Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Patrick Stewart To Star In New ‘Star Trek’ Series As Jean-Luc Picard Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
Far be it for me to intertwine discussions of Trek series in a way that, shockingly, you have throughout this forum, Rob.  Wow.  Forgive me for doing what you've done in basically every Trek thread. 

Basically Every Trek thread.

Yeah, OK.   This, coming from the guy who picks apart the minutae of someone's else's wording.   Hyperbole, it's catching.   Care to show me examples of this in every Trek thread I've participated in?   Perhaps we should keep this to PM so you don't end up demonstrating the exact thing you are accusing me of?

...and "I think everyone else is doing it, so I should be able to as well" doesn't really wash when you have the power to not only prune the discussions here to your liking but also silence those you don't agree with.   Should we not hold your behavior to at least a higher standard?   Yep, this is a private forum and not a democracy, I get that.   But you could at least be civil, or just be brutal and ban me if it bothers you so much.  

QUOTE:
THAT'S my problem with your posts, Rob.  You speak as if you are the authority and anyone that disagrees with you doesn't understand the "true essence" of ST.

No.  That's your interpretation and one that you keep repeating.   You are also doing the same things from your end, stating your opinions as fact.   We can at least agree to disagree on our interpretations of what good STAR TREK is, can't we?

Again, I'm going to ask why do you insist on turning this into a DISCOVERY thread?   We should either move this discussion to that thread or hash this out in PM.   I'm willing to discuss this like adults in private so as not to bother anyone else.   

I'm serious.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Can’t we all just agree that Jeri Ryan is still lovely?
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
Can’t we all just agree that Jeri Ryan is still lovely?

Absolutely.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rob Ocelot wrote:
...and "I think everyone else is doing it, so I should be able to as well" doesn't really wash when you have the power to not only prune the discussions here to your liking but also silence those you don't agree with.   Should we not hold your behavior to at least a higher standard?   Yep, this is a private forum and not a democracy, I get that.   But you could at least be civil, or just be brutal and ban me if it bothers you so much.  

Show me where I've done that...EVER...and then you'd have a point.  Otherwise, stop playing the "phantom victim" and just, I don't know, debate your point.  Stop pretending that there's a "threat" of "pruning" or outright "banning" from me that has, quite frankly, never been the case. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2019 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

New trailer here.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nice.   

Liked the new trailer a lot.   I can't believe it's only 4 months away now.

What I find interesting is they opted not to shoot PICARD at Pinewood in Toronto, which gives some significant savings for TV and film productions -- especially effects heavy SciFi.   Not only is the CAN dollar favorable for the US right now but Ontario also grants tax credits to attract outisde productions.   DISCOVERY's production benefits immensely from this arrangement so it's a bit of a head scratcher that they aren't sharing facilities (sets and post production) with another show (perhaps they are and we haven't heard about it yet -- maybe it's SECTION 31).   PICARD is being shot in California, which can't be cheap, and it looks to have a fairly effects heavy budget not to mention significant star salaries for Stewart (and other big ticket TNG guest stars).   

Somebody's sure fronting a lot of cash for this show!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2019 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The nostalgia card is being heavily played and it's working on me.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I envy you guys. I wish I had a new STAR TREK series to which I could look forward.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not a TNG-era fan, Chief?

I know you tried to slog through Voyager a while back.  Dunno how far you got but my hat's off to you for even trying.   I can't stomach VOY for more than a few episodes before I want to throw stuff at the TV.   DS9 OTOH was far more palatable and IMO probably the best Star Trek to come out of that era, with the exception of ST:VI.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 October 2019 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

You’re projecting. Altho VOYAGER did not prove a series into which I could dive, a la TOS, I still think it’s the most STAR TREK of the later STAR TREKs.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2019 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I loved TNG, but my interest in this has steadily decreased with each passing reveal. I was over the moon to see they were making a PICARD spin off, but the subtle nods and winks to the past we were promised appear to have become Star Trek's Greatest Hits.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There's a fine line between suble nods and winks and STGH though.

I wouldn't write it off just yet based on those previews.  Like film trailers they serve a specific purpose and their editing may be skewed towards attracting a wider audience other than their primary demographic.   I fully expected it would be presented as 'TNG 2' in promos.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version