Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I would put it at the middle (or lower) of the pack.

*SPOILER ALERT*

There are a number of things that bothered me about the movie, but
making Skrulls good guys was the most troublesome.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The turnabout on the disposition of the Skrulls read more to me like the MCU Kree/Skrull war had a conclusion, and the Skrulls lost.  So they were in the "just trying to survive" phase.  Not "good guys" as such, just the largely civilian casualties of a horrible war. It also made sense from the chain of lies that Carol had been given that the Skrull turned out to be not what she was told.
As Fury found out, Talos (even in retrospect) was plenty capable of violence to get what he wanted if he felt it necessary.
BTW Ben Mendelsohn was terrific as usual here.

One thing I found particularly pleasing was that Carol was not portrayed as an anti-hero.  Far too much of that going on now.  Characters who are not fundamentally flawed are "poorly written" or "not fleshed out," or worse, "not realistic."  <-quoting some recent YouTube critics/comments.

Horribly sad that some people cannot accept a character who is not broken in some fashion in escapist fantasies
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Joe>>I didn't feel Captain Marvel have any real character progression.<<

This isn't really a requirement in literally any story unless you are using it to drive the subtext.  E.g., The Martian (as Andy Weir himself points out) has no character arc for Watney.  Same guy at the end as he was in the beginning, he doesn't learn anything or grow as a person. The story isn't about that.

Carol's story is that she was constantly told by other people who she was and ultimately she begged to differ.  One of the "choke you up" moments for me is when she agreed that she was "only human" accompanied by a montage of her getting up literally every time she fell down.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
The turnabout on the disposition of the Skrulls read more to me like the MCU Kree/Skrull war had a conclusion, and the Skrulls lost.  So they were in the "just trying to survive" phase.  Not "good guys" as such, just the largely civilian casualties of a horrible war.

That was my take as well. There were enough hints with Talos that he was ashamed about his past involvement with the war. And he wasn't above threatening a child to get what he wanted.

Plus, there's nothing that precludes the Skrulls from returning as villains in future movies. They'd just be factional terrorists, rather than an entire empire trying to conquer Earth. Which I think makes for a better state of things. In the comics, after the Kree-Skrull War, they kept having to come up with reasons why neither empire wouldn't just wipe Earth off the map.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I didn't like the revision to the Skrulls. They're really fun villains, a great deal more than the Kree. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Conrad, I see your point about character progression. But if there isn't going to be any, it had better be a damn good story. 

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw it last night and just loved it. This was a celebratory Marvel movie, full of excitement and awesomeness. The Stan Lee opening had me teared up, but I loved it.

I went into this movie thinking they were laying the ground work for a larger Skrull storyline for future movies. I was convinced that, since it took place so long ago, that there would be a huge revelation about the current MCU. My guess was that Fury was actually going to die in this movie and it would be revealed that he's been a Skrull this whole time. Boy was I wrong! 

Still fun as hell, very high on my list of favorite MCU films.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Not my favorite. I would put it in my bottom third of MCU movies. Maybe I'll like it more when it comes to Disney+

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It was a bland popcorn flick. Not MCU material. Plot was pedestrian. The cat was funny. Waste of the Skrulls. I'm not totally sure what Captain Marvel's powers entail besides emitting 'plasma'. I rank it in the bottom 5 MCU movies. The post credit scenes were some of the best parts.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Overall, I enjoyed it.  I thought it was a fun movie with some great character bits, humor and heart.  That said, it's not INFINITY WAR/BLACK PANTHER/WINTER SOLDIER/GOTG great to me.  Agreed with those that have already said it's middle of the pack with ANT-MAN and DOCTOR STRANGE.  That's not a slight as I really enjoyed those movies as well, but it didn't have the spark of greatness the upper echelon MCU films have.  A solid film I'll watch again in the theatre and end up owning once it hits digital. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Folks, the movie showed us a group of Skrull refugees who came under the care of ‘Mar-Vell’.  Skrulls obvioulsy lost the war against the Kree....but does that mean all Skrulls are ‘good’?  

Are all Kree evil?  No, obviously.

Are all humans good? 

Going forward I think the Skrulls in the MCU will be well rounded characters with facets and nuance.  There is PLENTY of room for bad Skrulls...and SUPER Skrulls in the future. 

And NOTHING that happened in CM prevents the adaptation of the Secret Invasion storyline. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Captain Marvel" opened to $153 million in the US and $455 million worldwide.

So much for a boycott (again.) 

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Yeah, so much for “Get Woke, Go Broke.”  Captain Marvel is actually the 5th highest worldwide opening ever and has already made more than half Wonder Woman made in total. So so much for “and you didn’t see me complaining about Wonder Woman” trope as well.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Box Office Mojo wrote:
The twenty-first entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe delivered the franchise's seventh largest opening weekend of all time while grossing more over its first three days than the combined totals of any previous three-day weekend so far this year.

With an estimated $153 millionCaptain Marvel proved a massive success, bringing in the third highest March opening of all-time

Internationally, Captain Marvel delivered an estimated $302 million, making it the fifth highest international opening weekend of all-time and the sixth largest worldwide debut ever. Leading the way was the film's opening in China, which is estimated at $89.3 million, which ranks as the third largest MCU opening weekend ever in the market behind Avengers: Infinity War and Captain America: Civil War.

