Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: BETTER CALL SAUL, season 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2018 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

“Coushatta”.

Oh, man. What a well-earned payoff to the opening of this episode. Kim and Jimmy’s plan is so ridiculous and so elaborate that of course It works. I friggin’ lost it when “Pastor Hanford” discretely requested that the CD labeled “organ music” be played for a convincing background effect. To say nothing of the army of burner phones, all with their own names and backstories. And the dry-erase board with all of the tips to effectively convey convincing stories from the “parishioners” clamoring for Huell’s release.

Also, this. The phone number is real.

In other news, we finally come back to Nacho, and get an brief, insightful glimpse into his inner life. He’s going through the motions as head of the Salamanca operation, but he has an escape plan. And then Lalo Salamanca comes on the scene to make an impossible situation that much harder. Yikes.

And we also have Krazy-8, now serving in the same position which Nacho filled for Hector, but he’s still not yet the brutal drug dealer we met way back in the BREAKING BAD pilot.

Yeah, Werner’s gonna be Mike’s tipping point, I think. You can already see Mike distancing himself, because he’s afraid of what may come. He befriended this guy, and then he screwed up by talking too much. Jonathan Banks brings fantastic subtlety, gravity, and depth to the scene where Mike tells Werner to “turn to Jesus”. 

Of course, the big emotional payoff of this episode—and perhaps even the past few seasons—comes down to Kim. Or, If you prefer, Giselle. I saw it coming. I saw it in the subtle smile on Kim’s face during the Mesa Verde meeting, and I saw it when she pulled the Zafiro Anejo stopper out of her desk. People have been saying that this turnaround was a case of subverting expectations, but I kinda think it’s more the fulfillment of a subplot that’s been brewing throughout the entire series,

Of course Kim likes it. Of course she does. That’s what’s drawn her to Jimmy all along. She has a wild streak which she keeps suppressed 99% of the time. But...scamming with Jimmy is a turn-on for her. Just like it is for him. That’s why they click.

Until now, we were being led to believe that Kim and Jimmy’s relationship was quickly disintegrating. In hindsight, that was just clever misdirection. In hindsight, all of the little clues regarding Kim being dissatisfied with Mesa Verde and her strained relationship with Jimmy make perfect sense. She was just struggling with embracing her true self. Just as Jimmy has been for the entirety of the series.

“Let’s do it again.”

The truly chilling thing about this is that the straight-arrow Kim we see 99% of the time was the one thing holding Jimmy back from embracing his inner conman. If she’s actually going to enable him now, then things are gonna get messy fast.

That being said, the show was indeed leading us to think that Jimmy and Kim were drifting apart. And, when you stop and think about it, that would absolutely have been the best-case scenario. Now, however...now things aren’t looking good at all.

The logical assumption would be that Kim finally breaking bad and willingly engaging in illegal cons with Jimmy will eventually lead to her being disgraced/imprisoned/dead/whatever. But...what if the longstanding joke amongst Odenkirk and the crew wasn’t a joke? What if Saul Goodman really did go home to Kim every night during the BREAKING BAD time period? What if there’s a whole other side to things which we didn’t know about?

It seems unlikely, yes, but you never do know.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

But...what if the longstanding joke amongst Odenkirk and the crew wasn’t a joke? What if Saul Goodman really did go home to Kim every night during the BREAKING BAD time period? What if there’s a whole other side to things which we didn’t know about?

That would be mindblowing.

Especially in light of Gene's miserable existence.   Not only can he not be his true self.   He can't be his true self with Kim.   

How long did they say the Sandpiper settlement would take?  Eight to ten years?   There's probably a sizable cheque waiting in escrow for Jimmy McGill and 'Gene' can't do squat to collect it.   Money that Jimmy rightfully earned fair and square versus all of the laundered money he had to deal with in the Saul years. 

Personally, I think Kim makes it to the end of BCS but I bet she required the services of a certain vacuum repair man...  Perhaps Jimmy's first experience with the 'service'.

In hindsight, all of the little clues regarding Kim being dissatisfied with Mesa Verde and her strained relationship with Jimmy make perfect sense. She was just struggling with embracing her true self. Just as Jimmy has been for the entirety of the series.

It puts Kim's reaction to Jimmy's reveal in the last episode in a whole new light, that's for sure.

Yeah, Werner’s gonna be Mike’s tipping point, I think. You can already see Mike distancing himself, because he’s afraid of what may come. He befriended this guy, and then he screwed up by talking too much. Jonathan Banks brings fantastic subtlety, gravity, and depth to the scene where Mike tells Werner to “turn to Jesus”. 

