Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios CAPTAIN MARVEL ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I dug it. Not top tier, but a good, fun movie. I really liked how they blended both Carol's and Mar-Vell's backstory. Very well done. Liked the Rambeaus. I REALLY hope we get to see grownup Monica in Endgame. The best two scenes in the movie were the credits scenes. Anyone with indoor cats will appreciate that one. And if the other doesn't get you ready for Endgame, nothing will. 

I totally fell in love with Brie Larson. 
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Saw it tonight - and liked it, but I think it's probably in the bottom third of Marvel's movies.

I really enjoyed Jude Law as Yon-Rogg, but not really a fan of the way they handled both characters played by Annette Bening (the Supreme Intelligence and Mar-Vell).

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I read this thread and once again feel as if I have wasted the last 40 years of my life.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Why exactly?

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"...the ability to survive in space (without a special face mask)"

Hmm, seems like I saw that face mask appear when she manifested the helmet before her last descent to Earth, but don't recall it when she lead the Skrull's away at the end.

That's what I saw, too. No face mask while leading the Skrulls out.  I guess with everything else that manifested, she figured, hey, maybe I can breathe in space (or don't have to breathe). 

So far, I think Thor and Ego are the only other characters in the MCU shown to survive prolonged exposures "naked" in space. 

Oh, and she could handle the Tesseract. Being "born" from it probably helped. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 11 March 2019 at 10:22am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

More and more frequently nowadays Marvel will put out a movie, cartoon or comic that will remind me that I'm not their target audience anymore (I'm a 56-year-olds after all).  I still enjoy the large majority of their movies (can't say the same for the comics since I don't read many of them anymore), and Captain Marvel falls somewhat into the "this is for a different audience".  And I'm fine with that.  I was entertained, but I did see some minor things that I didn't think needed changing but they got changed for the sake of telling the story they wanted to tell.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Adam Hutchinson - 

I would never presume to speak for JB, but I can say for myself that I'm always amazed when comic book "fans" eat up every new comic book movie with a spoon, no matter how far off from the source material it is.

Worse still from my perspective is when those same "fans" defend the changes made by hollywood as "necessary" in order to appeal to a wider audience.

In my mind if you only feed someone a TV dinner, how will they know if they even would prefer a gourmet meal?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Casey... paint with a broad brush much?

Define "eating up every new comic book movie with a spoon."  Is anyone here saying that CAPTAIN MARVEL is the greatest movie ever made?  Some people like it, some people love it, others may not be impressed.

And just because changes are invariably made to most, if not all, big-screen attempts, that surely doesn't mean every single one has been a "TV dinner."  Some have certainly been better than others.

No need for anyone to take a dump on fans who enjoy these films for what they are.  Getting into the "I'm a better fan than those fans over there" mentality is a slippery slope.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have several friends who have never been comic book fans that love the movies.  I don't think that makes them any less valid as fans.  Maybe less invested, maybe not, but stories have been adapted for years  - take the blond-haired, Shakespearean dialogue Thor stories put out by Marvel for example.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Shaun - I do paint with a broad brush and I wish it were based on purely anecdotal evidence, but I have seen too many fans here and on other boards I belong to absolutely gush over the majority of these movies...no matter how bad they are.

I'm not going to tell anyone what they can or can't like, but I'll admit that at first I was surprised. Non comic book fans don't know any better, so why would they care? 

In my fantasy world I would like to see Marvel specifically attempt to pay more than just a little lip service to the source material and make a more faithful adaptation of one of the classic characters...just to see if it's successful.

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Re: “In my fantasy world I would like to see Marvel specifically attempt to pay more than just a little lip service to the source material and make a more faithful adaptation of one of the classic characters...just to see if it's successful.”

Totally get where you are coming from, but the crazy question is... What source material would that be? Those concepts on the printed page have been rebooted and reimagined and retconned and remixed and even premixed with the movies in mind. That’s not even counting Ultimate Nick Fury. :) 

“Kids today” have no idea what it means to pay “just a little lip service” to the source material... We grumpy old men *not only* had to walk a mile for a block of ice, we had to deal with Cap as an Evil Knievel knock-off, a Spider-Man who fought no super villains, a Banner named David, H.E.R.B.I.E. instead of the Human Torch and a psychiatrist Dr. Strange... Captain Marvel departs from/remixes the source material?  At least they didn’t make her into a scientist who discovers a potion that allows her to turn into Earth’s Mightiest Avenger, agent of K.R.E.E., to fight against the evil forces of S.K.R.U.L.L. who are trying to activate a volcano under Manhattan with the Supreme Intelligence Laser or something like that!  BUT... let’s see how sticking more closely to the source material does... Oh, it does almost half a billion dollars opening weekend! :)))

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Not up there with the best of them, but I enjoyed it for the most parts (though how Fury lost his eye was just damned stupid). 

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version