Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Shatner’s greatest moments! (limit five) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

5: narrating the new Clangers (sweet gig, nice job!)
4: his face when he recognizes Finnegan in that one TOS episode.
3: appearing on American Pickers,because it was so unexpected.
2: telling Trek fans to get a life on SNL.
1: recording "Mr. Tambourine Man!!!!"

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 04 August 2018 at 3:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Reserve the right to change as I'm reminded of others.
These are ones that are most fresh. No order:

TWILIGHT ZONE- His reaction when he sees the gremlin's face pressed against the airplane window.

STAR TREK IV- The restaurant scene with Gillian. Love it!!

KUNG FU- Fight scene between a Scottish Shatner against Cain. Seen it recently.

WRATH OF KHAN-  Yelling Khan scene. Seems like it has become a joke, but to me still very powerful.

TOS, THE CORBOMITE MANUEVER- There may be 3 other great moments I could pick just from this episode, but I do love his "intelligent life" speech to the entire crew over the loud speaker.

Give me a few minutes and I'll change these up...

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Boston Legal S03E18 - Son of the Defender. The juxtaposition of the mature Denny Crane (William Shatner)and his younger self as seen in flashback, using footage from the 1957 tv show, Studio One in Hollywood: The Defender, was amazing.

The other four have already been mentioned.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I forgot that Twilight Zone! there was another where there was table-top devil fortune teller machine he was also in... both pretty cool.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Denny Crane: "... Bringing the fixture down upon Mary Flaherty's... head. Killing her. Irreparably." 

"Pray For the Wildcats:" A group of weekend motorcycle enthusiasts including Robert Reed, Wm. Shatner, and Andy Griffith run into trouble on a trek through the desert. Shatner plays it low key, and his reactions to the increasingly wild and villainous Griffith are very much those of a guy way in over his head.

"Judgment At Nuremburg:" 

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
He's not onscreen for long, and he reportedly managed to irritate Spencer Tracy into no longer speaking with him by asking him how he was able to remember all of his lines... but he does have the line that sells us on the idea that Americans were not going to be welcome in Germany for quite some time to come. "That's... one you owe me..." he says at the end to the judge who pronounced the whole of Germany guilty of knowingly going along with the Nazis, and deliberately ignoring the horrors taking place in their daily lives. The verdict costs Shatner's character a budding romance he was conducting with a German girl. It's a small moment, but little things mean a lot.

The opening scene to "Where No Man Has Gone Before:" In his first few moments onscreen as Kirk, Shatner is able to balance concern, curiosity, humor, and convincingly beat Spock at chess before immediately switching into high gear when the alert sounds. I buy him as Captain from the first scene, and moreover, I like him. He's good over the rest of the episode as well. Shatner makes quite the first impression. 

"Wrath of Khan:" Lots of scenes come to mind, but Kirk's getting to his feet in the Genesis Cave and contacting Spock to have the party beamed aboard the repaired Enterprise is a fun, triumphant moment, coming as it does on the end of the story of his victory as a cadet in the Kobiyashi Maru scenario. We realize that his earlier shouting at Khan was at least in part for effect and we're glad our heroes aren't trapped as we feared. Kirk and Spock were that far ahead of the opposition. Shatner sells all of it, all at once. Yeah, yeah, CinemaSins doesn't like it when people eat apples. Screw 'em, buncha' sad sack wannabes desperate for a recurring joke... Moments like these are why Shatner's critics can't lay a glove on him.

