Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Good Series, Bad Pilot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In your opinion, of course!

Weren't there 2 SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN pilots? I didn't enjoy any of them, but I did enjoy the series. If I'd seen those pilots first, I might not have become a fan.

Whilst not a TV pilot, BLUE THUNDER began with a 1983 theatrical movie. Which I wasn't a big fan of, but although the series has dated (what doesn't?), I did enjoy it whilst it lasted.

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I enjoyed the first SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN movie. Hey! Darren Magavin!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Part of it may be that I'd grew up watching Richard Anderson, and fast-paced episodes, but the pilot seemed slow. Had I seen it first, well who knows?

One can apply the logic to a lot of things. I'd been raised on a diet of Roger Moore 007 films so when I viewed the largely gadget-less DOCTOR NO, it felt ponderous; nowadays, it's one of my favourites.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Saved yourself with those last six words, Robbie!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The pilot of PARKS AND REC felt like a rehash of THE OFFICE and wasn’t indicative of what the show later became.

The pilot of CHUCK felt like a very low-budget production, and it kept me from returning to the show until after the first season had aired.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE WIRE. Great series, but re-watching it all 6 months ago, the pilot shows no reflection of the series it wuld become.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION. Patrick Stewart keeps you going through the pilot, and Q shows no signs of the villain he would become. Then again, TNG never really got its act together until Michael Piller took over.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think THE OFFICE (US version) had a pretty awful pilot but evolved into being a funny series with flashes of real poignancy (especially with Michael Scott).

Agree on ST:TNG-- was disappointed by the pilot. ST: VOYAGER was likewise disappointing but it set the tone for a series that would become a series of letdowns and missed opportunities.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

VOYAGER suffered even more from Michael Piller reducing / leaving his role as showrunner in the ST franchise at that point. Unlike Ira Steven Behr on DS9, Jeri Taylor and Brannon Braga seemed to miss opportunity after opportunity with VOYAGER.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

For me a lot of shows will fall into that "man that was a bad first episode". But only after going back and watching, after seeing a series reach maturity and not thinking that at airing.

I do agree with PARKS and REC. I remember thinking "no not another show with people glancing into the camera. It wont work!"
Sure am glad I was wrong there!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

SEINFELD was another show that survived a pretty poor pilot. But like ST: TNG it actually took the show until its 3rd Season to really hit its stride.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE GATHERING really doesn't do BABYLON 5 any favours, even in it's revised form.

Several characters have changed appearances and act quite differently than the regular series.   Those stupid rings that Delenn had that were never seen again.  The ridiculous alien sector that looked like the inside of a barn!   Some characters were written out but their replacement series characters repeated lines verbatim.

When the series was picked up I was surpirsed they didn't take a few episodes to retell the events of the pilot (either directly or by exposition) to give the start of the story some coherence with the rest of the series and leave that dreadful pilot never to be seen again.   When B5 is sold as a package for broadcast the films (including the pilot) are a separate negotiated purchase and the series starts at the first episode which is very jarring.

On another note -- how many series took the opportunity to re-do their pilots as regular TV episodes?

*BARNEY MILLER -- "The Life and Times of Barney Miller" is redone as the regular series episode "Ramon".

*LIFE ON MARS (US) -- The first pilot "Hit and Run" (with an atrocious performance from Colm Meaney as Gene Hunt) was redone as the first episode "Crash" with Harvey Keitel as Hunt.   Even Keitel couldn't save that turkey of a show.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 09 August 2018 at 10:08pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

LIFE ON MARS (US) -- The first pilot "Hit and Run" (with an atrocious performance from Colm Meaney as Gene Hunt) was redone as the first episode "Crash" with Harvey Keitel as Hunt.   Even Keitel couldn't save that turkey of a show.
---------------------------------------------------------
It is funny, and an interesting curiosity that we have three pilots telling essentially the same story, but with three different Gene Hunt performances and three different locales. The UK version is definitely the best pilot though.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

SIMON & SIMON re-did their pilot episode like STAR TREK:TOS. The series was originally called PIRATE'S KEY and set in Florida, but CBS rejected the 1980 pilot as they felt MAGNUM, P.I. took care of the "Blue Skies" locale. It also wasn't very good.

CBS still saw potential in the series and asked Phil DeGuere the creator to take another look. As DeGuere said in interviews, he realised that a Key in Florida was too limiting storywise, so moved the setting to San Diego tweaked a few other elements, gave it a more ROCKFORD FILES feel and we got the series we did. Interestingly the PIRATE'S KEY pilot was not forgotten, and was used as an episode (via flashbacks) in the series and became part of the show's continuity.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The pilot for Moonlighting is rather dull, and the chemistry isn't there yet. It's just Bruce Willis overacting and screwing around in what seems like very inappropriate ways.

Cheers pilot was probably the worst episode of the first season. Established the situation, but lacks the clever interaction of the characters.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I am of the belief that many comedy shows have what we might see as bad pilots. As I think a lot of comedy comes from the anticipation of how characters would react, if we know all their various personality quirks and relationships to each other.

But with an opening episode we don't know the characters, so you can't rely on that. That might explain Cheers bad pilot. I think Frasier's pilot didn't seem so good at the time for the same reason. But as soon as you start to anticipate how a character like Niles might react to something Roz or Daphne says, then you start hitting comedy gold. And thankfully it didn't take them long to find their feet and run with it.

It's why I get a bit annoyed when comedy shows get cancelled early. (Like the recent Powerless.) I think folks need to have a bit more patience there for the characters, actors and writers to gel and get the rhythm going..

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

LIFE ON MARS (US) --  Even Keitel couldn't save that turkey of a show.

It might have helped if Keitel could have been bothered to actually earn his paycheck. Surely one of the worst examples of an actor phoning it in I have seen in modern times.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version