Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Who should have guest starrred on a show/ Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My friend Robbie Perry has a topic about best TV guest star who should have become a regular, and I started thinking tangentially; who could have been a guest star on a TV show and really enhanced it?

Be certain that I mean a GUEST STAR, not a regular. I mean a one or two time appearance, not a reoccurring character. Also, I don't want to see a character that violates the nature of the show - for example, on Castle, a reality based no-nonsense police show, I wouldn't want Jeannie or Samantha Stevens; the existence of magic would destroy the concept of Castle and Beckett's investigations and showing a factual reason for every murder.

(Yes, I know a great story COULD make sense of such crossovers; but please omit them.)

However, don't feel restrained by different companies, productions, etc. I have one for my third example below.

What would I have liked? Well, there are the obvious... I'd have loved a crossover between the Addams Family and the Munsters.

And since I mentioned it, a teaming of Samantha and Jeannie could have been really fun.

When I was at that age, on both the Batman TV show and Filmation's' Batman cartoon, I really wanted Superman to appear... but that teaming had to wait for Super Friends.

That's a bare few that I have. Try to keep it to five or six if you would, and maybe an explanation if it doesn't seem patently obvious.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Robert Culp, STAR TREK TOS.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eric, are you looking for guest stars "in character" or actors in general...or either?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nicholas Hammond's Spider-Man in an episode of THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Along the same lines as Robbie's suggestion, having Banner be treated by Peter Hooten's Doctor Strange for an episode would have been interesting. Dormammu or some such entity could send a Mindless One to Earth and the Hulk could repel it's attack, while at the end Strange tells Banner that while his problem is spiritual in nature, it is not supernatural and therefore out of his hands.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was a bizarre crossover/romance that took place between Ally McBeal and Bobby Donnell from THE PRACTICE. The two shows were practically different genres and it was a strange mixture to see everyone onscreen together. However, Bobby Donnell eventually left his firm when it was sabotaged and brought under by James Spader's Alan Shore who went on to become a lead in BOSTON LEGAL, which is not as big a stretch from ALLY MCBEAL...

All of which means that Calista Flockhart's Ally could conceivably have shown up in that world, as could any of the other characters from her show. Peter MacNicol played Denny Crane's therapist in an episode and mentioned that his brother was a lawyer, perhaps hinting at a connection already.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm more looking for characters that could have appeared on some other show (e.g., Superman on Batman more than George Reeves), but either way works. Although if you're going to pick an actor, maybe define the guest role you envision the character in.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So many possibilities with the tv westerns of the time.

Cain of KUNG FU wanders into GUNSMOKE'S Dodge city.

Earlier in GUNSMOKE'S run we could have Matt Dillon run into Paladin on HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL.

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I once had a notion that Andy Sipowicz should show up in one of Denis Leary's AA meetings on RESCUE ME. . .

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As long as it's still on the air, I have hopes that Chris Pratt or Aziz Ansari will turn up on 'The Good Place.'  I was so certain that one of them was going to be the Judge or even Sean.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kirk Moberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It would have been neat to see Robert Vaughn and David McCallum in Star Trek TOS...just because Shatner and Nimoy appeared for the first time together on U.N.C.L.E.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I would have loved to see Bob Newhart as Bob Hartley on Frasier. 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Dale Cooper on the X-Files.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"I once had a notion that Andy Sipowicz should show up in one of Denis Leary's AA meetings on RESCUE ME. . ."

--

That's..... actually pretty brilliant. It was established on RESCUE ME that the FDNY do not care much for the NYPD, so that would have made for an interesting dynamic  between Tommy and Andy. 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Doctor Who on one of the Star Trek shows is probably the obvious one. Not sure if that would violate the nature of the shows though. (Though the Doctor has been known to travel to other dimensions, and that was how the comic version of the cross over handled it.)

But failing that, Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) on Supernatural. The hi-jinks and one liners that would ensue would really be something to behold.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Peter MacNicol played Denny Crane's therapist in an episode and mentioned that his brother was a lawyer, perhaps hinting at a connection already.
----------------------------------------------------

Funny you should put it that way Brian. I read a while back that that was exactly the reason the writers put in that line. It was their tip of the hat to that possibility.

The early crossover/romance that took place between Ally McBeal and Bobby Donnell from THE PRACTICE I only discovered many years after the fact. I'd seen the Ally McBeal episode when it first aired in the UK, and always wondered why some of the plot didn't seem to be followed up on. It was only about 2 or 3 years ago that I finally saw The Practice side of it and finally everything made sense.

I suppose that was the disadvantage of watching Ally McBeal in the UK pre-internet. You would never have know that there even was another half to the story, as The Practice certainly didn't receive the same amount of attention in the UK as Ally McBeal did..

Edited by Jason Scott on 29 August 2018 at 9:53pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Paladin is hired to bodyguard someone from a masked man, only to mistake the Lone Ranger for that masked man. The person who hired him? None other than Ben Cartwright.

Perry Mason is hired by someone accused of murder. During the trial, he grills the officer who arrested his client: Some guy named Sgt. Joe Friday.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 29 August 2018 at 11:27pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

BOSTON LEGAL was awash in muttered asides and in-jokes. Reading an article about parasites bred in modern fish farms killing the fish in the surrounding waters, Alan Shore notes, "They're called 'cling-ons.'" 

Denny Crane growls, "Did you say, 'Klingons?'"

At another point, while wading through a crowd of reporters, Denny tosses off the sound bite, "I have my own spaceship. I'm multi-talented."

The fourth-wall breaks and witty quips are a lot of fun on that show. I'm not surprised to learn there was some intent behind that mention of the therapist's brother. The writers seem too savvy for it to have just been a simple plot conceit or incidental line.

Vincent Price guest-starred on an episode of Columbo in a small role. It would have been nice to have seen him as the murderer. In fact, speculation on who would have made a good opponent for Columbo is a sub-genre of its own. Patrick MacNee was another actor who appeared off to the side, yet could have been compelling as the killer. MacNee made an excellent Satanic villain on the original Battlestar: Galactica. Diana Rigg would have been a charming and canny foe as well.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

BOSTON LEGAL was awash in muttered asides and in-jokes. Reading an article about parasites bred in modern fish farms killing the fish in the surrounding waters, Alan Shore notes, "They're called 'cling-ons.'" 

Denny Crane growls, "Did you say, 'Klingons?'"

At another point, while wading through a crowd of reporters, Denny tosses off the sound bite, "I have my own spaceship. I'm multi-talented."
+++++++

There was also a scene where Denny’s phone made the chirp-chirp-chirp TOS communicator sound when he answered it, as I recall.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Lecy Goranson on "Scrubs."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version