Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Short Stories vs Continuing Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I looked into some of those New Universe titles and I think maybe going by Morituri they are a combination of fairly simple art and story crossed with a lot of supposedly realistic graphic violence and death. So not for me really, unless Star Brand possibly. I might give that a shot sometime.

All the successful comics that lasted long term that I can think of have a sort of unchanging frame to them, kind of like Mash, Cheers and Gunsmoke had. A character or two, a place, something that stays as long as the title is there. With Thor it was maybe even just Mjolnir the hammer! You figure out what's a load bearing wall to the particular title and you either don't mess with it, or only very temporarily. X-Men to me seems to have to have mutants who have to be careful but stay true to wanting to live alongside humans. Then you illustrate and explore variations on the central theme. Someone else gets the hammer, some mutants decide they have had it with all humans and others vow to hinder them or reason with them that they're as bad as the humans who want no mutants. Donald Duck is a spaz, Uncle Scrooge likes to have all the money, Huey, Dewey and the other guy are the smartest characters in the comic. Tell a story. Make it interesting. Spice with some longer developments. Find yourself back with the original load bearing elements, but re-arranged or changed slightly. Tell other stories. Show different sides of an issue. Make people care. A story is an engine according to Stephen King) you might want to tune it up to run smoothly for a long time or do some other non-serial kind of thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Adam S. - "...the powers that be at Marvel intend to get the X-Men back, finally, to normal."

Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey/Marvel Girl/Phoenix, and Professor X.? I might just think about purchasing that book, depending on the team. A team of senior, elite super heroes who have been working together since they were teens could be very interesting.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There are two big X-Men events coming. One started this week.

EXTERMINATION is supposed to deal with the problems caused by bringing the young X-Men from the past to the present and leaving them here for too long. My bet: this will end with them returning, and the gap is supposed to align with the years when UNCANNY X-MEN wasn't being published.

X-MEN DISASSEMBLED is their other big event, supposedly an "all hands on deck" ultra-crisis of some kind. My bet: Cyclops is resurrected, the original team is reassembled (with Professor X), and UNCANNY X-MEN resumes their story, while there will be one or two spinoff titles to account for all the other X-Men out there.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've read some fairly recent CAPTAIN AMERICA and IRON MAN recently. Single issues.

Sorry, but little-to-no action, too much talking. For three quid or more per book, it doesn't feel like value. Why wouldn't I wait for the trade? 

Put together, as a trade, the issues would compile a great story. But as solo issues, three quid or more is a lot for TALKING HEADS.

I bought an IRON MAN book in the late 80s. In the issue, there was talk. Stark clashed with Fury. But there was action, too. Iron Man VS Mandroids. It felt like value for money.

=====================================================

Robbie, I assume you are talking about the recent Captain America re-launch?

As I thought the recent Mark Waid run was pretty full of action, combined with single issue stories, a 3 parter, and a 4 parter.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Greg, no not that one (I enjoyed that one, particularly Cap VS Kraven).

One was INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #597 ("The Search For Tony Stark" arc). Felt like little happened at all. Yet IRON MAN #227 (around 1988, I guess) had plenty of action AND talking heads.

As for Cap, thinking of the 2017 issues (CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE ROGERS), with all the tie-in "Secret Empire" stories. So uneventful in places. I gave some a go, but I was disappointed.

What incentive is there for me to buy single issues that are largely uneventful? Taken as a whole, in TPB form, they may have merit, but I think three quid or more for an uneventful issue is a big ask.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey/Marvel Girl/Phoenix, and Professor X.? I might just think about purchasing that book, depending on the team. A team of senior, elite super heroes who have been working together since they were teens could be very interesting.

"Normal" meaning that every character who should be alive is alive, every character with a hopelessly confusing backstory goes away, other characters who shouldn't exist in the first place get killed, people who were written out-of-character for years get put back, ah, into character (Cyclops and Professor X, both back from the dead), etc.

(I do wish a writer would "retcon" every Cyclops appearance since at least the end of Grant Morrison's NEW X-MEN as not being the real Cyclops. It was a clone, you see. That's why his personality changed so dramatically. And the clone died, not the real Scott, who's been held in captivity by some villain somewhere for years.)

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Normal" meaning that every character who should be alive is alive, every character with a hopelessly confusing backstory goes away, other characters who shouldn't exist in the first place get killed, people who were written out-of-character for years get put back, ah, into character (Cyclops and Professor X, both back from the dead), etc.

Paging the Anti-Monitor!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Clones with alternate personalities who suffer breakdowns, becoming villains themselves... An overwhelming, intense focus on Cyclops... This all sounds like it should be the work of Mr. Sinister to me.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Rebecca, you might like Mark Gruenwald's D.P. 7.  

If you do read Star Brand to the end, or skip to the end, he has an interesting connection after his series ended to the Marvel Universe and Quasar.  But I think John Byrne started writing this series with issue 11, so you might not want to skip anything.

Edited by Mason Meomartini on 17 August 2018 at 6:00pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version