Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: OT: The Fickle Public... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I used to work in offices doing all sorts of clerical roles. I am glad that is no longer a part of my life.

In another topic, Bill Mimbu said this:

Bill Mimbu wrote:
"You work at [company name]? Then, you must know...
"Doesn't matter which city I'm in, I still get asked this.

It reminded me - and I post this topic in a self-deprecating way - of the questions the general public ask.

Some of the ones I was asked, whilst working in the public sector, irked me.

Bill Mimbu's one is a good one. I think some assume we're all part of a collective (like bees). We absolutely must know John Smith in an office 400 miles away. We absolutely should know Jane Smith in sales even though here office is 110 miles away.

Here's some I hate - and the reasons why.

"Can I speak to the manager? NOW!"

Which manager?!!

My first public sector post was in an office where we had the office manager, his deputy, a customer service manager and three assistant team managers. 

If I don't know what the query pertains to, who do I best speak to? Why get the office manager down when the assistant team manager, handling a particular business area, might be best suited?

"Can I speak to the main manager, his name is on the letter?" 

Yes, his name is on the letter. As a matter of routine. But he KNOWS NOTHING about you or your query. If I drag him out of his office, he'll be clueless. I was far better suited to handling the person's query, but, no, fickle Joe Public demands the manager. 

I had a letter once about my overdraft. Bank manager's name was on it, but I know he hadn't personally sent it out. When I went in to query something, I asked for the most relevant person.

"You're a civil servant so you must know what other departments are doing." 

Oh do jog on, please!

How many government departments are there? And sub-agencies?

Someone came into my office once with a query best suited for the DVLA. All I got from him was, "But you're civil service, right?" I'd have to be some sort of super-genius to know EVERYTHING about EVERY department. 

But SO MANY would come in with all sorts of queries. That'd be like me ringing the AA and saying, "My RAC breakdown driver hasn't come. You're in the breakdown recovery business, too, so where is he?"

I think some members of the public assume you are an expert in EVERY aspect of your business. They also assumed you knew EVERYTHING about their query. 

"What, you haven't spoken to or know John Smith who told me this in another office?" 

Erm, no, mate. Until we all become the Borg, that isn't going to happen. I would love to adopt a Dr. Strange pose and foresee all possible realities and scenarios. Not gonna happen, though.

People, eh?

This topic is meant in a fun way even though it sounds grumpy (I'm a Brit, we are grumpy). Have fun if you contribute!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

`Do you do a Vegan alternative of your `Best Ever
Burger?`

No, it`s made to a specific recipe using bone marrow!

`Do you do a non-chocolate alternative to your Easter
Eggs for those of us who don`t like chocolate?`

Yes, a hen`s egg.

`Can you do a version of your ready made sandwiches
that doesn`t have butter or margarine, as i don`t like
either?`

No, the butter and margarine stops the salad on those
sandwiches turning the bread soggy, plus if your
requirements are SO exacting, why not buy a loaf and
make your own?

`Do you do a gluten free version?`

AAAAAARRGHHHHHH!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I recently was that person to Amazon - the person I was speaking to was clearly lying & just telling me what they thought I wanted to hear. So I asked to speak to a manager.

I also did the same to a call from ‘British Gas’ that was actually a scam. They were insisting it wasn’t & had rang our company two to three times per day for three days. I was then given the managers name but put through to someone completely different. When I asked for a name that I could ask for when I ring the main British Gas phone number, the line went dead. They haven’t rang back since. Funny that eh?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

James, I feel it's okay to do that with Amazon because chances are the call centre person has an immediate manager who probably can handle your query when the call centre person has failed.

But in banks/government offices/etc., asking for a manager is counter-productive. My bank has various managers (the bank manager, no doubt a deputy, an account manager, etc). 

I think if entering a bank or government office - to name two - it's best to be specific about the complaint so that it can be passed to the relevant person.

Same with, say, a supermarket. Sure, the store manager may be able to help you if you have a complaint about the bakery or fishmonger section, but it may be better to speak to the person managing the bakery/fishmonger so as to get your complaint resolved quickly.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In addition (speaking as a customer service pro)... call takers LOVE those demands to talk to a manager, because A) they've taken the call, B) they've put in at least a little time on it, and C) THEY DO NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANGRY CALLER ANYMORE.

Want to get some action? "I am not happy with your response, so I am going to stay on this call with you until we get this addressed." IF the call taker can answer it, they will.

Most support people are not allowed to hang up on callers - UNLESS they become threatening or start using profanity. Don't lose your cool TOO hard, and never curse at them; because then they have justification to hang up on you.

And as much as you hate to be put on hold - and we all hate it - sometimes you have a person who really wants to help you and is doing their best - but just doesn't have the answer, and has to ask someone else about it. However, you should expect an update every couple of minutes or so.

You have very real expectations, and very real concerns - but unless it's life-threatening, there's only so much priority a call taker can give you. Notwithstanding the jerks (their name is Legion),  usually you're dealing with someone who wants to help you - so try to be a little understanding as well.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Call centre`s where the person on the other end has a
script to sort out your problem, but can`t/won`t deviate
from it to solve your problem! `Yes i DID unplug it from
the wall before i resorted to the living hell of calling
customer service`...`Can you just do it again?`
AAAAARGH!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Working in a retail plants & produce shop I actually got asked (we're talking Canada here) if the bananas were local. :^O
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What, they don't grow bananas in Canada, Rebecca? ;-)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Being a manager for a couple of decades now, hearing "Who's your manger?" or "What's your corporate number?" is a weekly occurrence.

Working with the public can be interesting and demanding, having thick skin
is a must. I make it my duty to stay calm while someone is going berserk .
I will actually lower my voice as there's is getting higher, sometimes the
person calms down others get crazier. Either way I'm smiling inside.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yesterday i was told of a woman who didn`t get a refund
on an item, punching two female assistants, the store
manager and his deputy, she had to be restrained by a
security guard from a nearby store.The female assistant
had a nasty cut across her forehead from a chunky ring
the assailant was wearing.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

De-evolution in progress!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Most taxi passengers are fine. Sure, you get some who don't know where they want to go or need a "punching bang" for the day; most, though, want to just get from A to B. And 95% of them are excellent conversationalists.

I mean, I learnt a lot about Liverpool to U.S. cruise ships - and the bootleg music they were bringing back here. Great taxi conversation!

But I do not miss working in offices. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version