Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Weekend Box Office August 3-5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT didn't see much in the way of competition this weekend as it handily beat out all newcomers with an estimated $35 mil.  The most impressive thing about its second weekend numbers is that it only fell 42% week-to-week.  That's an incredibly strong hold for an action film on over four thousand screens.  That means word of mouth is driving attendance as is repeat viewing. FALLOUT is pacing well ahead of ROGUE NATION which went on to gross $195 mil domestic in 2015.  No reason to think that FALLOUT won't cross $200 mil domestic when all is said and done, a feat only two of the previous five films in the franchise have accomplished.  

In second place comes  DISNEY'S CHRISTOPHER ROBIN.  Its estimated $25 mil haul is rather disappointing for a high profile film from the Mouse House.  Some of that may come down to a rather confusing marketing campaign that doesn't really define what the film is about.  Speculation to be sure, but it could also be a result of audiences questioning the premise of Pooh and Friends not in the Hundred Acre Wood but smack dab in the middle of  20th Century England. The film currently has a middle of the road 68% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a mixed bag to be sure.  Although ROBIN opened marginally better than PETE'S DRAGON ($21.5 mil in 2015) that's not a positive sign as that film only went on to gross $76.2 mil domestic.  

In third place is THE SPY WHO DUMPED ME with $12.3 mil.  That's a rather inauspicious debut and, again, Rotten Tomatoes may tell the tale.  The film currently rests at 37%.  That's not to say that poorly reviewed films can't make their money.  One only need look at the OVERBOARD remake from earlier this summer.  While that film has a fairly dismal 26% rating, it grossed $50.2 mil domestic.  However, it had a slim $12 mil production budget which made it much easier to recoup costs.  SPY, on the other hand, cost $40 mil and grossed $2 mil less than OVERBOARD after their respective opening weekends.  Not a rosy picture.

The last new release of the week, the YA film THE DARKEST MINDS, opened with a thud at #8.  This potential franchise starter limped to a $5.8 mil opening.  Reviews are mostly negative and the expected teen audience didn't materialize.  This film is already an afterthought after a single week.  

Short Takes:  

- It took 25 weeks to do it, but BLACK PANTHER finally crossed $700 mil domestic.  It's not only the #3 domestic film of all time (topped by STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and AVATAR) it's just the third film ever to reach those heights.  

- Both MAMMA MIA! HERE WE GO AGAIN and THE EQUALIZER 2 have earned back their respective production budgets.

- TEEN TITANS GO! TO THE MOVIES fell a hefty 53% week-to-week.  Although it has earned double its production budget, it's an unimpressive box office reception for an animated film.  

Up Next:  The infamous August dump continues with four films in wide release. The comedy DOG DAYS starring Vanessa Hudgens and Eva Longoria opens Wednesday.  The sci-fi thriller THE MEG starring Jason Statham, the Spike Lee drama BlacKkKlansman starring John David Washington, Adam Driver and Topher Grace,  and the horror film SLENDER MAN all open on Friday.

Here, as always, are the weekend estimates courtesy of our friends at Box Office Mojo:

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

FYI I will be out of town at my best friend's wedding in Alabama next weekend, so there will be no box office report.  

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The previews make me want to see The Meg, but I strongly suspect it won't be any good. Maybe it will be bad good...

Thanks for posting these Matt.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I read "The Meg" years ago and it's pretty silly. It'll be a fine line between this being over the top fun and being a really expensive SyFy Network movie.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That's how I described The Meg to my daughter. I hope it's good. I could go for a fun monster movie about now.
I didn't realize it was based on a book.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version