Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Have tickets for Sunday.  The GF really wants to see the one, we've probably seen 3/4 of the Marvel movies in the theater together and this (along with the Captain America movies, which I loved) is a rare instance where she's probably more excited about it than I am.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Enjoyed this one for the most part. It was fun to see a younger Nick Fury (but geeze, did the lost of his eye really need to be reduced to a comedic bit?)

On a 1-10 scale, I would give this one a high 7. 

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I didn't feel Captain Marvel have any real character progression. She switched loyalties from Kree to Skrull, and that was about it. I think this movie is a lot like the first Thor. It establishes the character, but there's a lot more that needs to be done to flesh out the hero.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I would put it at the middle (or lower) of the pack.

*SPOILER ALERT*

There are a number of things that bothered me about the movie, but
making Skrulls good guys was the most troublesome.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The turnabout on the disposition of the Skrulls read more to me like the MCU Kree/Skrull war had a conclusion, and the Skrulls lost.  So they were in the "just trying to survive" phase.  Not "good guys" as such, just the largely civilian casualties of a horrible war. It also made sense from the chain of lies that Carol had been given that the Skrull turned out to be not what she was told.
As Fury found out, Talos (even in retrospect) was plenty capable of violence to get what he wanted if he felt it necessary.
BTW Ben Mendelsohn was terrific as usual here.

One thing I found particularly pleasing was that Carol was not portrayed as an anti-hero.  Far too much of that going on now.  Characters who are not fundamentally flawed are "poorly written" or "not fleshed out," or worse, "not realistic."  <-quoting some recent YouTube critics/comments.

Horribly sad that some people cannot accept a character who is not broken in some fashion in escapist fantasies
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Joe>>I didn't feel Captain Marvel have any real character progression.<<

This isn't really a requirement in literally any story unless you are using it to drive the subtext.  E.g., The Martian (as Andy Weir himself points out) has no character arc for Watney.  Same guy at the end as he was in the beginning, he doesn't learn anything or grow as a person. The story isn't about that.

Carol's story is that she was constantly told by other people who she was and ultimately she begged to differ.  One of the "choke you up" moments for me is when she agreed that she was "only human" accompanied by a montage of her getting up literally every time she fell down.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
The turnabout on the disposition of the Skrulls read more to me like the MCU Kree/Skrull war had a conclusion, and the Skrulls lost.  So they were in the "just trying to survive" phase.  Not "good guys" as such, just the largely civilian casualties of a horrible war.

That was my take as well. There were enough hints with Talos that he was ashamed about his past involvement with the war. And he wasn't above threatening a child to get what he wanted.

Plus, there's nothing that precludes the Skrulls from returning as villains in future movies. They'd just be factional terrorists, rather than an entire empire trying to conquer Earth. Which I think makes for a better state of things. In the comics, after the Kree-Skrull War, they kept having to come up with reasons why neither empire wouldn't just wipe Earth off the map.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I didn't like the revision to the Skrulls. They're really fun villains, a great deal more than the Kree. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Conrad, I see your point about character progression. But if there isn't going to be any, it had better be a damn good story. 

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Saw it last night and just loved it. This was a celebratory Marvel movie, full of excitement and awesomeness. The Stan Lee opening had me teared up, but I loved it.

I went into this movie thinking they were laying the ground work for a larger Skrull storyline for future movies. I was convinced that, since it took place so long ago, that there would be a huge revelation about the current MCU. My guess was that Fury was actually going to die in this movie and it would be revealed that he's been a Skrull this whole time. Boy was I wrong! 

Still fun as hell, very high on my list of favorite MCU films.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not my favorite. I would put it in my bottom third of MCU movies. Maybe I'll like it more when it comes to Disney+

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It was a bland popcorn flick. Not MCU material. Plot was pedestrian. The cat was funny. Waste of the Skrulls. I'm not totally sure what Captain Marvel's powers entail besides emitting 'plasma'. I rank it in the bottom 5 MCU movies. The post credit scenes were some of the best parts.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version