Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I liked it a lot.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Y’know what else was cool about Capt. Marvel?

No love interests....anywhere...at anytime for anyone.

No kissing.

No flirting.

Refreshing.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No kissing, no flirting, no love is a good thing. I got the memo, now I got to get with the program ... thank you. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Saw it with the GF on Sunday. She had ZERO awareness of the character or
supporting cast going in...her favorite Marvel film so far.

I just thought the whole cat thing seemed to come out of nowhere...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If romance doesn't have anything to do with the story (and here it didn't), it shouldn't be in the story.  It may well have been unnecessary in Wonder Woman. Same can be said of action scenes.  Plenty of times a big action set piece sequence got frozen into the design (possibly from the expense) and ended up not helping anything.  The droid factory sequence in Attack of the Clones for instance could have been half the length and gotten the point across.  Or 90% of the action in The Legend of Zorro (the sequel to the '98 Banderas movie).  Lots of nothing happening at great speed.

Having seen it again, I note some positively novel features that are pretty unusual in an origin movie:

They didn't burn the whole first act getting her into the costume.  In retrospect, I do wish during the raid on the Skrull planet that Yon-Rogg had ordered "stealth protocol" or something and the Star Force uniforms all go black.  Five seconds would have established the color-changing ability more than an hour before it was needed for the scene where Monica helps pick her Captain Marvel colors.

They didn't spend a lot of time on pointless scenes of her coping with her new powers. She *wanted* to use them, other people kept trying to keep her from doing so for their own reasons, so when she finally did it was a big cathartic moment.

They spent enough time on the friendship angle that ended up having a several really nice payoffs in the plot, even in the action.  Maria can fly the Skrull civilians out because she's a pilot.  And she can fight the quadjet because she's a *fighter* pilot. The time spent on the relationship also had the effect of pulling the pace down so the fast parts now felt fast (common enough, but a useful approach.  E.g., the original Star Wars does this).  

It's as if Anna Boden and the screenwriting team had watched a lot of superhero movies and made notes about tropes that were either getting tired or didn't work well.

Despite having limited screentime, I find myself lamenting Minn-Erva's demise.  Gemma Chan brought a lot of screen presence. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watched it a second time and enjoyed it more.

QUOTE:
Despite having limited screentime, I find myself lamenting Minn-Erva's demise.  Gemma Chan brought a lot of screen presence.

I found it weird that Jude Law used his natural British accent while she used an American one, which I don’t think I’ve seen her do before. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

CAPTAIN MARVEL's four-day gross, day by day, with particular attention paid to Monday (a work day):

Now, yes, is that Monday less than the $40+ mil that BLACK PANTHER brought in a year ago on its fourth day?  Sure. BLACK PANTHER also had a higher first Monday return than AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR. Haters gonna hate, so they can point to that.  But neither ANT-MAN AND THE WASP nor DOCTOR STRANGE grossed more than $7 mil on the first Monday after they opened.  CM has a $75 and $68 mil jump on both of those films, respectively, and is exceeding their weekly numbers as well (and ANT-MAN AND THE WASP was a summer film, which normally allows for more attendance during the week).  

The narrative of failure gets thinner and thinner, stretched to the point of...agenda?  I dunno.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's the thing: those that proclaimed CAPTAIN MARVEL a failure before it debuted, and certainly before seeing it for themselves, have been either strangely silent over the last several days or going on absurd rants using twists of logic to justify their absurd claims of failure.  But I think after a humbling defeat wherein their prognostication proved horribly false, the vast majority are actually waiting for the second weekend returns to claim "victory" in their petty little misogynistic war.  They'll use the numbers to point to declines that INFINITY WAR and BLACK PANTHER never experienced in their second weekends, metrics no normal human being would ever use.  But they'll do it just the same.  Despite the fact that CAPTAIN MARVEL will earn more domestically by this weekend than ANT-MAN did in five months (its entire domestic run).  CM will earn more in ten days than nearly a month of returns for DOCTOR STRANGE and will easily exceed the $176 mil gross GOTG achieved after two weeks. 

Just wait, though.  It's coming.  Like I said, haters gonna hate.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Now, yes, is that Monday less than the $40+ mil that BLACK PANTHER brought in a year ago on its fourth day?

——-

Also keep in mind that it was a holiday.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Noted!  Something else that will slip by those with an agenda claiming CM a failure.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The family and I saw it on Saturday with no expectations.
Three out of the four of us did not like it at all. The
other gave it a "meh" review.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Saw it last night with my son. He loved it, thought CM was 'pretty awesome". I liked it a lot, probably up there with Dr. Strange and Civil War, might have needed a little more action, but her character was pretty great, I'm hoping for another solo adventure for her.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version