I'm kind of surprised Werner slipped up so soon -- to be fair last episode's time jump really hasn't fully sunk in for me yet.  I think BCS is  done with the slow burn of the first few seasons and it's going to continue ramping up for this season and next (which I think will be the last, just like BB).   I think a perfect way to end BCS would be the last episode taking place during the BB pilot, except we see everything from the perspective of the BCS characters.   A perfect segue into BB and a mobius loop for a show that is both a prequel and a sequel to it's parent.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

All that work by those men. All those months spent carving out that space. And it all gets torched by Walt and Jesse. I wonder if either of them would have had the slightest inkling of the effort required to get that space put together. Walt was focused on the quality of the equipment. But the labor behind it all likely not so much.

Nacho seems to be set to make his escape. Manitoba might be a bit of an adjustment for him and his pops. Assuming he could convince the old man to give up everything and get the heck out of Albuquerque.

We finally get to meet Lalo and he's definitely not like any Salamanca we've encountered. I could see him working well with Jimmy until things sour later on. I wonder if we'll get a Gus/Lalo scene or two before the season is done.

Hard to believe we only have two more weeks left and then the wait for season five begins.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

How long did they say the Sandpiper settlement would take?  Eight to ten years?   There's probably a sizable cheque waiting in escrow for Jimmy McGill and 'Gene' can't do squat to collect it.   Money that Jimmy rightfully earned fair and square versus all of the laundered money he had to deal with in the Saul years. 
++++++++

The Sandpiper case and its fallout has been a running thread throughout the entire series, and I’m thinking that it’s gonna eventually pay off, if you’ll pardon the pun.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 25 September 2018 at 8:41am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think BCS is  done with the slow burn of the first few seasons and it's going to continue ramping up for this season and next (which I think will be the last, just like BB.
+++++++

A lot of people sorta-kinda think of BB’s final season as its sixth season, even though it’s technically supposed to be season five, but broken up into two halves spaced a year apart. So, that could mean a sixth season for BCS in order for both shows to be symmetrical.

I’m already dreading the fact that there are only two episodes left to go, this season!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

At least once in BB that I remember, Saul mentions a past wife.  A lot of what came out of Saul's mouth was B.S., but we've seen that some of it, like convincing a woman he was Kevin Costner, was actually true.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

He mentions catching his second wife screwing his stepdad.

There are enough gaps in the timeline to allow for Jimmy being married once or twice at some point prior to the bulk of BCS. Or, he had a really busy love life in-between BCS and BB.

But, yeah, that throwaway line could easily be chalked up to hyperbole on Saul’s part. Although it does raise questions about Kim’s status during BB. Maybe Mrs. Nguyen was just a little ahead of the curve by calling Kim Jimmy’s wife. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Oh dear, i have pulled Jimmy`s trick,almost! Back in
the 80`s, 90`s and early 00`s, before the internet
spoiled everything(All knowledge at the click of a
mouse),i used to enter competitions that required a
bit of knowledge, answers sent on a postcard or sealed
envelope. If it was a competition i REALLY wanted to
win, i increased my chances by entering 3 times, using
sealed envelopes, plain postcards and the promo ones
you could pick up free at the cinema.I used my mom`s
address (Using my name), my in-laws address(Using my
wife`s maiden name) and my own address (using my
wife`s married name)
I developed 3 distinct styles of handwriting, block
capitals for me, tiny neat writing for the in laws
address, and neat curvy letters for my wife!
I had a pretty good success rate, although the female
identities seemed to win more, especially the single
lady!
I must admit i sat here grinning during Jimmy and
Kim`s hustle!
Another excellent episode, i find myself looking at
the clock, not wanting the ep to end!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bill, I did something similar in college with the Columbia House record and tape club, getting the big introductory deal over and over again with three rotating aliases.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Steve, I guess there's a bit of Jimmy in all of us!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“Let’s do it again.”

When your better half wants to be your worse half, you got problems. 

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The truly chilling thing about this is that the
straight-arrow Kim we see 99% of the time was the one
thing holding Jimmy back from embracing his inner
conman. If she’s actually going to enable him now,
then things are gonna get messy fast.

---

I like straight-arrow Kim. She turned into a
politician this episode. I think this is the thrill a
lot of corrupt officials get into.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I like straight-arrow Kim. She turned into a  politician this episode. I think this is the thrill a  lot of corrupt officials get into.

——

Kim was never a straight-arrow though. She was fine with, and sometimes impressed by, some of Jimmy’s less than ethical moves. Her concerns were that he was going to get caught, not that he was behaving unethically. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The assumption has been that Mike was Saul’s entry point into the cartel world, but what if it ends up being Kim?

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Kim was never a straight-arrow though. She was fine
with, and sometimes impressed by, some of Jimmy’s less
than ethical moves. Her concerns were that he was
going to get caught, not that he was behaving
unethically.

---

I think she admired his talent, but I don't think she
ever planned to let it affect her work or her own
standards.

