Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: BETTER CALL SAUL, season 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 21 2018 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

David Costabile talks about his appearance last night.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

An interesting chat with the enchanting Rhea Seehorn. Iím hoping she finally gets an Emmy nod, this season. I have a feeling sheís gonna have a wide range of material to play with, acting-wise.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 22 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The symbols are back, but only on Greg`s posts!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 22 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Brutal episode. I think at this point I can finally start feeling sorry for Nacho. Interesting bits of misdirection in this episode - we quickly learn what was in Chuck's letter - and it's pretty anti-climactic. That's fine with me. I'm not sure if I would have liked seeing a post-mortem revelation from Chuck. And Mike quickly turns down Jimmy's offer - and I also prefer it that way. I was thinking in-between episodes that I couldn't see Mike taking on such a silly job, especially at this point in his life as a "Security Consultant" for Madrigal - and I was right. Whew.

Jimmy's progression to Saul seems near complete, but Mike still has a way to go - he's still not comfortable with killing yet, so I'm eager to see what gets him there.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 22 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If someone could please translate the characters, that might solve Billís mystery. Ancient Chinese curse, maybe?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 22 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Iíve seen a lot of reviews citing Jimmyís blasť response to Chuckís letter as a sign of his transformation into Saul, but honestly, how else should Jimmy react? The letter is perfectly in line with Season 1 Chuck, with Chuck playing the part of a supportive brother despite his differences with Jimmy. Before he died, Chuck left Jimmy with no doubt that was all bullshit.

Despite all the darkness surrounding the cartel stuff, I loved that there was still room for comedy, with Iraís ill-timed Hummel heist. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 22 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Regarding Kim`s ponytail being limp, i just thought it
was because she has her arm in a sling and is unable to
get it tight, or Jimmy is doing it for her and isn`t
very good at it!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 22 2018 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Regarding Kim`s ponytail being limp, i just thought it 
was because she has her arm in a sling and is unable to 
get it tight, or Jimmy is doing it for her and isn`t 
very good at it!
++++++++

Thatís the obvious, in-universe explanation, of course. Iím talking about the subtext of it. Nothing on this show is an accident, and the crew sweats the small details like this, especially when it comes to costumes and props. In both BREAKING BAD and BETTER CALL SAUL, costumes, props, and hairstyles are always expressive of character. The limp ponytail is clearly a visual representation of Kimís current state of mind.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 23 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Lots of carefully-laid threads being slowly drawn together, in this one. Itís clear that Gus faked the hit on Arturo and Nacho for three reasons: 1) To make use of (and dispose of) Arturoís corpse; 2) To make Nacho appear to be a loyal Salamanca man who was shot twice in the line of duty by mysterious rivals; 3) To manufacture an imaginary threat in order to get Juan Bolsa to loosen up and allow Gus to seek a drug manufacturer on our side of the border. 

There was also a chance that Nacho might not have survived which would also serve Gus' desire to keep the Salamancas in disarray.   Gus seems the type to carefully construct both an A plan and a B plan.

This of course, brings us to Gale. I had a feeling heíd be showing up, sooner or later. I also have a feeling that this was just a fun cameo, rather than the beginning of a new subplot. The scene serves a good purpose, though. We see that Gale is testing the purity of meth from various chemists for Gus.

... and I think we'll find out of those cooks is 'Capn Cook' or someone he associates with, perhaps the person who trained him.   By the time of the BB pilot the Salamancas are reduced to relying on small local cooks rather than product made by the Cartel in Mexico -- possibly because Gus has made it all but impossible for them to get product across the border.   Gus would absolutely enjoy seeing the Salamancas bleed money slowly to death selling a substandard product from a cook that he had rejected.  Jesse's age is never stated onscreen in BB but I'd venture mid-late twenties topps -- which would put him at least one or a handful of years out of high school in the BCS timeframe.   I doubt Jesse will show up in BCS in other than a cameo but I think we will see a new character this season or next who will be the person who teaches Jesse and Emilio how to cook (badly).

And, based on Gusí dialogue, heís clearly already thinking ahead of employing Gale in his secret superlab, which BCS season three had established is already under development during this period. Of course, we all know how that turned out, after Gus was convinced by Gale that Waltís 99.1% pure meth was the way to go.

It's crazy how in retrospect that Gus' construction of the superlab and Walt's emergence on the scene is a case of right-place-right-time.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 23 2018 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jesse's age is never stated onscreen in BB but I'd venture mid-late twenties topps -- which would put him at least one or a handful of years out of high school in the BCS timeframe.   I doubt Jesse will show up in BCS in other than a cameo but I think we will see a new character this season or next who will be the person who teaches Jesse and Emilio how to cook (badly).

++++++++

In ďCrawl SpaceĒ, Gusí doctor says that Jesse is 25. The episode takes place around 2008 or so, and I believe the official stance is that Jesse was born in 1984, which would place him around 19 at the point where BCS currently stands (2003-2004).

Personally, I get the vibe that Jesseís ďCapín CookĒ operation hadnít been going for too long before he partnered up with Walt. I donít think that Idiot Jesse of BBís first season could have run a successful meth operation for literally years before Walt came along. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 23 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's crazy how in retrospect that Gus' construction of the superlab and Walt's emergence on the scene is a case of right-place-right-time.
++++++++

Something I appreciate about BCS is its making very clear the how and why of Gus taking a chance on Walt and his product. Gusí original plan was to use Gale as his chemist, but Gale himself talked Gus into taking advantage of Waltís 99.1% pure formula. BCS has shown us Gusí first moves to consolidate power and build a manufacture-distrubution system under his control and on his side of the border.

Of course, that risk of taking Walt on as a chemist proved disastrous in the end. Yes, finally Gus got his revenge on the cartel, but Walt caused him any number of major problems, and also caused his death, by way of Hector. And, despite all of the buildup of Gusí backstory and his desire for vengeance, Hector got the last laugh!

As Iíve noted, BCS is very much a parade of future BREAKING BAD corpses. Most of them killed either directly or indirectly by Walter White. 

As Iíve also noted, rewatching BREAKING BAD after BETTER CALL SAUL is complete will be a fascinating experience. So many characters and moments will now be informed by all of this new information and backstory. Our perception of the clownish, criminal lawyer Saul Goodman alone will be completely transformed.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: August 23 2018 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Based on Jesse's age for the BCS time frame there seems to be no way to get Aaron Paul on the show without a solid dose of de-aging like the Marvel movies have gotten decently good at doing. For a modestly rated series like BCS it seems a stretch to have him on there. Let's say it's a five minute scene and it gets a lot of word of mouth. That's still a bit of a crap shoot. All for what is mostly a stunt.

Bryan Cranston is a bit easier to include but seems even less likely. Unless "Saul" shows up at the car wash or something similar what would be the reason for any of our cast to cross paths with him? I'm sure you could find something but then it's just a marketing stunt.

The only characters that seem possible at this point and could be useful in the story are Hank and Gomey. The issue with that is how that muddies the waters even further. We have a lot of stories and characters going on. Adding in the law enforcement side of things makes it even more crowded. But a nice way to tie in the end of the series to the beginning of Breaking Bad.

Fortunately the people making the show are interested in making the show work as well. So stunt casting, even of people in the BB/BCS universe, hasn't been a priority. If the story dictates it and they can do it I'm sure they'll add in who they can when they can.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version