Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: BETTER CALL SAUL, season 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Steve, I think that's a great idea though I think BCS is set around 2002 or 2003 while BB is specifically set in 2007-2009.   Unless we have some forward jumps -- though I think Vince Gilligan has said we wouldn't be overlapping the timeframes of the two shows.
++++++++++++++++

In theory, if BCS runs six seasons, it could roughly cover the entire span from 2002-2007.

Also, it's been revealed that this season will have some kind of flashforward (or back, depending on how you look at it) directly into the time period of BREAKING BAD. Hmmm.

Peter Gould also gave the cryptic hint to "watch the tequila". Gus used poisoned Zafiro Anejo to kill the cartel, and it's the drink of choice for Jimmy and Kim. A shot of the bottle was included in the season 4 trailer, I believe. Maybe that's the BB connection. Hmmm.

The BB cameos have all made sense, thus far. And I'm SO glad that they've committed to telling another brilliant story instead of falling back on fanservice and coasting. Really, though, it's all one big story. The two shows are intimately connected (and are becoming even moreso), and yet also operate independently. It's brilliant stuff. So many clever and ironic callbacks and call-forwards to enjoy.

Walter White's story was a story of life and death--and a man who wanted to feel alive at terrible cost. Jimmy's story is the story of the struggle for a man's soul. Lots of thematic overlap, but each story is unique and fresh.

The connections and echoes are more obvious, now. We all got a Walter White and Drew Sharp vibe from the Act 4 opening with the Madrigal employee and the kid with the bike, right?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I read the ending of the episode a little differently. I took it that Hamlinís blaming of himself, specifically him pointing out that he could have dealt with the increase in insurance rates in another way, as giving Jimmy a mental Ďoutí. It wasnít what Jimmy did that triggered Chuckís suicide, it was how Hamlin responded to it.
++++++++++++

The above seems to line up with what Odenkirk has said. Jimmy compartmentalizes his own guilt, and jumps at the chance for Hamlin to take the blame. He passes the buck because he no longer cares. Or at least he's pretending not to.

Shades of Walter White constantly lying to himself and blaming everyone else, there.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just started the premiere and Iím pissed off. They had him turned wrong for his chest X-ray. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Itís interesting to note that the sequence is very BREAKING BAD in that thereís lots of handheld/shaky-cam cinematography, as opposed to the more traditional, smooth camera style seen throughout the bulk of BETTER CALL SAUL. A nice, subtle reminder that these season-opening teasers take place in a post-BB world.

I noticed the camerawork as well.   They are really working to make BCS look and feel like it was shot in the year it takes place -- right down to the camera angles, blocking, and the editing/cuts.   It acknowledges just how much BB changed the landscape of television and why almost every drama show that came after it is trying to play catch up to both it's style and execution.   So what do the producers of BCS do?  They buck that trend and do the opposite!   Brilliant.

They also really emphasize just how different the three eras are:  The pre-BB era is rich in colour to the point of saturation.  Even the desert scenes are full of life, making it almost dream-like.   The post-BB era is desaturated and monochromatic like a monotonous nightmare.   BB sits in the middle and in contrast to these two extremes appears normal by comparison!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just started the premiere and Iím pissed off. They had him turned wrong for his chest X-ray. 
+++++++

Maybe thisíll end up like whole DMV/MVD thing, and theyíll address the goof!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They also really emphasize just how different the three eras are:  The pre-BB era is rich in colour to the point of saturation.  Even the desert scenes are full of life, making it almost dream-like.   The post-BB era is desaturated and monochromatic like a monotonous nightmare.   BB sits in the middle and in contrast to these two extremes appears normal by comparison!
++++++++++

Itís probably completely unintentional, but, looking at it from that point of view, the loud colors of Saul Goodmanís suits could be seen to represent Jimmy cloaking himself in a false veneer of vivid colors reminiscent of happier days. By the time we get to Omaha, those old Saul commercials are the only splash of color left in his horrible and lonely life. 

A stretch, to be sure, but I kinda dig that idea.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw the first episode, great stuff

SPOILER QUESTION

Was he happy because his insurance plan caused it, or
because he feels it wasn't his fault ultimately?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Being someone who has been in situations where I wanted
to know exactly what happened and will never know, I can
see some relief in just KNOWING what caused it.

Wondering what happened in a traumatic situation is
torture.

Edited by Thomas Woods on 07 August 2018 at 10:48pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Was he happy because his insurance plan caused it, or 
because he feels it wasn't his fault ultimately?

------

I think he realizes that Chuck's suicide was his fault, and his reaction is not happiness, but denial and compartmentalization. Throughout the episode, Jimmy is struggling with the thought that Kim finally articulates toward the end of the episode. They are both wondering if Chuck's death was related to the hearing. When Howard explains it was the insurance issue that Jimmy spitefully caused, all that uncertainty is gone. Jimmy knows he caused Chuck's death, and from that point on, he just goes into denial.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And being able to deflect the blame onto someone that readily accepts it. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

INSIDER Podcast is up. Lots on interesting insights from Odenkirk on where Jimmyís head is at.

Sad to learn that editor Kelley Dixon is not involved with this season. Vince Gilligan has also largely stepped back, although he directed one episode.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Vince Gilligan has also largely stepped back

---

Is this the final season? I would rather see it end well
than start going bad.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version