Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 09/12/2018 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's what I've got waiting for me once I find the time in my incredibly busy schedule to get down to the LCS and pick them up.

• CATWOMAN #3 - My son likes this series.  I'm a little less committed but I'm reading it as well.  
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #5 - I think the presence of Mary Jane is what keeps we engaged.  It's actually well written - I'm not as crazy about the art (but that's just me)
  • DAREDEVIL #608 - I'm a couple of months behind on this title, but I'm looking forward to how it gets resolved
  • DOMINO #6 - Way behind on this title.     
  • FANTASTIC FOUR #2 - I had mixed feelings about the first issue.  I'll give it a try for a few months.  It'll be nice when they're all back together.     
  • PETER PARKER SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN#309 - I think I'm one month behind on this one, but for the most part, I find it interesting.  I'm sure the shoe will eventually drop where Jonah forgets who Spider-Man really is.     
  • X-MEN BLUE #35 - Way behind on the X-Men titles.
  • ARCHIE 1941 #1 - I'm really looking forward to this one.  I'm a sucker for the historical period and am very interested in what they're doing.

What are you getting?
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

G.I. JOE #256 for me. Been following it since Shawn Kane got me hooked again. A new arc has started. Who can resist an arc called "The Cobra's Venom"?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Mage Hero Denied #12- I've been enjoying this and I thank Matt Wagner for taking 30+ years to tell the story so that I can keep up.

G.I. Joe A Real American Hero #256- Thanks for the shout out, Robbie! Dr. Venom was such a great villain back in the early run of G.I. Joe. The only thing that I don't feel 100% on board for with this book is the art. I'd gotten used to S.L. Gallant and his presence is missed.

Hawkman #4- Hawkman is a favorite character but this is the first solo book that I've really enjoyed and I'm not even a Bryan Hitch fan!

Superman #3- I still like what Bendis is doing so far but the pace needs to pick up.

Fantastic Four #2- I want to like you, I want to like you, I want to like you...I decided long ago that anyone not named Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, or John Byrne will not be able to make the FF my favorite book but I just want a book that I can enjoy and I fear that Dan Slott and Sara Pichelli may not be the team to do that for me. We'll see.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have heard mainly lukewarm reactions to the FF comic, Shawn.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have been one of those lukewarm reactions, Robbie. Slott is a perfectly good writer but his Spider-Man left me cold. Many people didn't feel that way and herald it as a return to form. Sara Pichelli is a really great artist but her Ben Grimm really bugs me. I hate to say it, but the last Ben Grimm that I felt was really rendered properly was drawn by Andrea DiVito for the Thing solo book from a decade ago (written, coincidentally, by Dan Slott).

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dark Horse/Berger Books: She Could Fly #3 of 4.
DC: Superman #3 (Adam Hughes cover).
IMAGE: Oblivion Song #7.
MARVEL: Fantastic Four #2.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

CEMETERY BEACH #1 - For a time in the 90s/00s, I was a bit of a "Warren Ellis Zombie." I lost that loving feeling after one too many incomplete projects and a sense that I've heard everything he has to say, but he says this series has already been fully drawn so I'll give it a go.

HEY KIDS COMICS #2 - Chaykin's hit and miss but the subject matter has potential, so I'll give it a go. (Have #1 on order, but haven't gotten it yet.)

MAGE HERO DENIED #12 - The great torment of following creator owned work is that you run a pretty large risk of never seeing a proper conclusion, so the existence of this series truly thrills me. The early issues didn't disappoint. Haven't read any since because it's not an early 80s DC comic. :-)

WICKED & DIVINE #39 - Final chapter in the penultimate story that I believe is the big explanation story. (See above for why I don't know for sure.)    

SEEDS #2 - Ordered #1 on a whim and here we are.

GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #256 - generally a pretty solid read. Sad to say - the fact that it's gone over 100 issues now without someone screwing with the number is a delight in itself.

LOEG TEMPEST #2 - the last LEOG project and also the last comics project both Moore and O'Neil tend to do. I can live without Moore, but it would be nice if O'Neil could squeeze in one last Marshal Law before he calls it a day.

FANTASTIC FOUR #2 - see Shawn Kane's comments (although I'd add Walt Simonson). All I'm really looking for is a pleasant monthly visit with some dear friends. I really hope I'm not aiming too high.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

OBLIVION SONG #7
CATWOMAN #1-3

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Superman #3
Plastic Man #4
Fantastic Four #2
True Believers: Luke Cage Hero for Hire #1
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Dave Phelps wrote:
GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #256 - generally a pretty solid read. Sad to say - the fact that it's gone over 100 issues now without someone screwing with the number is a delight in itself.

This is what I like about companies outside the "Big Two". UK weekly 2000 AD recently released its 2098th issue. I got a letter printed once, and did ask them if they'd ever renumber. The editor replied, telling me they were proud of the number of issues under their belt, and had absolutely no plans to renumber.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Edited by Michael Hogan on 15 September 2018 at 12:49pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

CEMETERY BEACH #1 - Ellis promises a more action-oriented book than his last couple books, so I'll give it a try.

THE BEAUTY #23 - Always enjoyable.

CROWDED #2 - Issue 1 was probably my favorite new comic in years.

POSER #1 - Some kind of slasher thing, which I'll always try.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version