Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This made my day.

Thanks for posting that, Greg.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I live to serve!

A friend of mine is worried that this movie could ďruinĒ the completed story of BREAKING BAD, but I have absolute faith in Gilligan. BCS has already proven that he and his team are capable of expanding on the characters and the lore without mucking up the parent series.

If itís a story worth telling, Iím good with it. I have a feeling this may end up as a TV movie, rather than a theatrical feature. Maybe even a pilot for a new spin-off series starring Jesse and the people he encounters. Or, maybe itíll just wrap things up for the character.

On an emotional level, BREAKING BAD gave Jesse a proper send-off, but his actual story was left unresolved. Did a police dragnet catch him on his way out of town? Did he go on the run and become a fugitive from the law? Try and visit Brock? Turn himself in and face the music, like a responsible adult? Lots of possibilities to play with, here.

My friend may be worried, but I say, ďYEAH, BITCH!Ē.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 07 November 2018 at 9:19pm

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Perhaps he will skip town and eventually run into "Gene" at the Cinnabon shop.

Back to Top profile | search

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"A friend of mine is worried that this movie could ďruinĒ the completed story of BREAKING BAD, but I have absolute faith in Gilligan."

Agreed! Vince Gilligan is one of the very few creators I trust to pull something like this off. I can't wait to see this!

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BREAKING BAD is pretty much the only property where I don't worry if the creators are interested in adding to the lore.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Breaking Bad is a funny thing for me. I absolutely love Better Call Saul but always found Breaking Bad to be a bit lackluster. I can't quite put a finger on what it is about it exactly but the show never really connected for me. Better Call Saul has been more up my alley, so to speak. I'll still watch the movie since I've seen everything else but I'm in no hurry.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My wife loved BB, but I canít get her to watch BCS with me at all. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Iíve known several people who love BREAKING BAD, and watched the first few episodes of BCS, but didnít quite get into it. Later, after I insisted that they try again and stick with it, they ending up binging all of the seasons, and are now actually mad at me because theyíve run out of episodes to watch.

Since BCS is a much slower burn than BB, it requires a bit more patience. But the careful buildup of those early episodes is worth it.

Iím also sort of fascinated by people who prefer one show over the other. I think that BCS has characters who are actually more likable, in the sense that the show isnít driven by crime and murder and amorality. Jimmy McGill is (was) legitimately a legitimately likable and kindhearted person. Walter White is very watchable (and is propelled by Bryan Cranstonís considerable screen presence), but he isnít actually that likable or easy to root for. BB is the sort of insidious character study that seduces you and drags you along into a nightmare, rather than giving you safe and lovable heroes to root for and care about.

BREAKING BAD is an exploration of evil in its many forms, and some people canít quite deal with it. BCS falls more into the traditional lawyer-drama vein, and is therefore a bit more palatable for sensitive viewers, I think. Itís a character tragedy rather than an unflinching examination of evil and morality. 

On the flipside, those who were all in on BBís thrills and violence may find BCS to be a bit lackluster and boring. You donít get those life-or-death moments which often made BB so shocking and so thrilling. Itís more purely about the characters and the relationships.

Me, I love Ďem both. Two sides of the same coin, and each has different things to offer. But itís all one big story, now. You can certainly enjoy them separately, but itís a much richer experience to have both shows bouncing off of each other.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think if BB fans stick with BCS, they appreciate it
more when Gus, Mike and Hector start appearing in it.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/tv/la-en-st-be tter-call-saul-live-20181108-story.html

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They are now mooting that Cranston is potentially involved with the film.

edit:   I also take the uptick in the movie news as a signal that BCS is in it's winding down phase.   They were doing the same with BCS when BB was wrapping up.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 11 November 2018 at 11:31am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Makes sense. Gould has repeatedly stated that BCS should mirror BB, with around five seasons or so.

Also, Jimmy has basically become Saul Goodman, now. The remaining major plot points for BCS to wrap up so it can properly tie into BB are: 1) How Saul goes full-criminal; 2) What happens to Kim; 3) What happens to Nacho; 4) How Saul gets involved with Lalo and Nacho.

And, of course, there's also whatever will come of the Gene in Omaha storyline.

But, the main thrust of the series--how Jimmy becomes Saul--has pretty much been achieved, now.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I have a feeling theyíll try to mirror the 62 episodes rather than five seasons.  Theyíre at 40 now, so that would be two more seasons plus two episodes.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The inherent problem is that BB had 13-episode seasons (minus the first season, which was abruptly cut short by the Writers' Guild strike, and the extended season 5a-5b, which totaled 16 episodes). BCS has 10-episode seasons.

So, there are 22 more episodes needed to perfectly mirror BB's run. Which means two more seasons of 11 episodes each, one traditional-length season of 22 episodes, or an episode total which falls short of BB's.

We'll see what happens!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 11
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version