Realistically, the guys I have known in life that do
things like Saul did not give a damn who they were
hurting, very selfish. TV tends to glamorize bad
qualities to the point where you like the main
character, but in real life you would hate him.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Kim was never a straight-arrow though. She was fine 
with, and sometimes impressed by, some of Jimmy’s less 
than ethical moves. Her concerns were that he was 
going to get caught, not that he was behaving 
unethically.
++++++++

I didn’t really mean to indicate that she was a straight-arrow in the “goody-goody” sense. Just that she normally does her job by the book, and is a law-abiding citizen. The 1% previously came down to her being impressed by Jimmy’s skills as a conman, and occasionally participating herself, albeit in a reasonably law-abiding way. Now, she wants to go all-in, it seems.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

https://tvline.com/2018/09/25/better-call-saul-season-4-epis ode-8-mike-ehrmantraut-jonathan-banks-interview/

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

How many more episodes?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Two episodes left.

Also, the INSIDER Podcast is up. It gets into a lengthy and truly fascinating discussion with Michael Mando about where Nacho is at, right now, and how Gus figures into it. Gilligan, Gould, and the others voice some interesting ideas, too. It really goes to show how invested everyone is in this show, and just how much thought goes into the characters on every level. Everyone has something to contribute, and there’s not necessarily a right or wrong answer when it comes to readings and interpretations of the characters.

For this latest episode, Mando specifically spoke to the director about Nacho’s safe being a symbol for his heart. And, when you look at the scene with that in mind, it makes perfect sense. Nacho walks though his empty outer life (his fancy car, his fancy house, his meth-whore groupies), and opens a safe which contains fake IDs for himself and his father. Mando feels that Nacho’s deep love for his father and deep shame over his own mistakes is the driving engine of the character. Really interesting stuff. 

Of all the gangsters and thugs seen throughout both both BREAKING BAD and BETTER CALL SAUL, Nacho is the only one who is both sane and has a conscience. He’s very much inherited the spirit of Jesse Pinkman, in that way. 

At first glance, one might think that Nacho is now a hardened gangster who’s taken over Hector’s business. However, Mando’s subtleties clue us in to the fact that it’s just a mask for a man who’s terrified, and has achieved—at great cost—what he only thought he wanted when he first started working with Tuco. And now he just desperately wants to escape.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Werner's "It will never happen again" scene is pretty much a thematic echo of Paige's confrontation with Kim a few episodes back.   In a subtle way Nacho jumping into Hector's shoes with gusto after his 'shooting' is also an unspoken version of the same type of scene.   All three basically apologize in some capacity and go back to work toiling in a job they are chafing in but now they are more careful not to show it.

Something interesting about Mike I've observed is his conversation with Werner happens in the open in the workplace once everyone has left the room -- and that's how every 'work' conversation with Mike happens.   When you are talking to Mike you are 'in his office' so to speak.   Whether the other end of the conversation knows it or not even casual chats with Mike are workplace conversations.  Go back to BB and watch the scenes where Mike is speaking to either Walter or Jesse (especially when he's driving Jesse somewhere) and you'll start to see the same pattern.   Suddenly "Shut up and let me die in peace" becomes the Mike equivalent of "get the hell out of my office".

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

“Let’s do it again.”

Ok. Maybe THIS is the turning point everyone has been expecting. This show could not be better. It’s TV perfection. And the idea that he could still be with Kim throughout BB is sheer genius. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I have the sinking feeling that there’s tragedy on the horizon, be it Kim ending up disgraced, imprisoned, or killed (with Jimmy/Saul managing to escape her fate). That said, I can’t quite see her becoming a hardened criminal (or Mrs. Saul Goodman), but you never do know.

After all, there’s no reason why she wouldn’t go with Jimmy to Omaha, if she were still in the picture during BREAKING BAD.

There’s a real genius to the way this show twists the knife. We’re invested in Jimmy and Kim as a couple, and the creators led us to believe that they were drifting apart. Seeing them suddenly get close again should be a triumphant moment for all of the Jimmy and Kimmy McGill shippers in the audience. Instead, it’s probably the worst thing that could possibly happen, because we have an idea of where things are going, based on BREAKING BAD. 

No good will come from this, I think.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

However, Greg, wouldn't it be much more difficult for 2 people to disappear together than not?

I'm not saying that Kim is or isn't around during BB, just that if the mob or the feds or whoever is looking for Jimmy/Saul, they'd have a better chance of finding them if they were together than if they had split up.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

An idle thought, i wonder if the superlab had a few
German bodies in the concrete?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

However, Greg, wouldn't it be much more difficult for 2 people to disappear together than not?

++++++++

Remember, Walt told Saul to make arrangements to have his entire family get new identities and go with him into hiding (both when he feared that Gus would kill them all, and then again later on, after Hank was killed), so package deals were clearly a part of Ed’s “disappearing” service. No reason Saul and Kim couldn’t have gone together, unless she was out of the picture at that point.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 27 September 2018 at 11:23am

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version