Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Perhaps Marvel Studios is banking on the audience finding them as new and interesting as they've found the rest of the Marvel line. I certainly didn't give a thought to the Abnett and Lanning Guardians prior to their film debut. Get Chris Pine in there as Ikaris to helm THE ETERNALS and audiences aren't likely to care how obscure the property was before.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Since we're 3 days away.....

BUMP
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'll be there Thursday night!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'll be there on Saturday with some fellow board members and excellent friends & family.

That said, I might as well add the SPOILER designation to the thread title and note that from here on out you can discuss the film without inviso-text.

You've been warned!!!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My friend reserved our seats for Thursday night.  I am looking forward to seeing the film and how it will lead into AVENGERS: ENDGAME. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm on board Thursday night!  Excited to say the least!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Got my ticket for Sunday night after work. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am looking forward to seeing the film and how it will lead into AVENGERS: ENDGAME. 

That seems to be the reason most people I know are going.  I took a pass from a friend of mine who asked me to go.  I'm sure I will catch it on digital platform at some point but this one just makes me wish they had gotten Green Lantern right.

I really have no idea who Captain Marvel is or the various others that held the title.  I know Carol Danvers purely from Rogue.  

Hope you guys have fun looking forward to reading the reviews.    

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 March 2019 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Saw this last night. I really wanted this to
be great because I'm sick of hearing the
whining about it being a SJW movie. Heaven
forbid we have a female lead in a superhero
movie that isn't Wonder Woman. Get over it.
Having said all that I feel this movie fell
flat. I don't think the writer/directors were
strong enough to make this a unique and
interesting film. It felt like a paint by
numbers sci-fi film. Definitely on the bottom
end of the MCU films.

It had a few good moments. It also introduced
a young Monica. So hopefully, that leads her
into her being a new Avenger as an adult.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

WE have tickets for tomorrow night. I’m looking forward to seeing
Skrulls.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw it, enjoyed it.
Not @ the top of Avengers & Cap, but not @ the bottom of Iron Man 2 by any stretch.
Some good extra bits to the background of the MCU added & some ‘Wow, that’s where they are going with these characters’ 

The rest I will leave until after the weekend.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I liked it for sure but I'd agree it has some dry spots.  In some ways it reminds me of the first Cap and Thor movies that took things much more seriously than what's come later.  Not that I don't like the comedy in the Marvel movies (and not that this doesn't have comedy,) but this definitely puts the laughs in the background more and focuses on the serious stuff.  

I probably liked it more than some of the more recent origin movies - at least it didn't feel traced out of the same template.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It's... okay.

Not a terrible movie. Some fun moments and some nice action scenes. I thought the acting was fine. However, other than fans wanting to check this out in anticipation of AVENGERS: ENDGAME, I figure the average viewer could wait for it to come to home video. It is worth a watch, at least.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 4:21am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I went in with suitably lowered expectations which were richly rewarded. I had a blast. This isn't quite at the level of what Marvel pulled off during their HOMECOMING to INFINITY WAR hot streak over the past couple years, but it stands up well compared to any of the middle films of Phase 1, and comes off as RIFFIFI compared to AQUAMAN, which I enjoyed.

Mar-Vell and Carol Danvers are sentimental favorites. MARVEL SUPER-HEROES 12 &13, and CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 were some of the first back issues I ever purchased. I haven't read a Captain Marvel story since Monica got dirt-roaded out of the Avengers at the start of the Simonson run, so there are about six iterations of the character I'm utterly unfamiliar with.

I got a kick of how many aspects of Carol and Captain Marvel were synthesized into this, both what I recognized and I assume a lot of stuff I didn't.

Regendering Mar-Vell was a particularly amusing raspberry to fans already wroth over the mantle being passed to a woman. Hey, at least her hair was white...

I feel like the low-key tone that's leaving people underwhelmed was a deliberate storytelling decision. A lot of the "SJW agenda" propelling this production (and I mean it in a good way) was motivated in part to attract a larger female audience through characters and storytelling they find appealing -- such as quiet scenes exploring friendship.

Personally I thought TERMS OF ENDEARMENT... IN SPACE! was as effective and interesting a variation on the MCU template as Spider-Man in a John Hughes movie or a Thor film in the style of Flash Gordon. But it was always going to be less exciting. Parts of it evoked KRULL but the Hala scenes could have used a more opera like Taika Waititi brought to RAGNAROK or James Gunn brought to the GotG series. I guess we'll see how effectively this approach will be in reaching its audience.

Also, I think it's a great movie for kids. The action is all flashing lights and there's less innuendo than the average G-rated cartoon.

