Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9
Topic: Earth-8013 and 616 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Given where he went with them I'm continually thankful Moore didn't get to use The Blue Beetle, Nightshade (was that her name, impossible to find online), Captain Atom, Peacemaker, The Question etc.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't think it's a matter of only one way of being a fan is valid and the other isn't.  For some fans that cataloging and historical way of looking at fiction is part of the story or another kind of story in itself.  Maybe not as common as the taste for standard stories.  So I don't agree that comic fans or fiction fans in general should never be this way and that they all have to view stories the same way.  I think it doesn't do harm when you have a long term series--that has an ending.  

7 books in The Dark Tower series.  12 books in The Vampire Chronicles.  12 books combined in Asimov's Robot and Foundation series.  85 episodes in the anime series Robotech.  12 issues of Watchmen or 44 issues of Next Men. These series can maintain more consistency because the scenario comes to an end, they don't need room to be flexible in the future.  So fan websites like the one for Robotech with a detailed chronology or something like the Dark Tower Companion or the Vampire Companion can work.  The creators are not restricted by compiling information from the series.  And other writers who continued some of these series followed the continuity since these were not going to be open-ended continuations and science fiction novels or TV series are treated differently in terms of continuity.  The Robotech series did make some revisions many years later but usually these series don't need to go back and add or alter anything later so it's not a problem when fans are engrossed in the details that can be locked down.

It becomes a problem when that type of thinking gets a hold of long running series that are made to go on indefinitely.  When genre fans see any long running series it's assumed they're all meant to work in the same way, which is establishing a fictional world that feels real because of the consistent continuity.  Because Marvel and DC have been around for so many decades, by the 70s or 80s, they fell into this trap with fans who didn't distinguish between let's say Star Wars or Lord of the Rings and continuity that's more like The Simpsons or Calvin and Hobbes.  So I don't think it's this way of being a fan that's wrong but this failure to understand how different the super hero genre is even though there are some similarities to other fantasy and science fiction properties.

Edited by Mason Meomartini on 09 August 2018 at 3:18pm
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In the case of DOOMSDAY CLOCK, I think Geoff Johns realized that DC writers had "written themselves into a corner" via the New 52 reboot. Sales were no better than they were pre-2011 and by and large the titles were just no fun to read. 

Hence Johns' idea to use Dr. Manhattan's omnipotence -- and lack of empathy with human beings -- as an explanation for the rewriting of the DC multiverse's reality, making much of it as "dark" and hopeless as that of WATCHMEN. 

And Johns has said that if WATCHMEN is a critique of superhero genre conventions, DOOMSDAY CLOCK is a counter-critique, i.e., he's trying to make a point.

That certainly gives it more right to exist than BEFORE WATCHMEN, which was a quick cash grab and not much else. 

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"And Johns has said that if WATCHMEN is a critique of superhero genre conventions, DOOMSDAY CLOCK is a counter-critique, i.e., he's trying to make a point."

According to Alan Moore, Watchmen was not meant as a complaint about conventional superhero comics. Quote:

"It was a disappointment to me, how Watchmen was absorbed into the mainstream. It had originally been meant as an indication of what people could do that was new. I’d originally thought that with works like Watchmen and Marvelman, I’d be able to say, “Look, this is what you can do with these stale old concepts. You can turn them on their heads. You can really wake them up. Don’t be so limited in your thinking. Use your imagination.” And, I was naively hoping that there’d be a rush of fresh and original work by people coming up with their own. But, as I said, it was meant to be something that would liberate comics. Instead, it became this massive stumbling block that comics can’t even really seem to get around to this day. They’ve lost a lot of their original innocence, and they can’t get that back. And, they’re stuck, it seems, in this kind of depressive ghetto of grimness and psychosis. I’m not too proud of being the author of that regrettable trend."

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Aside from the fact that writers were just copying him, part of the reason this failure to innovate happened is that writers didn't start with new fictional worlds.  You couldn't apply Moore's thinking to the established worlds of Marvel and DC.  

