Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek: Picard Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
Looks like it’s going to have everyone from TNG except for the one guy who has wanted his character to have a show for the past 20 years.

The real kick in the teeth will be if they ask Dwight Schultz or that nameless guy who is always cast as a Romulan or Vulcan in the background...

I'm sure they will throw Michael a bone.

(in season 2 :-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I liked this trailer more.   It's leaning hard on the goodwill of TNG but Patrick Stewart's humanity is starting to win me over and if you're going to go big, go Borg (and 7/9 and Data and what sounds like a lot of others). Sounds like I'll try the free month and sample the series along with THE GOOD FIGHT (which I've wanted to watch anyway).  STD not so much.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jim Muir wrote:
I was really hoping that PICARD might go off in some bold, new directions and explore uncharted territory - really take the opportunity to do something a bit different. But seeing it has Data, Seven, the Borg, Troi, Riker and Geordi, it feels more like TNG's Greatest Hits.

I'm getting the feeling the cameos are meant to be a little bit of TNG glue to hook more people.  Once we get past the 'what happened to character X in the last 20 years' I think the show will have it's own voice and flavour.

More "Echos and shadows of TNG" rather than "TNG's Greatest Hits".

One aspect of TNG that I think will be expanded upon in this series is the 'crusty old corrupt Starfleet Admiral' trope.   They are going to take what were usually one-off villians-of-the-week, dust them off and mould them to a serial format making them more cunning, more devious, and more twisted -- far beyond anything any previous STAR TREK series has done (and that includes DS9's political shenanigans).   New STAR TREK is all about showing how there are no perfect Edens, that everything is tarnished and tainted in some way and that blind belief in a 'perfect' society and Federation ideals is almost an extremist religion.  

This isn't going to be polite diplomat Picard, quoting regulations and wincing at being trapped in an elevator with a bunch of kids...

Oh no, this is "THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!!" Picard, pissed off and ready to give smug Starfleet a poke in the eye to wake it up.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 26 July 2019 at 11:18pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2019 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have this terrible feeling that the trailer is setting up a great many interesting premises and scenarios, which will entice viewers, scenes in which Picard falls out with the current Starfleet regime will seem somewhat edgy, and then once we get aboard the ragtag ship of misfit pirates and Picard says, "Engage!" we will right back to business as usual in the 24th century and I won't be able to stay awake for it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rick Senger wrote:
STD not so much.

Don't give the series such short shrift without so much as seeing an episode.  Give it a try. If you like elements of the first season, stick it out to the second where it blossoms.  Pike is a revelation and well worth investing the short 13 episodes to get to his appearance, wherein he plays a major role throughout.  

In other words, screw the naysayers and dive in.  You're going to subscribe to it for free for a month after all. You've got nothing to lose.  Form your own opinion rather than let it be shaped by the critiques of others. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I really want to see this, but I can't afford to sign up for another streaming service. Hopefully it makes it to Blu-Ray some day. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I really want to see this, but I can't afford to sign up for another streaming service. Hopefully it makes it to Blu-Ray some day. 

——

Waiting for all the episodes to come out and binging them within a month costs $6 or $10. A Blu-Ray is much more expensive than that. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Don't give the series such short shrift without so much as seeing an episode.  Give it a try. If you like elements of the first season, stick it out to the second where it blossoms. 
Was excited by a new Trek series but found the premiere to have lavish production value but nothing very Treklike or interesting.  I have friends who kept watching and nobody was very enthusiastic about S1 (I watched another ep at a friend's house and still found it not for me.)  I have enough stuff I actually want to watch that S1 holds no interest.

Pike is a revelation and well worth investing the short 13 episodes to get to his appearance, wherein he plays a major role throughout.  
Heard it improves some in season two and was considering sampling an episode from S2 but it sounds like you're saying slogging through season one is a prerequisite to following season two, which makes me less interested.