Edited by Brian Hague on 05 August 2018 at 2:13am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Wrath of Khan:" Lots of scenes come to mind, but Kirk's getting to his feet in the Genesis Cave and contacting Spock to have the party beamed aboard the repaired Enterprise is a fun, triumphant moment, coming as it does on the end of the story of his victory as a cadet in the Kobiyashi Maru scenario. We realize that his earlier shouting at Khan was at least in part for effect and we're glad our heroes aren't trapped as we feared. Kirk and Spock were that far ahead of the opposition. Shatner sells all of it, all at once. Yeah, yeah, CinemaSins doesn't like it when people eat apples. Screw 'em, buncha' sad sack wannabes desperate for a recurring joke... Moments like these are why Shatner's critics can't lay a glove on him.
++++++++

One of Kirk’s best badass moments, for sure. He utters the line, “I don’t like to lose” with a certain schoolboy arrogance, as Nick Meyer points out on the DVD audio commentary. What’s remarkable is that Meyer put it in there deliberately, so as to emphasis Kirk’s bravado later being deflated in the aftermath of Spock’s death. He pats himself on the back for being so clever...and then he ends up losing his best friend, which leads to his moment of self-reflection with David at the end of the movie.

In the hands of a lesser writer/director, it might come across as a snarky way of taking the character down a peg. Instead, it comes across as touching and meaningful. 

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Off the top of my head. No particular order.

-"risk is our business."
-"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most human." 
-"Get a life" SNL
-At the very end of one of his many autobiographical books he asks, "Do I wear a toupee?" or something like that. And then never answers it.
-"Let's get the hell out of here." 

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The opening scene to "Where No Man Has Gone Before:" In his first few moments onscreen as Kirk, Shatner is able to balance concern, curiosity, humor, and convincingly beat Spock at chess before immediately switching into high gear when the alert sounds. I buy him as Captain from the first scene, and moreover, I like him. He's good over the rest of the episode as well. Shatner makes quite the first impression.
I read an interesting observation that each of the Trek characters seems a little off in their first appearance, and it takes a few episodes for the actors to figure out how to play their parts.

Except Shatner as Kirk.  He IS Kirk from the first moment we see him in Where No Man Has Gon Before.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Except Shatner as Kirk.  He IS Kirk from the first moment we see him in Where No Man Has Gon Before.  
++++++

Absolutely. Perfect marriage of actor and character. It’s all there in that first scene. The humor, the charisma, the intelligence, the authority.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One of my favorite Shatner moments comes in Star Trek III when he reacts to David being killed. The way he stumbles back when processing the information is superb. You feel the hit he takes in that moment.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Number one for me has to be his cover of "Common People" with Joe Jackson on the "Has Been" album. A high-water mark for both Shatner and Jackson, in my opinion.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One of my favorites is Shatner comically schooling a director who made the mistake of trying to tell him how to read an ad.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2018 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This could be another one... a Christmas Album, Shatner Claus, is coming soon...
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/973013-william-shatners-ch ristmas-album-shatner-claus-is-coming-this-fall
Lots of amazing guests on it anyway. Yule be sorry if you miss-tletoe it?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 26 August 2018 at 10:25pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

We realize that his earlier shouting at Khan was at least in part for effect and we're glad our heroes aren't trapped as we feared. Kirk and Spock were that far ahead of the opposition.

It's a multi-level performance. Shatner is acting as Kirk who is doing acting of his own. 

The anger and yelling at Khan, part real, partly to throw him off the trail. 

"Khan...I'm laughing at the 'superior intellect!'", which just gets him to do what Kirk wanted. 

Even the "I don't like to lose!" seems partly for the benefit of the stranded party, translating into "We're gonna be ok."  Specifically, for David, "Your dad's not such a schmuck."

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 27 August 2018 at 10:17am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2018 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"Death has little meaning to us. If it has none to you, then attack us now. We grow annoyed at your foolishness." 

Shatner's ability to act as Kirk acting is one of the delights of that character. 

He did something similar as a guest murderer on Columbo, playing an actor who portrays a foppish detective on television. The strange way in which his character slides in and out of his "Detective Lucerne" persona is a genuine pleasure to watch, and clearly a great deal of fun for Columbo to play against as he coaxes and encourages him to comment on events and see them from Lucerne's perspective. 

You can also watch him do it as Denny Crane in those moments when Denny himself realizes he isn't on his game, but carries on with the bluster and swagger nonetheless, hoping to still intimidate his opponents and win the jury. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version