Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Patrick Stewart To Star In New ‘Star Trek’ Series As Jean-Luc Picard Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yep, definitely feeling it now.

I'm about 98.77% sure they've dusted off Stewart to lure us into accepting a Kelvin timeline version of Picard or some godawful hybrid mashup of the two universes.  

This is not your old tube TV's Picard.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

So my premonition is thus:  We indeed get a live action STAR TREK series with Picard but something more akin to the YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES, with another actor as a younger Picard in pre-TNG flashbacks and Stewart as 'Old Picard' making an appearance to bookend things.   

I think Tom Hardy's salary demands might also make this difficult.  >wink<
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

From my understanding regarding “canon” and the licensed material, Star Trek is not quite as strict as Lucasfilm is with their licensed material since they were bought by Disney. The Star Trek novels have built-up and maintained a focused Prime Universe post-Nemesis line, where all the various books, be they focused on the TNG, Voyager, or DS9 characters, or various crossovers, continue in an ongoing timeline in a shared universe. So Peter David would have had to have gotten direct permission to kill off a major character like Janeway, because all other writers going forward would be unable to use Janeway (outside of flashbacks, tales set before her death, clones, etc.), because she is now dead in the ongoing Star Trek novel universe.

However I don’t think that the people in charge of the TV or film rights are forced to adhere to the books. Meaning if this new Picard-centric show wants to have Janeway appear on it, and Kate Mulgrew is open to it, or if they wanted to do some other show with Mulgrew as Janeway, I don’t they’ll be stopped from using her, because they have to follow the “canon” of the novels which, comparatively speaking to the audience of the films and TV shows, were read by a small percentage of Star Trek fans.

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 15 August 2018 at 2:06pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Speaking from the inside, Paramount has long maintained that only what they produce is "real" (and not all of that!), and anything else is basically high end fanfic. Were this not the case, I would not have been able to use Kor and Koloth, as they were most efficiently taken out of the loop by James Blish in SPOCK MUST DIE.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

because she is now dead in the ongoing Star Trek novel universe.

And has been brought back to life or has been revealed to be alive despite apparently dying in that Peter David book.

There are some very good Star Trek books (and comics of course), but there is also a load of terrible and average stuff I really think should not be part of canon.
I don't like that the good stuff is not official (but that varies per taste) but I am glad that the bad stuff isn't either.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 15 August 2018 at 2:29pm

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No kidding? They brought her back? Well, there you go then.

I mostly got and read the books that featured The Borg, including the one in which Janeway was assimilated and then killed (which I hated, it was a terrible way for her to go out, so I don't mind that they undid that), but the last ones I got were the 3-book Destiny trilogy, with the "final" battle against The Borg. So I haven't followed the line, since then, and thus am unaware of the current status of the various characters.

I also have the so-called "Shatnerverse" books, which I mostly enjoy. I've noted that Shatner (and his "co-writers" the Reeves-Stevens') seems to make an effort to write the stories around "official" events of the films and TV series*, including references to the events of First Contact, and the Dominion War, explaining where Kirk was during that time, so they can fit if you want them to, although none of the prime novels ever make reference to Kirk still being alive in the 24th century.

*With the exception being his last book, where he wrote his own version of Kirk and Spock first meeting in the Academy. That was the one was deliberately listed as "non-canon."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version