Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: SUSPIRIA- then and now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Anybody a fan of Suspiria (1977)?  I love it.  The colors, the music, the images.  Such a bizarre little film, made even more bizarre by the (necessary) dubbing and the dialogue never changed when they decided to up the ages of the girls in the ballet school.  Since I first saw it, I have seen older films with Alida Valli and Joan Bennett as well and their wink wink casting made perfect sense. 

That said, I am heartened that the remake/reimagining looks NOTHING like the original and seems to be an entirely new story of its own, using only the barest bones of the original.  Plus- Tilda Swinton! When a remake just hits all the notes of the original, much like a cover of a song that does nothing new, I wonder why they bothered.  (I don't really include Gus Van Sant's "Psycho" as he SAID he was deliberately going for a shot-for-shot remake so we knew what we were getting.)  Anybody else?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Dario Argento is an interesting case.  Obviously he has writing chops, having contributed the story to the glorious ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.  His giallo films are also beloved by many; striking visuals, suspenseful if gory thrillers that were ahead of their time.  I love thrillers, love whodunnits, love arty camerawork; I oughta be all over this guy!  Yet try as I might, I've found something wanting in a lot of what I've seen.  I suspect a fair amount of it is lost in the translation (literally...) If I spoke Italian and was from Italy, it would surely click better.  As you say, the dubs, even on biggish hits, is generally pretty bad.  That said, there's no denying his stylish influence on the horror genre and SUSPIRIA is a great looking surrealist effort; among the more impressive production value outings of his that I've seen. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have seen SUSPIRIA at least 3 times in my life.  I love it, but for the life of me have never fully comprehended the story or the conclusion of the film.

If someone wouldn't mind doing a SPOILER SPACE and explaining the plot to me, I wouldn't hate ya for it!!

Thanks,
Marc
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marc,

***SPOILERS***
In the world, there are three witches, the Mother of Sighs (Suspirirum), the Mother of Darkness (Tenebrarum) and the Mother of Tears (Lacyrmarum).  They impact world events on a global scale.  Each witch gets a movie by Argento: Suspiria, Inferno and Mother of Tears.  Suspiria is about a ballet school secretly run by a coven of witches who never leave the school.  It is also where the Mother of Sighs lives behind a wall in her own secret chambers and can be heard sighing at night.  One rainy night, Susie Bannion arrives from America and when she gets to the school, sees a student fleeing the school in terror into the storm,.  The student takes refuge at a friend's home and she is savagely murdered by an unseen presence and the friend killed by falling glass.   Strange things happen at the school such as a rain of maggots from rotted meat and the killing of a blind pianist by his dog.  Susie herself is targeted by the witches as they know she saw the student leaving the school the night she died and they make her too ill and weak to investigate.  Susie's one friend mentions how every night, the footsteps of the teachers turns left INTO what could only be secret passages and not right, which would lead them out of the school.  She is convinced they are witches and the Directress of the school is Helena Markos, the dark mother of Sighs.  Her friend is also murdered while Susie is in a stupor.Susie realizes she is being drugged and realizes the girl who fled the school the night she arrived mentioned a "blue iris."  Susie finds the blue iris on a wall and turns it, allowing her into the chambers of the Directress where she also sees the witches at their coven.  Susie manages to kill the Mother of Sighs and escapes while the school falls down around them all.

Edited by Ed Aycock on 14 September 2018 at 12:18pm

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ed,

Thank you!!  I guess I did get the gist of the movie, but nevertheless, always felt a little lost while watching it and confused at the end.  However, I had NO idea there were THREE witches and that SUSPIRIA was part of a trilogy of films!  I will absolutely seek out the other two movies.

Again, thank you!
Marc
Back to Top profile | search

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Huge fan of Suspiria and very excited for the new film.

As mentioned above the film has its own distinct look and take on the story which for me is better than trying to ape Argento's film.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version