Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Patrick Stewart To Star In New ‘Star Trek’ Series As Jean-Luc Picard Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

STAR TREK -- THE VOYAGE TO THE HOME.....

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Intrigued!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There are rumours that this will be an animated series, and hence 78 year old Patrick will only be providing his very impressive voice.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have zero confidence in the people currently running things. Also, you can't go home again, "never give fans what they think they want", etc.

Sometimes it's better to leave these things alone. We'll see, though.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sometimes it's better to leave these things alone. We'll see, though.

Have to agree on this one, especially on this day and age.

Continuations and reboots are a big trend these days but rarely do the new seasons or incarnations live up to the original version.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 04 August 2018 at 5:45pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, I'm willing to give this a look only because it isn't a TNG reboot.  If this is Jean-Luc Picard, Federation Ambassador and its basically a character piece about his later life, mediating disputes and conflicts, that could be an interesting show.  Each season could be a different plotline, they could deal with social issues and the like.  I'd watch that.

If it turns into TNG-guest-star-of-the-week then I will quickly lose interest.  In fact, I will probably punch out the second Q turns up.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There are still Next Generation episodes I haven't seen, but I'd be curious to at least give this a try. He was the voice of Bambi's father in the animated sequel to that so I have to have some respect! :^)

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One of the ideas being kicked around and possibly connected to this is a series set at Starfleet Academy. Perhaps Picard will be the headmaster or a teacher? That would make more sense than having an elderly Picard running around fighting Romulans or whatever.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am intrigued by this.  Animated does make the most sense though.

But, wait a sec, there was a sequel to BAMBI?!?!?

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The above ideas for Starfleet Academy and/or an ambassadorship are exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping for. It would be so nice to spend some time with Picard, and to see how time has changed him.

Way I see it, worst case scenario it turns out like the X-Files. There were some clunkers, but there were also some beautiful moments between actors and characters that only worked because of decades of history.

And frankly, how could it be a worse coda to a good series than a poorly-received set of movies where they blow the ship up?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

But, wait a sec, there was a sequel to BAMBI?!?!
Bambi 2: Bambi's Revenge

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Bambi Meets Godzilla

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

This is something I would definitely watch if it weren't on CBS All Access. There's no way I'm paying for a subscription to a channel I'm already paying for.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Christopher Frost: One of the ideas being kicked around and possibly connected to this is a series set at Starfleet Academy. Perhaps Picard will be the headmaster or a teacher? That would make more sense than having an elderly Picard running around fighting Romulans or whatever.

Sounds like a TNG version of The Paper Chase.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_BGDBasnA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This is something I would definitely watch if it weren't on CBS All Access. There's no way I'm paying for a subscription to a channel I'm already paying for.

--

You don't have to pay for a subscription. When the season is available, you can pay for one month, watch the whole thing, and cancel afterward.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

There's no way this is going to be an animated series. I do think it's notable that this is being promoted as a Picard series and not a revival of TNG. As I speculated in an earlier thread when this rumor was first announced, he very well could still be Captain of the Enterprise (Kirk did advise him to basically stay in that job for as long as he could), with an entirely new crew by now (as the others have been promoted elsewhere or retired). But now they're telling the stories specifically from Picard's POV, so he's the star with the others as supporting characters, as opposed to an ensemble show. That's a different approach than what we've seen before. I speculated a premise of perhaps he is finally being forced out by Starfleet, and the series could be showing his final "tour of duty" in space, with appearances from both old friends and enemies, as he struggles to accept his coming retirement. I think something like that could work, and while Sir Patrick is older, he's in relatively good shape, able to carry a series (am I the only one who was watching Blunt Talk a couple of years ago?).

Or it could be some other premise. I know in the non-canon comics, Picard eventually became a Federation Ambassador, that could be interesting as series. Whatever it is, I'm going to have to check it out (sorry, but I grew up on TNG, that will always be "my" Star Trek), so yeah I'll have to do what I've avoided so far, and subscribe to that CBS streaming channel, when it's on.

