Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Should TAS Be Canon? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Look at this:

I have never seen TAS, so can't have a view on this. I may have seen one episode, but only know the bare details.

EDIT: Wrestling link from wrestling topic accidentally pasted here. Link fixed. (Damn cut and paste, eh? Doing too many things at once!).

Edited by Robbie Parry on 07 September 2018 at 2:18pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Look at this:

——

What do wrestling-themed scratcher lottery tickets have to do with Star Trek TAS?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oops, copied and pasted wrong thing. Try this:

EDIT: Did I cut and paste the TAS link in the wrestling topic? Best go and check.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 07 September 2018 at 2:22pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This?

Anyway, I haven’t watched it since I was a kid, but it had the same actors and many of the same writers, so I’d lean toward the canon side. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A lot of the Animated episodes are sequels to TOS episodes.  A few have really goofy premises.  But I recently rewatched season 3 of TOS, so...compared to that, it’s fair to middlin’.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My vote is "canon".

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's been both. First it was official, then Roddenberry basically disowned it, then over the years it has slowly crept back into the mix.

The cartoon itself is a real mixed bag but some of them were written by people who wrote for TOS and it does feature the voices of most of the cast, so a good argument could be made for it being considered canon.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Would this mean that 40 foot Spock clone is still roaming the galaxy somewhere? If so, any chance he can get his own spin-off series?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

For years, I was not happy by the dismissive attitude taken towards the animated series. It was, whatever it's weaknesses due to time constraints and Saturday morning animation, nevertheless still the work of Roddenberry, Fontana, and a number of other "serious" writers. To me, the addition of nearly the entire original cast meant that the series deserved a good deal more respect than it was receiving.

Roddenberry and co. could have simply collected a licensing fee and turned the show over to the usual type of Saturday Morning bastardization shows like The Brady Kids and The Partridge Family In Outer Space were receiving. Filmation wanted to give the crew a team of Wendy and Marvin style junior space cadets to train, an adorable alien sidekick, and a musical number or two every episode. Picture shots of Kirk on a space-guitar and Spock at the drums while Uhura plays keyboards and Chapel shakes a tambourine. An electrical space creature could chase them from side-to-side across the screen while the strains of the "Shock Spock Rock" played over the "action." 

In the end, the kids' pet space-creature Glimpo could point humorously at the keyboard over and over again until one of the kids snaps their finger and realizes they can talk to the electrical monster using MUSIC! The monster apologizes for scaring everyone and says he just wants to go back home to his family in the asteroid field the ship just passed through and everyone enjoys a hearty chuckle as Uhura tells everyone how important it is to communicate when problems arise! "I think Glimpo is only listening to his stomach!" one of the Space Cadets observes as the hungry comic relief alien eats Chapel's tambourine and takes a healthy bite out of Kirk's space guitar while everyone laughs. 

Hey, it could have happened, and it was only the efforts of Roddenberry, Fontana, and co. that prevented it. Their dedication to the integrity of Star Trek and the intelligence of their viewers deserves better than the off-hand, sneering disparagement the show's been given over the years. 

Fontana's "Yesteryear" was generally considered to be the only TAS episode that was canon, focusing as it did upon Spock's childhood. I myself have gone back and forth on certain episodes, such as "The Ambergris Element" in which Kirk and Spock are transformed into water-breathing mermen. Did I really want mermen mixed in with my Star Trek...?

Well, if you're a fan of TNG and Voyager, you're used to the crew being turned into reptiles, lemurs, spiders, and rutting salamander creatures... Suddenly the animated series looks positively restrained in comparison. If those episodes are in, why not include the giant pink tribble and Mudd's love potion? 

Ultimately, while I don't support the idea of a strict "canon" for entertainment franchises, I do think the animated series deserves a level of inclusion commensurate with the other shows. I may not like "Bem" or "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" all that much, but if they have to go, so does that time-freeze episode of TNG wherein Picard is reduced to a giggling idiot drawing happy faces in clouds of toxic gas. Fair's fair, guys.

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 September 2018 at 9:16pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ray Brady wrote: "Would this mean that 40 foot Spock clone is still roaming the galaxy somewhere? If so, any chance he can get his own spin-off series?"

Yes, Ray. You are in luck! Tune in to CBS All Access this fall as The Infinite Vulcan teams up with the giant clone from the 1977 Superman Spectacular and the Ameridroid in "Big Things!" 

"CBS. We're making giant strides. Just try to keep up with us..."

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2018 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian H. - DISCUSSION: Should all episodes of TOS and subsequent series be canon? 'Cause I can think of a few that should just be, "That never happened, please ignore it, nothing to see here."

Might make a good topic...

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I vote “canon”. Why not?

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Yes

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Yeah, canon.

I did like "The Time Trap" episode where we see a brief glimpse of the Bonaventure trapped in the Delta Triangle.

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 10 September 2018 at 11:27am

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2018 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Writers who worked on TAS were outraged when Roddenberry announced the series was not cannon, except for Yesteryear. If that was the case the writers moaned, then why did Roddenberry subject us to just as many rewrites followed by his own script doctoring that they encountered on TOS?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version