Edited by Mason Meomartini on 09 August 2018 at 3:25pm

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I should have said you shouldn't apply Moore's way of thinking to those worlds, but writers did.  I guess it's why we got the spider totem thing in Spider-Man and Gwen having twins with Norman Osborn and Parallax and Cyclops under Phoenix's influence killing Xavier.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH #1, Johns has Wally West say:

"A darkness from somewhere has infected us. It has for a long time now, I think. Even before the Flashpoint."

(The end of FLASHPOINT #5 was the start of the New 52 -- Barry Allen changed history and tries to bring it back to normal but instead a "new normal" emerges.)

This is Johns echoing Moore's point about how WATCHMEN (and DARK KNIGHT, I'd say) became bad influences on mainstream superhero comics. 

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric, I think what happened with the aftermath of Infinite Crisis was that after a few years DC realized they could boost sales much more by having a bigger restart with the Flashpoint than they got out of just bringing back something they had before, the original multiverse.  Flashpoint happened about 3 or 4 years later so I guess sales went flat and the novelty of what happened after Infinite Crisis wore off.

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was also going to ask the same question that Eric Jansen posted about Sliders and other alternate universe stories in science fiction because I didn't understand why some fans don't want Marvel and DC explained as separate universes.  It's a science fiction concept that fits right in.  I understand why fans don't want complicated explanations using alternate universes for some DC Golden Age characters appearances in the 50s and 60s instead of just forgetting them.  But for Marvel and DC as a whole, both ways of doing it are interesting.  It's fun to imagine they're just one world.  And it's also interesting to think of them as two worlds because it creates that odd feeling of characters being in a familiar but different world when they cross into the other one.  Like the effect in some scenarios of the Twilight Zone.  I thought the scene with the Flash in Avengers/JLA  when he broke through to Marvel's Earth and saw the mutant protesters was pretty dramatic and eerie for him.  

I thought these two ways of treating it would be roughly equal in appeal to readers of the superhero subgenre of science fiction.  Or at least the separate universe model wouldn't be so strongly disliked.  I can see why trying to explain every inconsistent Golden Age appearance of a character by slotting them into one world or another is too complicated and tedious, but Marvel and DC as alternate universes is a simple SF concept with only two worlds to deal with.  I liked the way the Superman and Spider-Man and Batman and the Hulk treasury editions dealt with it, but the Avengers and JLA series was dramatic in a different way.

Edited by Mason Meomartini on 16 August 2018 at 1:33pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

From a certain, continuity-obsessed point of view, placing the Marvel and DC characters on separate Earths becomes "necessary," since they do contradict one another from time to time. Luthor was never President in the Marvel universe, for instance. (He shouldn't have been in any universe, including this one.)

The model that everybody lives together and simply never mentions it is deemed too simplistic for some. There are things that MUST be explained if that is the case. Where are all the fictional cities placed? The fictional nations? 

The problem with alternate universes is that different contradictions and complications ensue from that point forward. If the Universes are, in fact, gigantic, Transformer-style brothers, why has this never been mentioned during cosmic-level conferences between all of Marvel's heavy hitters? Why didn't Kismet and the Master Summoner show up at any of them? Were the residents of Transformer-robot-guy #2 not invited? Did Thanos stop too soon? Killing half of everyone in one universe isn't really all that much of an accomplishment, numerically speaking, if there are, in fact, multiple universes out there. Doesn't he have to go kill half of everyone everywhere else now? Was Michael/Korvac going to make everything perfect in the Marvel Universe just as a warm-up before moving on to the next? And the next? And the next? 

DC apparently has room for fictional cities Marvel does not because its Earth is bigger, according to Avengers/JLA. So, is the circumference of DC-Earth bigger than ours as well or is Marvel's smaller?

