Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: WB’s BIG DC Films Shake-Up Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Even with the stellar casting of Christopher Reeve, there have been, what, one and a half good Superman movies out of how many tries?
--

Most of those made before a time when superhero movies were actually a THING. And I would say that the characterisation of Superman is not the problem with Superman II, III or even IV. 

Then Singer's movie arrives, and the tendency to over-complicate the character begins. As it had in comics. 

If there is a problem, it's that DC have focused so much on his alien origins and made his powers so great over the years, that they removed him from his more down-to-earth beginnings. There have been attempts to fix that, by Denny O'Neill or JB to name two, but unfortunately it didn't stick. 

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Most of those made before a time when superhero movies were actually a THING
-----------------------------------------------------------
And how many good Superman movies were made after superhero movies were actually a 'thing'?

Steve raises a fair point. The evidence does point to filmmakers struggling with Superman, for whatever reason.

I'm not convinced it's to do with with the specifics of  the character per se, more to do with the weight of the history and resultant audience expectation, but regardless the evidence does point to an inability on behalf of filmmakers to do the character justice.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Superman is an authority figure (as are most superheroes in general). The people running Hollywood (and comics) these days are "bad boys" who scoff at authority figures. That's why Wolverine is KEEEEWWWLL. And why they "struggle" with Superman.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Any comments from the Russo Brothers are moot, anyway... last I checked, they haven't been handed the reigns to any potential SUPERMAN film, so no harm, no foul.  Just their own opinion at this point.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2019 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, WB is pencilling in Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN for June  25, 2021.

Ben Affleck won't be reprising the role after playing the Dark Knight in 3 DC films... he's done and this movie will focus on a younger Bruce Wayne*.

(*Won't be based on Frank Millerís Batman: Year One!)

Also, the Suicide Squad sequel is set for Aug. 6, 2021 with James Gunn writing and directing.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2019 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I say we give the Squad a spaceship, have them recruit a miniature Floronic Man, maybe bring in Dex-Starr from the Red Lanterns, and we are off to the races! Maybe have Captain Comet in there somewhere, listening to vinyl albums from 1951, as he dances around and works with the team the way he did the Secret Society back in the day...

As for a new Batman film...  at this point, I could not care less. Maybe they could bring in Kevin Smith to have him wet his pants when a chafing dish catches fire. So kewl.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not only that, but THE BATMAN is going to be...

...wait for it...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The detective story element sounds promising until you hear the director came to us via Felicity and Cloverfield. I have no faith whatsoever in any Bad Robot clown or their ability to tell a story. It'd be nice to be wrong, however, so I'll still wish the film the best, while making no plans to see it myself absent some solid post-release word-of-mouth.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version