Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Watched it a second time and enjoyed it more.

QUOTE:
Despite having limited screentime, I find myself lamenting Minn-Erva's demise.  Gemma Chan brought a lot of screen presence.

I found it weird that Jude Law used his natural British accent while she used an American one, which I don’t think I’ve seen her do before. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

CAPTAIN MARVEL's four-day gross, day by day, with particular attention paid to Monday (a work day):

Now, yes, is that Monday less than the $40+ mil that BLACK PANTHER brought in a year ago on its fourth day?  Sure. BLACK PANTHER also had a higher first Monday return than AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR. Haters gonna hate, so they can point to that.  But neither ANT-MAN AND THE WASP nor DOCTOR STRANGE grossed more than $7 mil on the first Monday after they opened.  CM has a $75 and $68 mil jump on both of those films, respectively, and is exceeding their weekly numbers as well (and ANT-MAN AND THE WASP was a summer film, which normally allows for more attendance during the week).  

The narrative of failure gets thinner and thinner, stretched to the point of...agenda?  I dunno.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Here's the thing: those that proclaimed CAPTAIN MARVEL a failure before it debuted, and certainly before seeing it for themselves, have been either strangely silent over the last several days or going on absurd rants using twists of logic to justify their absurd claims of failure.  But I think after a humbling defeat wherein their prognostication proved horribly false, the vast majority are actually waiting for the second weekend returns to claim "victory" in their petty little misogynistic war.  They'll use the numbers to point to declines that INFINITY WAR and BLACK PANTHER never experienced in their second weekends, metrics no normal human being would ever use.  But they'll do it just the same.  Despite the fact that CAPTAIN MARVEL will earn more domestically by this weekend than ANT-MAN did in five months (its entire domestic run).  CM will earn more in ten days than nearly a month of returns for DOCTOR STRANGE and will easily exceed the $176 mil gross GOTG achieved after two weeks. 

Just wait, though.  It's coming.  Like I said, haters gonna hate.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Now, yes, is that Monday less than the $40+ mil that BLACK PANTHER brought in a year ago on its fourth day?

——-

Also keep in mind that it was a holiday.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Noted!  Something else that will slip by those with an agenda claiming CM a failure.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The family and I saw it on Saturday with no expectations.
Three out of the four of us did not like it at all. The
other gave it a "meh" review.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw it last night with my son. He loved it, thought CM was 'pretty awesome". I liked it a lot, probably up there with Dr. Strange and Civil War, might have needed a little more action, but her character was pretty great, I'm hoping for another solo adventure for her.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What a failure. 

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I thought this movie was excellent - I was so into this I got choked up during the “only human” sequence, which was the montage of Captain Marvel getting up over and over again.

I loved the dynamic between CM and Nick Fury - Jackson is on screen so much and the de-aging effect works so well that I forgot he was de-aged for most of the movie!

I like the Skrull twist - it caught me off guard at first, which was effective.  I like how the MCU is introducing the Skrulls - their entire culture isn’t evil as we meet post war refugees.

This was such a great movie, I picked up a “Make It a Blockbuster Night” t-shirt the next day!  :-)

One of my favorite gags was when she landed in the Blockbuster store and picks up a VHS box of THE RIGHT STUFF - just perfect!

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I guess I did have one tiny thing that kind of bugged me: the use of "Just A Girl" during one of the fight scenes. I just felt that particular song wasn't right for that scene, I feel like they should've flipped "just a Girl" with "Celebrity Skin". Just a minor quibble though, didn't take me out of the scene enough to ruin it.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just wait, though. It's coming. Like I said, haters gonna hate.

Matt, I think that a lot of the hate for this movie before and after it's release is partly due to the hate many fans feel about how the character is currently written in the comics (which has amp up the whole "girl power" message to a ridiculously preachy level and Carol being written as an over powered Mary Sue) and because of some of the comments that Brie Larson has made. A lot of the haters thought that this movie was going to be an overly preachy "girl power" and "woman empowerment" message. And while there was definitely some "girl power"/"women empowerment" messages in this film, it was nowhere near as overtly preachy as it has been in the comics over the last several years.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John:"I guess I did have one tiny thing that kind of
bugged me: the use of "Just A Girl" during one of the
fight scenes."
I agree. My daughter commented that it seemed they just
threw that song in and didn't feel right for the moment.

One of my complaints was that the Skrull knew what "jazz
hands" were but didn't know that someone's butt was
called an "ass"

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Count me in as someone who felt that the No Doubt song didn't work for the fight scene. 

As an old-school Ms. Marvel fan, I've always felt that Carol could have easily been given the Captain Marvel name sooner than a few years ago but as a Monica Rambeau fan, anything but Captain Marvel for her code name doesn't sound authentic (What if Marvel hadn't de-emphasized Monica in the late 80's and early 90's?).

