Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Guest Characters You Wish Had Become Permanent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What characters, in any TV show, would you have liked to have become regulars?

In T.J. HOOKER, there was a character called Detective Sergeant Wayne Conrad (James O'Sullivan). A detective with two degrees, and the ambition to make lieutenant, he clashed with Hooker in two episodes. He disapproved of Hooker due to Hooker having been a detective who chose to go back into uniform. Their scenes were very good.

Although O'Sullivan appeared in the show again (twice), he was playing different characters. Det. Sgt. Conrad only appeared twice.

I think Conrad could have been a good regular/semi-regular character. I was disappointed he didn't return.

I can't think of any others right now.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Emily Banks as Tonia Barrows in the TOS STAR TREK episode "Shore Leave".

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Six Million Dollar Man - Stefanie Powers (Shalon.) Why? Because Stefanie Powers, that's why.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow/Arrow - Matt Ryan (Constantine). I heard a rumor he's going to be at least a semi-regular on DCLoT this season, and I hope so. I don't know how much Constantine I can take (much the same as Deadpool), but his appearances have been great so far.

Castle - Dana Delany (Jordan Shaw) was an FBI agent guest star, and I thought she was great. ABC missed a good bit, though; at the same time, Delany had her own show on ABC where she played a coroner on a police investigative-type show. Having her character cross over onto Castle would have been just perfect... but I enjoyed her appearance in any character.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Paula Marshall appeared on a handful of VERONICA MARS episodes as a school guidance counselor who enjoyed a brief romance with Veronica's father. She never had a storyline per se, at least not one that would carry her over the course of a season, and when the show decided to focus on other stories that more directly involved Veronica and her classmates, Marshall's character got dumped by Keith and did not return. 

While she was a threat to the show's all-important Daddy-Daughter Time, and Wallace's role as Office Assistant allowed him to get whatever inside info Veronica might need about the inner workings of the school, I still wish there had been room for her to stay, perhaps as a reluctant adversary who believes she's acting in Veronica's best interests by trying to keep her out of her father's line of work or someone hired by the corporate baddies on the program specifically because of what she knows about the Mars family. "When Guidance Counselors Attack!" or something...

It was just a shame to see Paula Marshall on another Rob Thomas show after Cupid and have so little to do. 

On M*A*S*H there was an episode in which Edward Herrmann played Dr. Stephen Newsome, a frontline surgeon who had already put in considerable time and been reassigned behind the lines. He is called up to the front again and for the space of one episode, the Hawkeye/B.J. duo became a trio, with Newsome easily keeping pace in the O.R. and in conversations around the still. His light, educated manner played nicely off the series' stars and he could definitely hold the screen with them.

This entire point of the episode unfortunately is that he dealt with the horrors he'd seen and was now seeing again so well that no one anticipates his nervous breakdown. He walks out of surgery and is later found in the Swamp babbling more or less incoherently about what's expected of him and what he's actually capable of. He's led away while B.J. observes that Newsome was as strong as any of them. Hawkeye replies, "That's what scares me," nicely presaging his own collapse in the finale. 

These days, his story would likely have played out over the course of several episodes. While I appreciate the one he was in very much, I'd like to have seen more of him just the same.

Edited by Brian Hague on 27 August 2018 at 1:04pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Carey Mulligan as Sally Sparrow on DOCTOR WHO. Apparently she was offered a full-time role, but she turned it down. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Jack Black on COMMUNITY......Ha, just kiddin'!

This is tough, trying to pick out single episodes.

I've been watching THE BOB NEWHART SHOW recently and Fred Willard appeared as Ellen's ex. He was great as usual, wouldn't have minded seeing him in that recurring role.

Edited by Doug Centers on 27 August 2018 at 3:59pm

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John Constantine is indeed a regular cast member for the upcoming season of Legends of Tomorrow, Eric.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Back in the day I really wanted Rachael Leigh Cook's Devon character to join the regular cast on Dawson's Creek for um...reasons.

Similarly Marianna Hill's Lt. Helen Noel from Dagger of the Mind would have been a welcome addition to the original Star Trek TOS cast.

More recently I thought Bradley James's Lowell Tracey on i-zombie had much better chemistry with the lead than any of the other match ups Rose McIver's Liz has had.

Also really would have liked Eliza Dushku's Faith to have joined the Angel cast. I thought she fit in much better on that show than she ever did on Buffy.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wasn't there talk of a Faith and Spike spin-off with the two of them tooling about the country on a motorcycle? Had that gone and the proposed "Ripper" show taken off, "Buffy" could have been a near Star Trek-level franchise and revenue stream. 

Had the level of intelligence in writing between the two shows not been so disparate, Willow and Tara showing up on "Charmed" could have been fun. They could have gone up against Amy, the rat girl, or maybe her mother, the cheerleading trophy.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Joe Walsh on the Drew Carey Show. 

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

William Russ as Roger Lococco on Wiseguy. I still think about the episodes he appeared in, they were great! I think he may have made an episode appearance along the way (?) but they never used the character in another story arc. Every time I see William Russ in another role I think of what could have been. 

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Emily Procter's Ainsley Hayes and Mark Feurstein's Cliff Calley on THE WEST WING. (Proof Sorkin *can* write conservatives well, IMO).

Kevin Riley on the original STAR TREK; Ro Laren and Sonia Gomez on TNG.

Edited by Tony Tower on 30 August 2018 at 1:56pm

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

William Russ as Roger Lococco on Wiseguy. I still think about the episodes he appeared in, they were great! I think he may have made an episode appearance along the way (?) but they never used the character in another story arc. Every time I see William Russ in another role I think of what could have been. 

Jonathan, Roger returned in the third season "Lynchboro" arc after Ken Wahl injured himself a second time (following the injury in Season Two that put Anthony Dennison's John Raglin into the Jerry Lewis-RonSilver arc).

Great character, great actor. Back in the day, I imagined Russ as great casting for Vic Sage if they made a tv series based on the Denny O'Neil-Denys Cowan QUESTION run.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Michael has it with Sally Sparrow.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Wasn't there talk of a Faith and Spike spin-off with the two of them tooling about the country on a motorcycle? Had that gone and the proposed "Ripper" show taken off, "Buffy" could have been a near Star Trek-level franchise and revenue stream.
----------------------------------------------------------

Yeah...What might have been...(Sigh!)

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The IT support guy from The (British) Office with his acerbic put downs of Gareth.

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The Matt Smith Doctor Who episode where they are stuck in the
hotel, was hoping that the nurse would become a new companion.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version