Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Any Characters For Whom You Feel a Genuine Dislike? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

First off, to keep this topic from becoming too negative, let's not go too far in trashing what may be someone else's favorite character. And let's bear in mind things that might have been done over the years to lessen the antipathy we've felt towards these fictional beings.

In another thread, a poster said how much he hated such-and-such a character and that she was easily his least favorite character in Marvel Comics. JB has discussed in the past why he does not love the Legion. We all have our favorites (and again, to keep things light, please feel free to discuss those here as well, and maybe how they contrast with your least favorites), but there are also those for whom we have no real affection whatsoever, either because of their personality, the role they've played in a given storyline, or some creative decision made in their essential creation. We are all defined by our dislikes as well as our likes.

I'm not looking for hateful screeds against the work done by various creators, personal attacks, nor am I looking for a ton of "I never read so-and-so, so I guess I never liked them" responses. I don't think I've ever read a story with Night Thrasher in it, but I wouldn't say I actively dislike him either.

Lobo, on the other hand, I have seen multiple times in multiple issues, and I seriously do not like the character. His brawling, boozing, bullying demeanor doesn't resonate with me, his power level is at full fanwank-levels, and his tender-hearted affinity for space dolphins reads as a false attempt to give this fan-character-come-to-life some element of depth he clearly does not deserve.

What would I do differently with the character? I must admit I'm not sure. Maybe give him a biker gang or a family he's left behind in the past and to whom he now has to reconcile himself. Give him some sense of responsibility. I'd also take him out of Superman's power level or use him to show why it's a bad idea for that kind of power to fall into the wrong hands. I get the feeling that whatever I'd do, however, it wouldn't set well with his "Haw! Haw! You mad, bro?" personality.

There are others I cross the comic-book aisle to avoid whenever I can; Red Hulk, Gambit, and others, but who are yours? Is there anyone who really just gets your hackles up?

Again, let's try to keep this upbeat and offer suggestions which might help our wayward brothers and sisters in the four-color world. What could that heroine over in the other thread do to redeem herself in the eyes of the guy who said he didn't like her? Red Hulk already did something which improved his role in comics considerably from my perspective. He went away. I like the character a whole lot more in the rear view mirror. :-)

(Why do I have this sudden feeling that Matter-Eater Lad and Bouncing Boy are really going to take it on the chin in this thread...? I'm also very worried about my old friend Adam Strange for some reason.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just so you know Brian, Red Hulk is still around and was in an Avengers comic about six months ago.

But I do agree he, and all the other Hulks that spawned a few years ago were a disaster for me. So yes, Red Hulk, A-Bomb and all that ilk are characters that I wish did not exist.

I wish Doctor Doom's Iron Man did not exist - this showed an utter mis-understanding about that character by that writer (along with calling Ms Marvel a bitch, but this is not the thread for that).

There are also radical interpretations of characters that end up being the character in name only - those I also wish would go away. Am I allowed to include those in this list because if I am, then Cyclops from Grant Morrison onwards would be first in the queue followed closely by Charles Xavier by Ed Bruebaker onwards. 

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I always felt that Gambit was a character created to attract female readers. If that's true or not I don't know, but that's how it felt. And I have never cared about him. A similar character is Johnny Blaze. He went from being a nice guy in the original Ghost Rider run to an unshaved guy with a cigarette, sunglasses, ponytail and a big gun.
And to some degree Longshot, which all female characters seemed fell in love with. But I have probably read too few issues which includes Longshot to be able to make up a proper opinion.

Scrambler is another character that I'm not entirely comfortable with. His powers are the ability to mess with someone's superpower, and if I remember correctly, requires physical contact skin to skin. It makes him pretty vulnerable. As long as there is not direct contact he is not much of a threat. With someone like Cyclops, only the lower part of his face is naked. Scrambler must therefore run over to him and touch Cyclops' mouth with his hands.
But he did take away a guy's invulnerability. If the invulnerable guy had to activate his abilities somehow, then I get it. But if it was part of who he was it just doesn't feel right. Should Scrambler touch Angel, his wings wouldn't fall off or retract into his body. Having wings is not something he does, it is who he is. There is a difference between having a certain abilities that a character can use when he or she feels it is required, to having a specific appearance or something similar. Wolverine and Beast once ended up in a prison for supervillains and got they powers permanently removed. As a result, Beast turned human while he was in prison and became blue again once he escaped. But being blue and furry, and having pointed ears and fangs is not a power. Wolverine's healing factor is, but I'm not so sure about his superior sense of smell. If he has an extra amount of cells detecting scent and huge olfactory lobes, it's not really a power either. Obviously the result of a mutation, but I have hard to see how it is a power in the same sense as the ability to fly or control flames.
And Callisto. If she wasn't a mutant, I wouldn't care. But she is a mutant. And Storm was able to beat her without her powers. I assumed the concept of mutants was that they were different from the rest of humanity. Maybe she is able to heal a little faster than humans in general, but otherwise she is like everybody else.