Carol became Captain Marvel more for the fact that Marvel has been trying to make her their Wonder Woman for the last 15+ years rather than the popularity of the character. They keep telling us, both as a company and in story, that she's so inspiring to the Marvel Universe but they've never shown us. I didn't read Civil War II but I've read that she doesn't look too good in that storyline. When Carol became Captain Marvel, more was made about the Carol Corps (basically cosplayers) than what was going on in her book. I wonder had Marvel just made the name change and tweaked her costume (pants) if she would have been just a little more popular. New costume, new look, and no story explanation almost makes her seem like a different character. They still haven't committed to giving her an A-List creative team in the comics so I figure that the movie will create more fans than the comics ever have.  I'm glad the movie has been successful because Marvel Comics still doesn't seem to be able to do the character any justice.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 13 March 2019 at 11:36am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I’m REALLY hoping grown-up Monica shows up and gets Powers somewhere. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

One of my complaints was that the Skrull knew what "jazz  hands" were but didn't know that someone's butt was  called an "ass"

——-

As I recall, Talos understood “ass”. What he was confused about was Maria telling him where she would shove/stick it. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

REALLY hoping grown-up Monica shows up and gets Powers somewhere. 

Same here.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Monica Rambeau’s powers make her a formidable superhero. She’s
female and Black, so imagine the push back Photon will get if she
is prominently featured in upcoming Marvel movies!

*Based on what we saw in the movie, it’s likely that Photon will be her
name instead of Spectrum. Ugh. I can just see her getting a small
portion of Captain Marvel’s powers via photon blast...

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

*Based on what we saw in the movie, it’s likely that Photon will be her
name instead of Spectrum. Ugh. I can just see her getting a small
portion of Captain Marvel’s powers via photon blast...

I hope she won't get her powers from Carol. Monica's powers shouldn't come from Carol. I don't like the idea of the first female Captain Marvel (who is a Black woman) to get her powers from the 2nd female Captain Marvel (who is a white woman). Monica should stand on her own and acquire her powers on her own and not depend on a "white savior" character to acquire her powers.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Monica Rambeau’s powers make her a formidable superhero. She’s
female and Black, so imagine the push back Photon will get if she
is prominently featured in upcoming Marvel movies!

I don't think that Monica would get much push back from the haters of the current version of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, since a lot of those haters know that Monica was the first female Captain Marvel and because the current version of Monica isn't being used as a symbol of female empowerment. Monica has consistently been written as a straight forward competent hero who is also a very capable and damn good leader. The only problem with Monica is that her power to transform into any form of energy makes it a little hard for her to be beat. However, that could all be fixed by simply taking away her ability to transform into energy and just leave her with the ability to fly and to project and manipulate all forms of energy in various ways.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I don't think that Monica would get much push back from the haters of the current version of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, since a lot of those haters know that Monica was the first female Captain Marvel and because the current version of Monica isn't being used as a symbol of female empowerment. 

——-

Given the number of people losing their shit over a Brie Larson misquote and the number of white twenty and thirty somethings who are insisting that /their/ Captain Marvel is a man (a character who was dead before they were all born), I’d say you are expecting too much rationality from that group. 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I don't think that Monica would get much push back from the haters of the current version of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, since a lot of those haters know that Monica was the first female Captain Marvel and because the current version of Monica isn't being used as a symbol of female empowerment. 

——-

Given the number of people losing their shit over a Brie Larson misquote and the number of white twenty and thirty somethings who are insisting that /their/ Captain Marvel is a man (a character who was dead before they were all born), I’d say you are expecting too much rationality from that group.

============================================

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Actually, those 20 something and 30 something fans Captain Marvel was Monica and Genis-Vell. Hell, even EVS said in one of his Comics Gate rants videos that they should have used Monica instead of Carol.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I liked the basic structure of CAPTAIN MARVEL, with the audience following Carol as she recovers her lost identity, and I thought the initial sequence in which Carol’s memory is being probed was very well done.

But I was really disappointed by the lackluster production design and action sequences. The train battle felt like a lesser version of something I’ve seen multiple times before; Project Pegasus was mostly stairwells and file cabinets, and the Supreme Intelligence was Annette Bening with a smoky eye. It was exciting to see a Black female piloting an experimental aircraft, but I just saw a dogfight in last year’s BLACK PANTHER, so it was tough to get too excited over that sequence. 

I had high hopes for the space battle—and did look pretty—but had all the dramatic tension of watching someone throw a dart through water balloons. Captain Marvel did turn back some bombs in orbit, but this just begged the question: that’s all the Kree traveled across the galaxy with???

It seemed the Art department had other plans, and I really wish Marvel had listened to them:

That's the finale I would have wanted to see!

The film does solidly pass the Bechtel test (which is saying something for an MCU movie), and I really liked the twist with Yon Rogg. Despite my criticisms, I’m glad the film is doing well at the box office (especially considering the inane opposition it faced), and I hope for a more extended effort in the sequel.

Edited by Doug Jones on 14 March 2019 at 12:01am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I think the audience is thinking more kindly of the movie than they otherwise would have. Because its a Marvel movie. Because it has socially progressive themes. Because the lead actress is a sincere (but clumsy) feminist. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

QUOTE:
I think the audience is thinking more kindly of the movie than they otherwise would have.

I think people are judging it too harshly because it followed BLACK PANTHER and INFINITY WAR. It’s on par with the later Marvel origin movies. Even IRON MAN suffers slightly in the third act. 

QUOTE:
Because it has socially progressive themes.

Many Marvel movies have socially progressive themes.

QUOTE:
Because the lead actress is a sincere (but clumsy) feminist.

Nothing clumsy about her.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version