Edited by David Miller on 08 March 2019 at 4:25am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I really enjoyed it! Reading some of the professional reviews, I think it's unfairly expected to raise the stakes on the previous 20 MCU films, and being an origin story (albeit an inverted one), it just can't do that. But in terms of the other origin movies, I'd rate it just below BLACK PANTHER/IRON MAN/GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and on par with the likes of DR STRANGE and ANT-MAN.

My biggest complaint about the movie is the score. It had the most generic 90s action movie score. Which stood in stark contrast to the 90s soundtrack, which was great. When the Avengers leitmotif finally shows up in the movie, you notice the difference in composition.

Enjoyed the rest of it. I found the early complaints about Brie Larson being wooden in the trailers weird, because she is warm and funny throughout the movie. I could have done with fewer seconds of lingering shots of Carol overcoming obstacles in her memories, but overall, the pacing of the movie was good. Having Carol and Nick Fury in a buddy film was inspired.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Thinking over the other Marvel origin movies, one more plus for CAPTAIN MARVEL: She’s not fighting an evil version of herself. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Saw it last night with the GF.   Her first comment afterwards?  “I loved it. It was cool to see a woman be that powerful.”  That was her reaction without any prompting from me.  So CM is doing something right in that regard.

I also loved it.  It was lighter in emotional weight than I expected.  But then again…after Infinity War almost everything seems lightweight.  Lots of fun and action, but my minor quibble would be the choice of the use of the song ‘Just A Girl’ by No Doubt at the building of the crescendo of the 3rd act.  I thought that was a mistake.  The bubbly, happy nature of the song took away the ‘OOMPH’ of the moment.  Almost everything else in terms of soundtrack was spot on.  

Brie Larson played Carol Danvers quite well.  Cocky and brash like almost all fighter pilots.  But her relationship with Maria Rambeau and little Monica gave her the other side that makes her fully realized.  I’m sold on her as the character.  Looking forward to more of her…..especially in Endgame.  

I loved the bridge building between this and the 1st Avengers movie (and CA:TFA).  Lots of questions answered.  “It’s All Connected.”

My 1st major quibble was Mar-Vel.  I get WHY they did what they did.  But as a big fan of Marvel’s first cosmic Captain I really wanted to see him realized on screen.  

My 2nd major quibble was the teasing of the appearance Supreme Intelligence.  I suspect they are waiting for the sequel to do it…but this installment could have used that extra bit of “WTF?!”

All in all yet another chapter well done.  I’d place this on par with Spider-Man Homecoming, GOTG vol. 2, Ant Man and its sequel, Doctor Strange, CA: TFA….but below The Avengers, CA:CW, Thor Ragnarok, BP, GOTG, CA:TWS and my all time favorite movie A:IW.

Thanos better get his shit together.  The Captain can bring the heat.

Oh yeah, Happy International Women’s Day!

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 08 March 2019 at 9:41am

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

A few things:

1) agree, it was great fun.
2) it had some flat points that may have been deliberate choices gone wrong (car chase was very 90s, score was very 90s)
3) both extra credit scenes delivered!
4) yeah, it was a 90s pop soundtrack, but I had to smile thinking about how three of the standout song choices really owe their debt to the 80s. Wire has writing credit and maybe even royalties for one, Killing Joke *should* get some writing credit and royalties for another, and Just A Girl, heck, that’s a New Wave song in disguise!
5) Even though there was a spoiler warning I am not going to spoil... but my respect to the writers... it slowly dawned on me that they mostly successfully tied together a) the first and last and next Avengers movies with b) the Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel mythos by using ******* ******* and *** ****** **** as the common thread. Awesome. 

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Jude Law has a JB Scott Summers' face.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Jason,

Really?  I always thought Law looked like he fell right out of Barry Windsor-Smith's pencil.

Marc

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Loved it. Pretty much agree with Michael's comments.
First movie to choke me up before the first actual frame of the movie.  It got me several times after too, even though my emotional shields tend to be up during a first viewing.
There's a lot to like about this, and I will be seeing it again.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The Stan tribute certainly brought a tear to my eye and a round of applause from the audience.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Have tickets for Sunday.  The GF really wants to see the one, we've probably seen 3/4 of the Marvel movies in the theater together and this (along with the Captain America movies, which I loved) is a rare instance where she's probably more excited about it than I am.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Enjoyed this one for the most part. It was fun to see a younger Nick Fury (but geeze, did the lost of his eye really need to be reduced to a comedic bit?)

On a 1-10 scale, I would give this one a high 7. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I didn't feel Captain Marvel have any real character progression. She switched loyalties from Kree to Skrull, and that was about it. I think this movie is a lot like the first Thor. It establishes the character, but there's a lot more that needs to be done to flesh out the hero.  

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version