The parallel universe explanation only kicks the football a little further down the field. Questions pile up nonetheless. So long as it's never going to sync up anyway, I prefer the more human-scale, down-to-Earth explanation. Not everything has to operate on a Multiversal scale. We really do not need to account for every little Wildcat, Super-Son, and Terminus to accept a given story before us. 

I do agree however, that the Avengers/JLA book was its own thing and written for a certain type of reader. There is no reason not to service those customers as well. For those who want that sense of Universal inclusion, well, there it is. I would just rather that all crossovers from that point forward* not necessarily have to conform with the rules it set down.

Besides, if we fix every jot and tittle before it gets into the hands of the uber-fan, what is he going to do with his time? Someone has to chronologically measure and gauge every event and non-event, don't they? If they don't find any mistakes, where's the fun for them? 

* Not that any seem likely. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I liked the human scale explanation in Superman vs Spider-Man where the main characters were all going to attend the same newspaper convention because naturally that's what they would do as professionals in the same business.  It was perfect.  And the way Clark thought about how he'd heard of the Hulk, and now he was there in Metropolis.  It was interesting how it made the Hulk into something like an urban legend to a character like Superman who had never seen him before.  

Kurt Busiek mentioned in an interview with Comic Book Resources that his Avengers and JLA series replaced the Marvel vs DC 1990s series for the first interaction between fictional worlds.  At least with his series there were less inconsistencies, but you made a good point that they never sync up completely.

Relating this to what started the thread, since there are so many alternate universes anyway, I think at this point, every issue of a Marvel and DC superhero comic should just be its own world.  This came up in another thread or this one I think.  They're almost there anyway with so many variant universes or timelines, which was inevitable when you have to keep grabbing the same audience's attention because you have to make major changes to do that, not just minor variations every month.  It takes more than that to get the same readers coming back.  Every story could just be drastically different from the last, following no history.  At all.  Except in as a general basis like in Return of the Dark Knight or Days of Future Past or Marvel's The End stories.  Stories could go in any wild direction you see in those unrelated type of stories outside the mainstream like the Warren Ellis mini series Ruins.   Or alternative continuations like Claremont's X-Men Forever or JB's X-Men Elsewhen.  

By trying to force the continuity to go on, in a way that's continuously compelling for an audience that's hung around for so long and mainly wants continuity based stories, they end up distorting the characters or adding too much to the origin anyway, to attempt drastic changes like the recent Secret Empire story or this new series about the first Venom host.  Stories like those that feel like they might as well be alternate universe What If-style stories anyway.

Each story could be as unusual as it wants to be.  Since projects with strong deviations are what seem to grab the most attention anyway with the casual, wider audience, and with the hardcore fans.  Let all the rules go.  It's like some comments I've seen about The Simpsons.  There's nowhere left to go within the confines of that world. They've done everything they can do with the characters.  No more fresh stories within the same framework.  

This way you'd get self contained stories all the time.

Maybe if there was still a cycle of new generations reading these series it wouldn't matter.  I never completely understood why the distribution system changed so drastically to put a halt to that cycle.  On one hand, I know about Marvel's plan with having its own distribution system and companies all pulling out of the convenience stores, newsstands, drug stores, and supermarkets, but on the other hand I remember reading Steven Grant's column explaining that the price point of comics was too low to justify the space they took up compared to magazines.  Since the sales were so much higher before the direct market took over, I always wonder if that is the reason the big publishers like Image, Dark Horse, not just Marvel and DC, don't try to go back to that type of distribution.

Edited by Mason Meomartini on 17 August 2018 at 6:55pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Alan Moore: “Look, this is what you can do with these stale old concepts."

Concepts become "stale" when the audience sticks around too long. New readers do not -- cannot -- find the concepts "stale".

Thirty years (or more) ago, the companies started playing more and more to the entrenched fan base, who were becoming increasingly represented by ennui-engorged whiners as the audience shrank. Less and less attention was paid to potential new readers. In fact, giant walls of "CONTINUITY" were erected around the characters, seeming almost deliberately to make them as incomprehensible to new readers as possible.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version