that issue to this day.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jason, yes, there are certain comics you hold onto even when you sell the rest. During some financial hardships I sold most of my Byrne Uncanny X-Men run, but I didn't part with the 121 my friend gave me as a gift. I've recently started repurchasing the Byrne X-Men issues I parted with and, man, do I wish I'd never parted with them because issues I paid 10 dollars for back in the early nineties are going anywhere from 40-75 dollars. Ugh. As pricey as omnibuses are, as a reader, you're probably better off just getting the issues that way. 

Robbie, back atcha, man. I also share your love of letters pages. I've been glad to see them coming back in some titles over the last few years. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Shane, what titles are those? I can think of SAGA and IMMORTAL HULK. I can't think of any DC ones. I hope it becomes a trend. Glad you like letters pages!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Of the books I buy, Saga, Kill or Be Killed (all of Brubaker's books have them though sometimes it's just Bru), Lazarus (great letter's page there, very informative), Black Magick, Paper Girls, plus a few Marvel titles, but I think you're right about DC not having them anymore which sucks.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I got him to sign one issue of Doomsday +1, a Space: 1999 issue, Fearbook & Whipping Boy when I went to MOC in 2004...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version