Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: WB’s BIG DC Films Shake-Up Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The internet declares Cavill should switch to Marvel and play the Sentry.

Depresses the heck out of me that that fake character has become canonical.

Back to Top profile | search

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Now, I'll initially state that apart from watching Supergirl on TV (and not keeping up), I'm not watching the other DC TV series, even though I've heard they're pretty good.  I just don't have enough time to watch them.

That said, I was mystified as to why the DC movies are constantly recasting an actor like Grant Gustin, who's currently doing Barry Allen (The Flash) on TV with someone totally different.  I don't get it.  Granted, I have yet to watch the Justice League movie (it's on my shelf).

I think this is where the Marvel Studios gets it right and DC does not.  There's true continuity, but people don't have to watch a previous Marvel movie to know what's going on.  My wife and son enjoyed the Black Panther standalone, even though he did previously appear in Captain America: Civil War.  It was the same actor.  Even the crossovers into Marvel TV have kept a consistency (so far), with the one possible exception being Ghost Rider (who was done by Nicolas Cage on the big screen.  For example, Phil Coulson did the Avengers on the big screen and transitioned to the TV SHIELD series). 

I'm not counting the X-Men/FF films and reboots, since they're not at the moment being done by the Marvel Studios.  I'm not counting Spider-Man either, although Tom Holland is consistently being used.

It'll be interesting to see how Marvel does the transition of its main characters once the actor's contracts run out.  Do they follow trends in the comics (e.g. having Bucky become Captain America), or do they do a James Bond and just recast.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
The internet declares Cavill should switch to Marvel and play the Sentry.

How about Captain Britain?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Gladiator perhaps? Hyperion? Wundarr? Superbman? Count Nefaria? The Survivor?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I had to look up Sentry as he is after my time. Sheesh, what editor allowed such an all powerful character to be created in the modern era?

Anyway, Cavill does have a classic superhero look. I wouldn't mind seeing him do Simon Williams.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Has the Sentry replaced Hyperion (or even Gladiator) as Marvel's main Superman analogue? That's really depressing. 

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It seems Jon Hamm is back in the rumor mill for Batman again. I'd be
more than happy if he got on board.

Edited by Philip Obaza on 13 September 2018 at 5:02pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Sentry is such a pointless character. 

ďWe acknowledge that a Superman analog doesnít really work in the Marvel Universe, so to justify why he doesnít just solve all the worldís problems, weíre giving him crippling mental illness.Ē

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Hamm would've been great a decade ago but at 47, he's OLDER than Affleck.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

At 47 I think Hamm is just too old to play Batman/Bruce Wayne.  In my mind, Batman is about 35 at the OLDEST.

Marc

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

But why should that matter? At 47 the guy still looks great. He has classic look to him, a great voice and range and Iím sure heíd be willing to work out for the role. Iíd much rather at least one good Batman film with someone like him in the lead. With Superman personally I could care less what they do now. I still have the perfect 78 movie but Iím still waiting for that one good live action Batman movie.

Edited by Tony Marin on 14 September 2018 at 8:40am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hamm has the face and the voice of a superhero. I liked him for Superman (with a time machine), but I think it was JB that suggested him for the Spirit.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 14 September 2018 at 9:12am

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Judging on the Batman movie track record he's only be in the role for two or three movies, and I'm fine with Hamm for that.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I'd rather see Hamm in a proper version of THE SPIRIT.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Tony,

If Hamm didn't look like he was in his early 50's I would agree with you that his age shouldn't matter.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 14 September 2018 at 12:32pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I'm with JB, regarding John Hamm as the Spirit. He'd also make a great choice for a proper Green Hornet. 

If he had to play a DC character, however, I'd cast him as an older Hal Jordan. 

Marvel? No brainer. Reed Richards.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Marc,
Well I think a more healthy mature look works for a character like Batman which Jon has. Like I said, just one good film of the character and Iím happy. Iím getting tired of these ongoing ďfranchisesĒ. Most of the time itís just wash, rinse, repeat. Marvel is an exception because they tried something on a scale thatís never been done before.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I kind of think now that DC may do better by going the opposite direction of Marvel and develop their flagship characters on tv , and I donít mean like the CW stuff. Imagine 10 episode seasons of icons like Superman and Batman. Well produced, well thought out concise series that will flesh out all the characters in a way a movie every three years canít. Hell, you can easily use John Byrnesí Man of Steel as a template for the first season of Superman with it ending by Clark finally discovering  his origins. If these shows then prove popular enough, do a film every couple of years dealing with something epic using the tv cast. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

ITEM: I don't want an old Batman. I don't want a young Batman. I want an adult Bruce Wayne and an ageless Batman.

