Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: The Adventures of Superman - George Reeves Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I just wanted to share this very cool color photo of George Reeves as Superman at a public appearance to promote Superman toys.

I know the TV series "The Adventures of Superman" was instrumental in getting JB interested in superheroes, and eventually comics. I also enjoyed watching the series in syndicated reruns when I was a child.

Did you watch the show? What are your thoughts about it... favorite episodes, and such?

Edited by Matt Hawes on 10 September 2018 at 11:51am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I saw it on DVD a few years ago (some episodes had aired on UK TV many moons ago).

I really like the stories. I would have preferred more supervillains, but it was all utterly compelling. Episodes such as "The Haunted Lighthouse" and "Night of Terror" are gripping from beginning to end.

"Night of Terror", which sees Lois kidnapped at an inn in Canada, is one of my favourites. Sure, the criminals aren't going to give Superman a hard time when he catches them (I enjoyed seeing him clean their clocks), but that episode, like many, often featured Clark having to solve a mystery or "crack a case" in order to learn where the bad guys or a kidnapped colleague was.

Nothing but respect for the show, Matt. Thanks for posting that picture.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

George Reeves will probably always be 'my' Superman in the sense that the reruns are where I first experienced the character, before the comics even.  I know for most people my age its Christopher Reeve, but I only had access to his performance in televised showings of the first film, which were three hours or more with commercials.  My childhood attention span never made it to him putting on the costume.  So I appreciate the Reeve films as an adult, but when I think of Superman, particularly when I picture Clark Kent, its the George Reeves version engrained in my brain.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I remember it in reruns as a kid, coming on in the evenings right around supper time. Because I was a Marvel kid, the tv show, the movies, and the Superfriends were my Superman stories until Man of Steel. I own the entire series on DVD and break them out pretty often.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 10 September 2018 at 4:12pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Can we just settle it now, even if he's not your favorite, that George Reeves had the best, warmest, most beaming smile of all the on-screen Supermen??

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie wrote:
...Nothing but respect for the show, Matt. Thanks for posting that picture...

My pleasure. I thought it was too cool not to share.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Adventures of Superman was a pretty darned good treatment of the Man of Steel. Strong characters, usually strong stories (from what I recall), and what I liked best was that Clark Kent was not a craven coward; he was a serious character.

George Reeves was a great Superman! He could be tough, or nice, or funny, and I wouldn't have wanted more from a Superman than that. I feel that Chris Reeve followed in his footsteps and example. 

I don't remember too many TAoS having Lois try to dig up Superman's identity, which was fine with me.

And certainly, my favorite Superman moment had to be his guest spot on "I Love Lucy." "And they call ME a Superman!"

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yes, for me this is where it all began ó tho I didnít see any of the shows in color until I picked up the DVDs, decades later.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I had read somewhere that though the later episodes were filmed in color, it wasn't until they were in reruns that they aired in color. 

Edited by Matt Hawes on 11 September 2018 at 9:45am

Kirk Moberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was on a rerun of this show where I first was exposed to Supermanís origin story.  I was just about 8 or 9 and it never occurred to me to ask how did Superman become Superman.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I also don't remember seeing these in color until I was a lot older.

Loved and still love the show. One of my earliest tv memories is Superman grabbing a pistol and crushing it in his hands. The serious portrayal made me revere Superman at a young age.

George Reeve's and the Fleischer cartoon are my tv Superman's

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
George Reeves will probably always be 'my' Superman

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN television series ifeatures my
favorite version of the character period.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

As a youngster I was often aggravated by color and black and white episodes of AOS.  I was a little too young to understand that the series had aired for years and some were older than others.  I think the first episode I must have seen was a later one and in color so it was imprinted on me that the show was in color.  

It always caused some anxiety waiting for the show to come on and hoping the TV wouldn't go on the fritz again and lose it's color just when the Superman show was on.  I'd fiddle with the knobs, twisting and twisting trying to get the color back, thinking I'd finally got when the commercial came on and then getting mad at the TV again when it went back to the show and turned black and white again.

Of course, I used to wonder why the song on the radio in the car didn't pick back up from when we got out of the car and turned it off.  Things were much different back when I was the center of the universe.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It was a staple on our b&w tv in the early '70s. The opening and closing was always exciting even if an individual episode here and there was a bit run of the mill; you'd stick around just to see those bits again! No wonder the occasional dumb kid might actually have thought it was real and jump in the air with a towel tied around their neck back in the original airing time, I can see that, although not off a roof. I think a lot of kids would yell Shazam! back before that with that slender hope that it was worth one try. :^)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Was it filmed in colour? I recall reading that Reeves
wore a brown outfit as the contrast looked better with
it being filmed in black and white.
I agree about the smile!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I wish Reeves had at least altered his voice while being Clark Kent. Or Superman. Something to ensure that the two had different voices.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Bill Collins wrote:
...Was it filmed in colour? I recall reading that Reeves wore a brown outfit as the contrast looked better with
it being filmed in black and white...

Bill, the first few seasons were filmed and broadcast in black and white. And, yes, for those episodes the actual costume worn by Reeves was brown, gray, and white, instead of read, blue, and yellow. Later episodes were filmed in color, but original broadcasts of those episodes were still aired in black and white. They would eventually be broadcast in color when they were put into reruns after the series stopped production of new episodes.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

As an amusing experiment, watch "Superman's first night" from SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE (1978) with the color turned off. You'll very quickly see why Reeves wore that oddly colored suit for the black and white filming.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I saw the grey and brown suit a couple time, and I loved it. I instantly understood what it was and its purpose.... and it was SUPERMAN'S suit!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Thank`s Matt!

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

A History of Superman's Costume

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

While Iíll always view Reeve as the ultimate personification of the character for the original movie only, I think he was let down by the following films. There was something a little too alien in his approach that obviously was the version of the character in the books at the time. Reeves on the other hand, while not in the best physical shape, had the character and his humanity locked down so perfectly that it overcame whatever shortcomings there were production wise. I havenít seen every episode but I can tell what endeared him to an entire generation as Superman. I doubt the likes of Cavill will be able to say the same. Maybe  if we could merge Reeve and Reeves weíd have the ultimate Superman.

Edited by Tony Marin on 25 September 2018 at 3:49am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version