Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Charging for an Autograph? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think this is an appropriate thread to ask - what's everyones take on getting original art personalized? On the one hand, I have a page I'd like to get personalized - but on the other hand, I'm very much aware that I'm just a caretaker of that particular page (no plans on ever selling it, but I won't be around forever). 

Yea or nay on personalized original art?
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If it`s original art, i see no reason to get it
personalised, as it`s already unique, as you say, you`re
just the caretaker!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

At the last Calgary Expo, Neal Adams was charging $50 for his signature.  Way, way too much (for me, anyway).

At least he was upfront about it (and a charge for getting his picture taken) and didn't spring it on people when they asked for a signing.

At the same convention, Amanda Conner was charging $5 for signing something that she was not selling (She didn't charge for signing prints that she was selling).  I had her sign my copy of "The Art of Amanda Conner" which I had brought with me, and she wrote a fairly lengthy text along with personalizing it to me.  Well worth the money.  Again, she was upfront with the charge.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have no comics autographed, but I wish I did for the connection. I haven't been to too many cons where I have had that opportunity.

Of autographed items I do have, there is a Deanna Troi action figure signed by Marina Sertis. This was nearly 20 years ago, and she signed all autographs for free.  I adored her and just how much life she brought to her con appearance.  That figure isn't going anywhere.

I do have several books autographed.  Again, all were free. My favorite author autograph has to be David Sedaris.  After his engagements, he signs autographs for everyone who wants one.  I have three signed books.  He takes a few minutes with each person in line and chats and then personalizes each autograph like no other. He adds funny points from the conversation, or draws a picture as it relates.  But it really becomes a piece that I can never part with because it is so much more than just a signature.  Its a fantastic connection.

Would I pay for an autograph?  Maybe.  I admit, I just got a 1st edition of Good Omens for my birthday.  I have gone through multiple copies and even had a 1st previously that was enjoyed thoroughly by a dog.  If I had to pay for Gaiman, I would. 

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have paid for many, and I have gotten may for free.
Either way, I wanted to memorialize the meeting, and I
enjoy collecting autographs as much as I enjoy
collecting comics.

My John Byrne autographs especially memorialize a few
meetings with my favorite cartoonist, but I enjoy
having my books signed and marked as well, especially
since I have a large collection of signed HCs and TPBs
(many more than comics) that I enjoy browsing for the
memories of the meetings as much as for the content of
the books, especially when I recall the lunches or
dinners or visits to their homes, or just hanging out
having a cigar, with those who have become friends.

P. S. I guess the most I have paid for those whom I
have met are Stan Lee and Frank Miller.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't seek autographs any more and I think the last one was from Stan Lee a few years ago. I prefer getting commissions at conventions, but I can only afford a few each time. If the guest has some thing to sell and I am interested in it, I'll purchase it and have it signed. It is a bonus when the item proceeds go to or artist is helping, a charity or non-profit.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

At the last Calgary Expo, Neal Adams was charging $50 for his signature.  Way, way too much (for me, anyway).

Me as well. This is his new standard at every show, which I find... well, I'll choose a polite word & say "disappointing."

I have a "History of the DC Universe" book I've been taking to cons for 25 years; it's got signatures in it from the Golden Age to the present time. I'd been saving a spot between Denny O'Neil & Dick Giordano for Neal to sign, but I'm simply not going to pay $50 for someone's autograph alone (I even carry my own pen!). 

Edited to add: Yes, I probably should've found Neal early on before he started charging.

Edited by Kevin Sharp on 14 August 2018 at 4:19pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When it does mean something to you, you'd really only want one or two I'd think. I can't imagine having every single item by someone signed by them but I guess that might've become the norm. Yikes.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

At the last mainstream convention I attended I bought a "sketchbook" from Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez for $5 and he even signed it! MUCH more exciting than a $60 picture from some "celebrity".

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Neal Adams personalized his autograph to me with "To Lars," and that gesture put me over the moon. Its a small thing, but somehow makes that signature more precious to me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've been reminded on occasion of the money I am "leaving on the table" by not charging for autographs. But it's been my policy from the beginning not to do so, and I am disinclined to change that policy now.

After all, these fans have already spent a fair piece of change in support of my career, buying the books over the years.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The first time I saw Neal Adams at a show a few years back, he would sign for free and let you take a picture with him if one bought a print or original art from him. The next show I saw him at a couple of years later, he was charging for his autograph,  and for people to take his picture. 

Glad I got my pic and autograph from him before that practice began.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version