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 09 August 2018 at 2:55pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It seems, to me, to be a rather wholehearted attempt to get back viewers of TOS and TNG* after all the machinations and miscues with the new productions. Because after Jar Jar Abrams Star Trek endeavors, I'm not entirely sure I see how that universe, in 100 years, allows creation of the Enterprise-D and crew as we recognize them.

But consider that cast...
Worf and O'Brien are stationed on DS-9.
Tasha and Data are dead. (A malfunctioning andriod has replaced Data, but we can simply say it stopped working.)
Riker and Troi are married and on the USS Titan.
Wesley Crusher is off Dog knows where doing Dog knows what with the Traveler.

So the remaining reappearing crew are Beverly Crusher, Geordi LaForge, and Reg Barclay.

Who else?

Captain Sisko is probably gallivanting around with Wesley Crusher somewhere, via the Celestial Temple.

Captain Janeway died in the novel "Before Dishonor", which has been cited as canon. Even if Lady Q brought her back... she's a little busy to get involved in this series.

Thomas Riker is in a Cardassian Labor camp.

His path seems pretty clear if we dispense with his relationship with Dr. Crusher (which did dissolve per "All Good Things..."). 

Maybe the idea of a slightly older Picard will work, as the captain of the Enterprise-F with an entirely new crew. Or (throwing up in my mouth slightly), perhaps this IS the Picard from the Abrams-verse who just happens to exactly duplicate the real Picard.

If I can watch it for free, I reckon I'll give it a shot or two.

*And TAS if you like.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLl17YXrAZY

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

>Captain Janeway died in the novel "Before Dishonor", which has been cited as canon

I think CBS has not gone back on its rule that everything Star Trek that is not show on the screen is non canon.
So please add a source before you bring up something like this.

As for bringing Picard back, I am a fan of TNG as that is how I got into Star Trek but I do not think what gained that show so many fans can just be recreated again by bringing back an actor who played a beloved character.

It would have been better if the TNG crew had been given a decent send off like the Original Series crew did in Star Trek 6, or perhaps just leave it with "All Good Things" despite that I like the Enterprise E and enjoyed First Contact when I saw it more than twenty years ago.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Thanks for the last video Greg, it has a lot of info that seems legit, let's how this plays out. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2018 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I'd rather see a series with a lower ranking character now commanding a ship. Maybe Harry Kim, from VOYAGER.

But it's all moot, since it is CBS All Access we're talking about. Won't subscribe.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I had kind of a weird premonition today that this series isn't what we all think it's going to be.

Patrick Stewart commands a pretty hefty salary these days to just be seen scratching his nose.   So is it going to be Stewart and a bunch of lower paid unknowns in an elevator? (ok I'm being a bit extreme here, but you get the point).   Stewart may very well take a pay cut for the good of the franchise... something not entirely unheard of in entertainment.   

So my premonition is thus:  We indeed get a live action STAR TREK series with Picard but something more akin to the YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES, with another actor as a younger Picard in pre-TNG flashbacks and Stewart as 'Old Picard' making an appearance to bookend things.   

Either that or they (ugh) somehow manage to shoehorn a time travelling Picard into the DISCOVERY timeframe.

The real kicker to all this is the slap in the face to Michael Dorn who has been campaigning to have a Worf series for the last fifteen years or so.   IMO Paramount/CBS had the solution to their STAR TREK woes right under their nose all this time, and it wouldn't have involved turning it into popcorn STAR WARS or the current poop cake with SJW frosting.   A Klingon series centered around Worf was really where things should have gone post-DS9.   Hell, I would have watched it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Marten, I believe I read it on Peter David's blog that he had approval from Paramount to make Captain Janeway's death canon. But I don't have the reference in front of me, so feel free to ignore my comment; my memory ain't what it used to be anyhow.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version