Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 18
Topic: Star Trek: Picard ~ Season 1 SPOILERS begin pg 13 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2020 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There is indeed precedent.  Bones “swore” all the time.   “Damn” usually, but to some people that is indeed swearing.  Or is that your point, that the show should conform to your standards?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2020 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A question occurred to me with this episode. Nothing major,
just some random fanboy thoughts:

Rios' EMH rattles off highlights of Picard's career ending
with the fact that he "worked with the great Spock". I'll
assume that in the Prime universe, people who know of Spock
think he's missing or even presumed dead per the events
that drew him into the Kelvin timeline. But what what about
Kirk? Is anyone outside of Starfleet aware of his return
from the Nexus and his helping Picard save Veridian III or
do people still think he died saving the Enterprise-B
100some years ago?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2020 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The vaping threw me off more than any swearing.

As for Kirk, Picard was always more of a buy the book type who would have
made a log of the events of Generations I would imagine it was reported to the
general public at some point by Starfleet.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2020 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mike Benson wrote, "There is indeed precedent.  Bones “swore” all the time.   “Damn” usually, but to some people that is indeed swearing.  Or is that your point, that the show should conform to your standards?"

McCoy only swore in the movies and mildly at that. It's dishonest to imply he did so "all the time" during the series. There are only two instances of anyone swearing in TOS and you have to stretch the definition to include the second. ("Let's get the hell out of here," and "You can't damn him for his loyalty." That's it.) Even in the films, it is considered anachronistic and in poor taste to swear.

Next Gen did not swear overly much, once again until we get to the movies when it became a cutsie-pie note to strike whenever it seemed funny to do so. "Oh, look, Data's swearing! That's so adorable!" 

But hey, we swear all the time here in the 21st century, so let's bring those well-spoken, well-trained officers of Starfleet down to a level we can relate to! Who the hell did they think they were anyway? We'll show 'em! 

Edited by Brian Hague on 09 February 2020 at 10:03pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"The fucking line must be fucking drawn here! Here! And not one fucking inch further!"

"He tasks me! He fucking tasks me! And I shall have the fuck out of him! I'll chase him 'round the fucking moons of Nibia, and 'round the fucking Antares Maelstrom, and 'round Perditian's Fucking Flames before I give him up!!" 

"Space. The final fucking frontier...."

Yeah. Those all sound fine to me. Bring it on. More and more. That is exactly what Star Trek should sound like.

Edited by Brian Hague on 09 February 2020 at 10:10pm

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't support swearing in Star Trek, but Brian's redo of Khan had me laughing.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2020 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The swearing doesn't bother me in the least.

With that said, PICARD is getting better with each episode.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I agree, Kevin - each episode makes me glad they went in
this direction.

And I think the vaping is used well here. Raffi is
drinking and smoking not to look cool or evoke a fad, but
to indicate addiction and depression. It seems pretty
clear in the context of the show and it gives their
interaction the tragic weight of their past.

And it was great to see Hugh - the whole Borg story is
really a great direction.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Last weeks episode was kind of middling, IMO   Not terrible by any means but not amazing either.   You are bound to have some 'glue' episodes.   

As one friend of mine remarked, "Ok, it's time to get out of the Shire and get moving", and he's got a point -- we're 3/10 episodes and we just got a ship and into space!!   At the same time I do appreciate when a STAR TREK story is allowed to breathe a bit and not be constrained by the usual factors (one or two part TV episodes, or do-or-die feature films).   I'm content to wait and see where they are going with things at the pace they want to tell it rather than conform to outside pressure.   Seems obvious now we were always going to get at least 20 episodes.

I've been rewatching some select TNG episodes and films lately just to see how things fit in -- some of these I haven't seen in probably 20 years.   Beyond the obvious "Best of Both Worlds", "I, Borg", and "Descent" there's a lot of interesting background info about Picard that takes on new meaning in light of the new series.

We've never seen Picard overtly use his clout and fame within Starfleet to influence Federation politics before.  He threatened to walk away from Starfleet if he didn't get his way and the Federation council called his bluff.   This is in sharp contrast to episodes like "Family" where he's reluctant to embrace the role of the returning hero with the requisite statues and parades.   In "Tapestry" Q taunts the play-it-safe timeline version of Picard who "never got noticed by anyone, ever" and you can see just how much it pains Picard to be a nobody.   Yet, when Picard quit Starfleet (and in the process ruined several careers, including his own) he retreated into a secluded and quiet life similar in many ways to the one Q showed him.   Most notably, the alternate future Picard seen in "All Good Things" became an Ambassador and tried to effect change rather than join the ranks of the increasingly corrupt and idle-handed Admirality that seems to have plauged Starfleet for centuries.

In PICARD we see a man who now has regrets for the past 15 years of his life.   "Tapestry" on the other hand showed us a Picard that didn't regret losing a vital organ if it meant standing up for his friends.   Coming to terms with that dichotomy is the real meat of the new series, IMO.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 13 February 2020 at 8:30am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 18
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version