ITEM: Why not the DCU characters? They've already shown most of the Justice League, a few JSAers, and a Legionnaire or four, and I think that far and away, they've hit it right. (I have higher expectations for the Atom and Brainiac 5, but you can't have it all.*) We've seen Superman on TV, doing an eminently credible performance, and we know almost certainly that Bruce Wayne is in the Arrowverse.

As for a ten episode season - Tony M., you go wash your mouth out with soap! :) I'm tired of foreshortened seasons anyhow; now you want to cut back for Superman and Batman? Not for me, please; I'd like longer seasons.

How? A six episode arc including (briefly) Kal-El's journey to Earth and growing up Clark. (Maybe a crossover episode with Superboy, Supergirl, and the Legion of Super-Heroes. DROOL!)

A six episode arc including (briefly) the deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne, and the development of Batman.

Episodes 13 and 14 is a two-part crossover introducing the World's Finest team.

Another four episode arc with Superman. Another four episode arc with Batman and Dick Grayson (oh yes... I want the Boy Wonder!)

Episodes 23 - 26 are part of the BIG crossover with all the DC characters. Or 23 and 24 with the World's Finest team, and 25 and 26 with the Justice League of America.

We call it "Superman and Batman: the World's Finest!" THAT'S what I'd like to see!

If (when) this hits, you just use all those actors in your next big movies. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League - I don't care. But a little consistency and consistently good stories would be a powerhouse - for heaven's sake, it's DC. EIGHTY YEAR OLD characters! Marvel has Captain America, who was in his own book, the Invaders, and the Avengers at once. Superman and Batman topped that in a good month at DC.

Now, I'd also like to see a baby zebra run across my lawn, so my expectations are not so high... :) But - as with everyone else - I don't see why DC can't dominate the super hero broadcast and movie market.

*Where would you keep it?

Edited by Eric Sofer on 18 September 2018 at 7:39am

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I would want it as a ten episode season solely because it may mean a higher budget per episode like what HBO do, if such as deal were possible. Personally I donít like the old 22 episode a year format, pretty much all my favourite shows are around 12 ep a year. Iíd definitely keep it away from the CW style. Those are just terrible. But itíll never happen. Theyíll make rubbish like Gotham, Titans, Krypton and the so called Arrowverse while their movie stuff will just implode, hopefully. After having one embarrassing failure after another, how do the the heads at WB keep their jobs? Do people just fail upwards in Hollywood?

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Tony, GOTHAM and the Arrowverse have been huge successes for their respective networks. KRYPTON was not a critical hit, but did well enough for SYFY to order a second season. 

Who exactly should lose their job over these projects, which have done nothing but make WB money?

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I might be alone here, but I like the DCEU films and think that the critical and Internet reaction were unfair.
I think MOS, BvS and JL are fairly good films. But, mind you, they are not as good as the MCU films, there is something lacking in them IMO.

I appreciate that they did not just imitate the style of the MCU films, but tried to have their own tone. 
In my opinion, a few lighter moments in MOS and BvS would have helped make the films more enjoyable. And they should have made their points more obvious (for instance, a lot of people did not realized that the Batman we saw in BvS was not a normal, status quo Batman, but an embittered one, who is "saved" by Superman at the end). Specially, the Superman we saw in JL should have appeared in BvS at the latest.
But I think all that bashing against BvS was disproportionate.

Then, WB tried to avoid that to happen again and they changed the tone in JL a little too much. The film is enjoyable per se, and we finally see a very good Superman; but the change of tone feels strange in continuity. As for critics and Internet people, "damned if I do, damned if I don't".

I would have liked to see not just good films, but great films, and this feels like a lost opportunity. But I do not think these films are that bad.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

@Doug I meant  those in charge of the movies. The tv stuff, while I donít like them, I accept have a huge fan base and good on them. The only one I thought was relatively strong was the first season of Flash but after that it sort of repeated itself from what I could tell so I lost interest in it pretty quick. The movie stuff though, I canít believe they could spend that much money on something so consistently bad not only as adaptations but also as films with a coherent story. I think they could have easily adapted the approach from the various Timm and Dini cartoons and be in a much better position but no, they chose to copy the tone from Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Gladiator perhaps? Hyperion? Wundarr? Superbman? Count Nefaria? The Survivor?

Oh my -- the thought of Cavill as Count Nefaria boggles the mind!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version