I was so young when I read Legion of Superheroes that silly superpowers never bothered me. And the whole thing has a very different setting from for instance Avangers, X-Men or Teen Titans. If any stories with Matter-Eater Lad was published, it was in issues I didn't buy. The only story I can remember him from was the one when he went insane after eating the machine that created the cosmic villain Omega. The same with Bouncing Boy. I remember I smiled when I saw a drawing of him bouncing around, and the only issue I read was when he got his powers back after having lost them. His powers are not really bad at all, the problem is that he looks a bit strange when he use them. If someone ties him up, he can turn into a ball and tear the ropes. He doesn't get hurt from jumping or falling from large heights. And if I understand it correctly, bullets will bounce back because of his elastic skin. Should be feel the need to each a roof, he can bounce from wall to wall and reach to top in no time. When he needs to run, and can turn normal again till the moment when his powers are required once more. Which comic book reading kids wouldn't enjoy reading about such a character?
(What children enjoy not all adults like. Some writers forget that they were children themselves at some point, and create stories that are way more mature than the once they grew up with themselves.)
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanos. He's just a sadder, meaner, Diet Darkseid.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I never got into the Legion. I don't dislike them, I just never got a charge out of reading their stories.

Characters pushed out to take advantage of another, older character's popularity don't do much for me either. Daken, X-23, Honey Badger, Old Man Logan... nah. Spider-Gwen, Ben Reilly, Spider-Man 2099... also not drawing my attention. More is not always better.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hydro-Man is one. Just don't get his appeal, not that he probably has set the world alight in any way.

Gambit for me, too. There's a Wolverine reprint title here in the UK (published since 1996!). At one point, Gambit was the back-up strip so I did read it. But nothing about him appealed to me in any way, shape or form.

And then there's USAgent, who just seems like a bad Judge Dredd clone.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Similarities between Longshot and Gambit aren't coincidental - at one point Gambit was designed to be who Longshot became after the team went through the Siege Perilous. That changed, of course, but that was the original idea.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John, I had no idea about that part of Gambit's history. Not being a Longshot fan either, that kind of makes sense that the two are similar. 

Robbie & Andrew, I definitely agree that substitute versions of mainstay characters carry with them a certain unpleasant aspect from the get-go. Most are so clearly not what they're pretending to be that it's hard to root for them. The one exception I'd have to that is Beta Ray Bill if only because he did not replace Thor for a significant period of time and he was presented as a likeable, worthy custodian of Mjolnir in his first appearance. All of the others you've mentioned here leave me rather cold. 

Actually, I will admit to having a soft spot for Spider-Man 2099 at the start. I really enjoyed Rick Leonardi's art and his design for the character. And I liked that his sense of humor was markedly different from Peter Parker's. Now that he's become just another face in a crowd of Spideys, the character has far less appeal for me. 

Richard, "Diet Darkseid" may be my favorite character nickname ever. Thanks for that one.

Olav, I want to thank you for that eloquent, imaginative defense of Bouncing Boy and his powers. I love the fact that you say he brings a smile. I think that's very much what the character is supposed to do. 

I have never heard of Scrambler. Or Honey Badger for that matter. Clearly, they're after my time. Do these characters have their own books or are they just the latest in the ongoing avalanche of X-Men? 

Your point and James' that characters like Johnny Blaze and Cyclops can go from being favorites to least favorites is well made. Change for its own sake is rarely change for the better, and in the case of Cyclops, it's almost as if character assassination became standard procedure in writing the X-Men. As for Professor X, the "sneaky bastard in a wheelchair" trope is so ingrained in the comics medium now that I expect any day to read that Oracle killed Huntress's parents, dropped Aquarius on Larry Lance, and hid all of Lady Blackhawk's pants where she can never find them again.

I did not know that the Red Hulk was back either. Rats. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 13 August 2018 at 9:01am

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I never liked Gambit either.  He just seemed to me that he was assembled via Mad-Lib. 

He has a/an (accent) accent and he throws (plural noun) charged with (color) energy. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Noah, I like that formula for creating characters. I wonder if a thread could be made with similar Mad Libs for different heroes. 

If we put different descriptors into those blank spaces, would the results be viable as characters on their own? "He has a (Brooklyn) accent and he throws (rolled-up newspapers) charged with (black and white and red all over) energy." Could the attorneys track that back to having once been Gambit? I wonder...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There got to be so many dialects in X-Men comics it was semi-laughable. Colossus and Nightcrawler always kept dropping in Russian and German words, don't remember Storm having a lot to say in French or an African language though, and then Banshee... och aye! Throw in Sunfire and Mariko Yoshida sometimes... then here come Rogue, Cannonball and Gambit! Southern drawls and Cajun patois. Too much. Wolfsbane again with the och aye... I guess it's a miracle it didn't end up a lot more difficult to read, but it got a bit much at times... not the characters so much as the attempts at accents and foreign terms if not phrases.

The other thing would be all the alternate future people... Cable, Bishop, X-Man Nate Grey, Phoenix Rachel, all from various Summers relationships. I tried to get into Rachel Summers but she was Raine/Wolfsbane without the accent to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Gambit was the first time I didn't like a new X-Man. All the ones that came after him I hated as well...so I took the hint and stopped collecting this title.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version