Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: Time again for the weekly NFL picks threads; all are welcome! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If you're returning to these threads, awesome!  If you're new, you can find the first thread of the season here.  I'm sure you'll pick up on things pretty quick, but let's do a quick rundown (any other vets feel free to chime in if I - heaven forfend - forget something):

1. Every week I will post that week's slate of games.  Sometimes I make mistakes; feel free to alert me to them.
  2. Then you go through the games and try to predict the winners.
  3. Then we wait for the games and brag (or lament) how it went.
  4. Then there are the wheels within wheels.  For example, Matt Reed and I have been comparing our picks weekly since at least 2008 (I have lost the previous seasons) and keep a tally for the whole season.   Matt won last year and leads overall 6 seasons to 4.  Last season I lost by twenty games.  I'm going to try to at least be competitive this year!
  5. I also go through everyone's games and see if anyone was the only person to pick a game correctly.  If you do, you get either an I CALLED IT! award, or the more prestigious I TOLD YOU SO, which is awarded at my discretion and there's no real difference.  If there is a game that no one got right, then that team gets a Charlie Brown award.  It should probably be a Lucy Van Pelt award but it's a Frankenstein/Frankenstein's monster situation.
  6. If anyone ever gets every game for that week right (which has never happened), we're going to have to come up with something special for that.
  7. Anyone, feel free to jump in!  All are welcome.  Maybe you can find a fake "opponent" to take on head-to-head.
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh, and while I usually get the slate up by Monday night, if you need to post and I haven't started a thread (usually around the holidays), you can post your picks in the previous week's thread and we'll get you squared up.  I try to get the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day weeks posted plenty early.

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks for doing this (again). 

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2018 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for participating!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login