Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Do fanboys dream of electric peeps? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Doug, that sounds like what I was describing, that a single viewing has an effect, but the longer you go into a subject, the more it loses its strength to affect you in a dream.  Unless you take a break from it for a while and go back to it later.  That dream of yours could have been a scene in a movie.

My brother had a nightmare about the Hulk in NYC I think.  Nothing specific happening, just how horrifying the size and sound of him stomping through the city would be realistically.  The Hulk seems to have had that affect on several people here in dreams.

After watching the Transformers animated movie as a child, the enormous, planet sized Unicron freaked me out.  He was the scariest animated thing I'd ever seen.  And Orson Welles's deep voice completed the terror.  So I remember a nightmare about Unicron transforming from a planet to a robot years later.  It was brief, but I heard the sound of his voice growling or something and combined with his size, it was enough to wake me up right away before the dream went anywhere.  People have criticized that it's a shame Welles's last role was in an animated children's action movie, but I thought his rich, booming voice was brilliant for this transforming planet, and fitting for the guy who went from the War of the Worlds radio broadcast to this movie about warring giant machines.  If you listen to a clip of his voice acting for it, he sounds perfect for an animated Galactus too.

Giant sized creatures always scare the hell out of me.  I couldn't watch the scenes in Fraggle Rock with the Gorgs.  They made me dizzy just looking at their size from the point of view of the small Fraggles.  Another character that freaked me out was a wrestler called Giant Gonzalez.  Even if you don't care about wrestling, look at a clip of him standing next to The Undertaker.  It's unreal that a man with Gonzalez's height and dimensions existed.  Undertaker is an over 6 foot tall, probably close to a 300 pound man, but seeing Giant Gonzalez with his proportions walking up to him was unreal.  Especially with that cave man costume.  As an adult it might look cheesy, but he looked creepy to me as a child.  Like some freakish bigfoot/man hybrid.  That scene between them looked like a cartoon come to life.

Edited by Mason Meomartini on 16 August 2018 at 1:57pm
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Another thing that I find interesting about dreams is
that your mind is creating stuff that you are not
aware of yet. Or it does it so fast, that you are
surprised.

One example is I was hiding out in a building and
someone was coming, I didn't want to be spotted. There
were two doors I could go through and I had no idea
what was on the other side. What did my mind decide to
put there?

Door 1 was an elevator shaft, if I stepped in I would
fall to my death.

Door 2 was a group of people sitting around a table
with birthday hats on, and a cake on the table, they
all looked up at me as if I was someone showing up for
the party. The lighting was colorful and orange tent.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You had a Choose Your Own Adventure dream there.

This is an interesting thing about dreams, the speed at which it weaves unusual sequences of events.  This is what makes dreams from people who don't do any creative writing or ever think about doing anything creative as imaginative and unusual as any fictional stories by professional writers.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have for years had this memory.  I can visually recall an episode of TOS in which Khan had Kirk and Enterprise back to Celti Alpha V to show the progress of the colonization.  I have only passing familiarity w TOS having seen the hits as child but not every episode.  I have seen all of the movies ST:II being the first I ever saw.  So I decide recently to work my way thru TOS. My first time seeing Balance of Terror (fucking amazing) so I go watch Trouble w Tribbles, another episode another, some I remember some I don't and then Space Seed and after I start looking for this sequel to Space Seed.  That I know I have seen.  Only it doesn't exist.  Check websites go thru episode listings...it doesn't exist.  I can only conclude that as a child somehow someway I dreamt it and it has stuck to me as a memory.  Which is really odd because again TOS was something I only had a passing relationship with as a child.  

The dream:

Khan standing in front of an exterior wall with floor to ceiling type windows standing proud as Kirk and the landing party (Spock and Mc Coy maybe Scotty w two random officers ) look on thru the windows as Khan positively raving about the crops the successes they have had the buildings etc as Kirk is proud as well of the accomplishments Spock is more intrigued like detective trying to solve something and has a look of concern but says nothing a raised eyebrow to Kirk 

I have no idea what happens between that and 

at the end of the memory Khan is imprisoned and left there alone (there was somehow he had access to food in Kirk's speech to him thru the prison door explained how which I can still see but can't recall the speech or Khan's crime) then Enterprise left w the rest of the survivors.  

Now after writing thru this I can recall being confused seeing Wrath of Khan the first time as to why there other survivors besides Khan on Celti Alpha V which means this memory/dream would have been planted before Wrath was released on VHS? Or maybe the early years of HBO? 

I wouldn't have seen ST:II in the theater like I said the whole thing is rather weird.

Edited by John Harrison on 18 August 2018 at 3:03pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I had the strangest dream a few years ago...i wake up
for work to find large boulders bloking my drive,
which means i can`t get my car out of the garage,
coincidentally, my wife has a couple of her workmates
sleeping over, and they`re hogging the bathroom! I
look out the window to see a large sinkhole has opened
up in the street, swallowing cars, also there is a