Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Do fanboys dream of electric peeps? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

When I used to follow a couple of British soap operas regularly I found characters and places from them showing up in my dreams. When i read a lot of comic books I can't remember if I had anything from them showing up in my dreams other than buying or reading comics in my dream. You'd think you'd get all kinds of great dreams if you read them regularly; elves riding on wolves and people flying, being able to beat up baddies in your life. About the closest I got to any of that was riding a bicycle really fast like the Flash in one dream, and grabbing someone by the ankles like Atom Ant and smashing them back and forth! :^) I don't even get the flying dreams however like even non-comic book readers seem to have.

I was wondering too if people working on a comic for a long time, fan or pro, have their characters ever communicate or appear in dreams?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 01 August 2018 at 7:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shortly after this comic came out, I had some sort of weird dream about it. Clearly, my subconscious wanted to deal with the bizarre play of colors taking place. The copy I had was much brighter than the example shown here. That bizarre pink-and-orange God's Eye pattern was seriously disorienting.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You can pass me some of those 'shrooms!

Just one decent X-Men dream I'd settle for. :^(

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I mostly read comics in bed before i turn in for the
night, sadly i have never had a dream related to what i
read! I HAVE had some really weird dreams though!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I remember having a dream as a kid where I woke up and the city had been evacuated without me because the Hulk and the Lizard were coming.  (Somehow, it was known that they were going to clash.)  It was very realistic and the sense of dread was palpable, even though I think the dream ended before any action started.

I had another dream where I was at home (sort of a square two-story duplex) and Validus was trying to get me through the windows.

I can't really call these nightmares because the were so interesting and exciting and sort of enjoyable!  Obviously, since they've stuck with me decades later.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Lou Ferrigno's Hulk appeared in a dream, but what was it about? Not sure. Dreams rarely are linear or make sense. ;-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Once, at a con back when I was working on X-MEN the first time, someone asked me if I ever dreamt about the characters. I said no, but then that very night I had a visit from the team. (It was, however, a Claremont dream. They were all out of costume.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I used to have a recurring dream (nightmare?) with the Lou Ferrigno Hulk chasing after me. I don’t know why. I specifically recall him chasing me throughout my aunt and uncle’s house. Don’t remember if it was there every time, tho. Lots of destruction every time. I had that dream a lot thru the years. Scared the bejezus outta me. 

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

After I had initially read Fantastic Four  Annual #17, I had gotten in a lengthy discussion with my friends about the Skrulls.  It really got me thinking about them and how they could infiltrate our society so easily.

That night I had a very vivid dream where I found out as a teenager that my family was actually all Skrull spies sent to earth when I was just a child.  My parents had done something to me so that I always maintained a human form.

I woke just as I started to transform back to my original skrull form.
I was sweating bucket when I woke from that.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Lots of different Hulk dreams! I guess that makes sense, especially the tv Hulk. There was an Outer Limits with ants that had human faces that gave me a memorable nightmare long ago... maybe I had guilt from stepping on an ant or something?

If they could ever package and sell X-Men or Dr. Strange dreams I'd start saving up for either. I thought those Star Trek holodecks were so wasted on the hardboiled detective scenarios or even Flash Gordon serials on Voyager.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

For literally decades, I have periodically had dreams in which I have the powers of Superman (sometimes even the costume), albeit in a kind of mild form -- I often struggle to get very high when I fly and my acceleration is very low. People can often grab my ankles before I can get away, but I am generally indestructible. I have this turn up in all sorts of dream-contexts, even sometimes in nightmares.

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2018 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Sometimes I dream that I enter one of those shops or isolated gas stations that never seem to have people in them, and have shelves with comics and magazines that has been standing there for years (And I have actually experienced that in real life. Where I grew up there was a grocery store which kept unsold comics on top of a shelf, and they were still there when I moved to the city. And one time my parents stopped in a small town where I found a comic published some years ago. Not a second hand store, but a normal store where the last issue had never been sold.)

These are issues and material I never knew existed. Imagine plenty of old X-Men from the time before Jean Grey became Dark Phoenix, lots of Hulk before he became The Professor, and several Kurt Swan Superman issues or Wolfman's and Colan's Dracula, and so on. All of it that was completely new to you. Those are the times when it saddens me to wake up and realize none of it was real.

I have also dreamt about comic book characters being around me in the flesh, but I don't remember what those dreams were all about.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version