Form your own opinion rather than let it be shaped by the critiques of others.
Two episodes is enough to form an opinion.  I have no interest in S1 and I'm not going to invest 13 hours in something bad in the hopes that it might lead to something more palatable.  If S3 gets raves, that might make me reconsider.

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

——

Waiting for all the episodes to come out and binging them within a month costs $6 or $10. A Blu-Ray is much more expensive than that. 

You're right, Michael. Good Point.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rick Senger wrote:
Two episodes is enough to form an opinion.  I have no interest in S1 and I'm not going to invest 13 hours in something bad in the hopes that it might lead to something more palatable.  If S3 gets raves, that might make me reconsider.

Fair enough. I was richly rewarded by sticking with the series and am now looking forward to new adventures. Different strokes.  

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

PICARD is certainly shaping up to be interesting now that Jonathan Del Arco (Hugh) has been confirmed to appear.  

The show seems to be coming together well and the producers seem to know where they want to focus and what they want to accomplish, in contrast to other series where two seasons in they still seem to be throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.   

In short, it feels like PICARD is the show they always wanted to make and the show that people wanted to be watching.

Some intriguing possible story threads preset themselves:

*Borg survivors and deactivated/quarrantined Borg themselves may be treated as second class citizens or as refugees, even within the 'everyone's equal' Federation.

*It looks from the trailer that Borg were possibly being experimented upon or exploited as living weapons.   I think there's a high probability the young woman protagonist who seeks out Picard is one such weapon who is on the run.  Shades of the ethical debates in TNG ("I, Borg") about using Hugh in the same manner.

*It seems the majority of the regular cast are Romulan or of mixed Romulan heritage.   PICARD stands to do for the Romulans what TNG did for our perception of the Klingons.   Almost all of the Romulans we've seen to this point have been officials and military and we've never seen the 'average Romulan on the street' point of view.   It doesn't look like any of Picard's crew are fond of high-elbow-pad uniforms...

*I think it'll be hard to avoid touching on the rather obvious parallels between North/South Korea and Romulus/Vulcan, perhaps moreso in 2020 than when the concept of the split worlds was thought up in the 1960's.

*There's also the possibility of Romulan refugees fleeing to the Federation after the events described in STAR TREK (2009), which puts them in a plight similar to that of the Borg.

*I think it's inevitable that Starfleet and the Federation will take on a more paranoid and militaristic stance in the subsequent decades.   It was only due to the threat of the Borg that Starfleet began development of advanced ships and weaponry in time to coincidentally go toe-to-toe with the Dominion.   They got lucky, and I'm sure that fact is not lost on the higher-ups.   The potential threat of something worse than the Borg and Dominion will always be looming and will dictate Starfleet policy towards more offensive technologies.

*Ironically, I think the Federation will begin to act and react in ways that the Romulans of the past were accused of by the Federation themselves.   Romulans (or at least their leaders) tended to think of the worst things their enemies (or percieved enemies) could do to them, and then go ahead do those things to their enemies covertly first.   Expect a very secretive Federation that relies on shady operatives like Section 31 to "keep the world safe from the nameless Boogeymen". 

*In TNG they were actively trying to prevent Data being legally deactivated and disassembled for study, presumably to figure out how to make more positronic androids.   Well, 'Data' has technically been disassembled for nearly 20 years and I bet that someone has already figured out ways to replicate positronic brains en masse.  We've dealt with the implications of slavery and second-class citizenship of holograms in VOYAGER and I'm sure this will be even more of an issue with Data.  Interestingly, Robert Picardo says he has been approcahed to appear in PICARD at some point (likely second season).

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 09 August 2019 at 10:01pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In short, it feels like PICARD is the show they always wanted to make and the show that people wanted to be watching
------------------------------------------------------------ --------
 I genuinely don't know how you are gauging the second part of this. This feels like the show that people wanted to be watching? Do you mean this feels like the show YOU wanted to be watching? If so ,why not say this? If not, what are you talking about and how are you measuring this?

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version