Far from underperforming and certainly not a failure for Disney, both statements which floated around with near-absolute certainty this past week across many sites by a small but vocal group of individuals.  

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Entertaining. Not a top tier MCU movie for me, but not sure I was expecting that either.
From my time with Carol Danvers in the comics she was written fairly seriously. I thought that was portrayed nicely.
Not a fan of the Fury eye injury either, was hoping they were going to keep bluffing us much like was done with the bell hop's arm in HOT TUB TIME MACHINE.
Loved the full power Carol  scenes. The expression on that Accuser's face was priceless!
I dunno , I had fun with it and that's all you can really ask for.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Fascinating to see how whipped up the trolls are getting.  On Box Office Mojo's Twitter feed, I followed a thread where a guy was still trying to argue $153M domestic is still an under-performing fail, will fail even worse later in the week and any success it's had is because people are suckers.

I don't recall fretting that hard over the box office of Sex and The City 2 (or anything else I had zero interest in seeing).

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The movie got an A CinemaScore from exit polling.  That all but assures repeat viewing which is part of the reason why it's now predicted to finish its domestic run with around $400 mil.

To put its $153 mil opening in perspective, ANT-MAN grossed $180.2 mil total domestic back in 2015.  ANT-MAN AND THE WASP grossed $216.6 mil total domestic just last year.  DOCTOR STRANGE earned a domestic total of $232.6 mil in 2016.  THOR and its sequel THE DARK WORLD grossed $181 and $206.3 mil domestic in 2011 and 2013 respectively.  None of those films are considered failures.  None are even considered underperformers. Yet some will try to make the argument that despite all evidence to the contrary, CAPTAIN MARVEL is a failure.  Talk about having an agenda!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

After reading a couple of major spoilers about this movie that pissed me off and made me not want to watch this movie, I reluctantly decided to check this movie out. And to my surprise, I liked it despite having a few major problems with this movie. I hated that they made Mar-Vell a woman (God forbid that Carol gets her abilities from a man). I hated that they over powered Carol. I both liked and hated what they did with the Skrulls. I liked that they made the lead Skrull funny and likeable, but I hated that they made the Skrulls the good guys. They should have made most of the Skrulls bad guys, but kept the lead Skrull and his family and followers as being the only good Skrulls.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

God forbid that Carol gets her abilities from a man

——-

What do you mean? Carol never got her powers from a man. In the comics, like the movie, her powers were the result of an exploding Kree device. The change was from her being a bystander to her being caught in the blast from an act of heroism, which seemed like a good change to make.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

What do you mean? Carol never got her powers from a man. In the comics, like the movie, her powers were the result of an exploding Kree device. The change was from her being a bystander to her being caught in the blast from an act of heroism, which seemed like a good change to make.

IIRC, Mar-Vell saved her from that blast, which made her DNA get infused with his Kree DNA and made her half Kree. Hence, she got her powers from a man. Now I liked how she got her powers in the movie, but Mar-Vell should have been a man.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Carol (in the MCU) also got a blood transfusion from Jude Law’s Yon-Rogg.   So she isn’t totally without the ‘help’ of a man in her origin in this instance.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Now I liked how she got her powers in the movie, but Mar-Vell should have been a man.

——

I get wanting to preserve Mar-Vell from the comics, but narratively, Mar-Vell being the person Carol idolized and took her superhero name from sends an unintended message if he were a man. Switching that role to another Kree character like Una loses the “Marvel” connection. I often feel that characters are changed for the sake of change in superhero adaptations, but in this instance I’m fine with it. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Just saw it. It wasn't bad and I was thrilled when the end didn't have a similarly powered Yon Rogg going toe to toe with Carol. ("I have nothing to prove to you" was a nice touch.) Carol's story is a tad complex and I thought they did a reasonably good job on touching on the various elements while being its own thing. Overall, I'd put in in the "high middle" overall compared to the other MCU movies.

Main quibbles (in decreasing order of annoyance):
* The "Avenger" thing at the end was silly at best and annoying at worst (until recently, Carol was a footnote in Avengers history so making her the inspiration for the name in the MCU doesn't appeal)

* Didn't care for them making Mar-Vell a woman. If you want to get her female mentor who is a Kree, fine, but call her something else (I did get a kick of the "Dr. Lawson" Easter Egg, though, so maybe I'm fickle).

* No proper glimpse at the Supreme Intelligence. Hopefully that'll get fixed in the sequel.

* It would've been more interesting to have both the Skrulls and Kree as aggressors/bad guys. (And maybe both Kree and Skrull refugees on the ship.)

* One of the appealing things about Monica Rambeau in the comics was her relationship with her parents. By all means, make her mom a pilot, but there was no need to write out the Dad.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I'm not totally sure what Captain Marvel's powers entail besides emitting 'plasma'.

Emitting the plasma a certain way gives her flight. 
Also, she has super-strength and the ability to survive in space (without a special face mask). Her aging has clearly halted (or slowed significantly).

This was all made fairly evident in the film.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"...the ability to survive in space (without a special face mask)"

Hmm, seems like I saw that face mask appear when she manifested the helmet before her last descent to Earth, but don't recall it when she lead the Skrull's away at the end.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version