Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Earth-8013 and 616 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Last Son of Krypton. Except for a whole city of people!!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...and let's not forget the Phantom Zone!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's right!

Maybe they meant the last son of Krypton to actually LEAVE Krypton. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And, of course, Supergirl, and Argo City.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And all the super-pets, were all or any of them from Krypton?

I like the original where Supergirl was it, the one lone fellow Kryptonian sent off when Argo City was doomed. I know she's mainly a knock-off of Mary Marvel (and Bulletgirl etc.) however. You could have stories where Superman thought he was the last survivior, but they messed that all up once he could travel back and forth from the future and back into the past... that's another development which really blew the gaff, he would've known about Supergirl all along from his first few trips to the future as Superboy, and then why wouldn't he have done something to change the history of the various events that killed all the other Kryptonians if he could go backwards in time as well? They may've been further ahead when he could only leap over buildings and there was no Superboy never mind Superbaby which was it's own feature for awhile with a baby red and blue costume (and cape of course).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
And all the super-pets, were all or any of them from Krypton?

Beppo and Krypto, yes. Streaky and Comet, no.

And Supergirl hypnotized Superboy so he wouldn't remember her when he went back to the present day.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks! I can sleep well now knowing Supergirl's first appearance was still a surprise for Kal-El (and that Beppo is a monkey from outer-space). In a DC SuperHero Girls Free Comic Book Day comic though it appears they have Comet as Kara's horse which she rode to school on when she was on Krypton... but I guess that's Earth P (for pastel colors).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I always found the flora and fauna on Krypton fascinating. The planet is just a barren world with cities under domes in the new TV-show. But in the comics it had all the strange forms of life one could imagine, such as smelly animals called rondors which had a horn with healing properties that could cure all diseases, and you didn't even have to remove it from their body.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Comet was a centaur back in the days of mythology with whom Circe fell in love. She worked a spell to make him all one thing rather the half-and-half configuration he was. Unfortunately, the spell turned him completely into a horse. To make it up to him, she gave him immortality and super-powers which he could use to fly through space and explore. 

Under the influence of one particular comet (hey...) that passes by the Earth apparently at irregular intervals, Comet the Super-Horse becomes human for a few days. In this form, he has carried on a on-and-off again romance with Supergirl who is unaware of her handsome stranger's true identity and nature. 

At the time of Crisis #7, someone in the industry joked (I wish I could remember who) that was how Kara died. The rope snapped. 

Beppo was Jor-El's lab monkey and he stowed away aboard Kal-El's rocketship before it was launched into space. He first showed up in a Superbaby story wherein he imitated all of the lil' feller's feats, exaggerating them to super-heroic levels and thus risking Superbaby's secret identity. I believe Superbaby tricked him into going back to live in the jungle as he had been doing since the rocket crashed.

Krypto was the family dog in the El household until Jor-El used him to test an earlier version of the rocket. He programmed the rocket to return immediately but it was sadly knocked off-course by a meteor and drifted through space until it wound up on Earth during the time that Superboy lived in Smallville. 

Streaky was a normal Earth-born house cat (albeit one who thought in complete sentences and had enormous cartoon eyes) who found a piece of X-Kryptonite which gave him super-powers. He kept it rolled up in a ball of string.

Technically, the Legion of Super-Pets also included Chameleon Boy's pets Proty (who sacrificed himself to save Saturn Girl) and Proty II.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Olav, examples of Kryptonian wildlife that I can recall include:

Tanthu Flez or "Winged Ones": large white dragons.
Metal Eaters: At least two different varieties showed up over the years.
Thought-Beasts: Triceratop-style quadrupeds with large screens built into their skulls that displayed what they were thinking about; usually it involved running you down and eating you.
Kryptonian Babootch: A lil' kaola bear looking thing that Superman once said was included in his favorite recipe of his mother's. "But if you have a couple of pork chops, you can fake it..." he told Lois. One would hope so! Those things looked adorable!
Flame Dragon: Fire-breathing monster with a full complement of super-powers whenever one shows up on Earth. Superman has gotten rid of them by taking away their powers with Red K and leaving them frozen alive out beyond the orbit of Pluto and by dumping one into the prehistoric past. Yikes... hope it doesn't squash any butterflies while it's back there...

Once upon a time, comics were about imagination and not wrist-slapping and the imposition of arbitrary restrictions.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Krypton was a great location to place ideas about strange alien animals.

Just found this blog: http://mindmistress.tumblr.com/

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I suppose this might be a novice question, but I know there was a Detective Comics that marked the new earth Batman (they reprinted in in that 'Silver Age Classics' series of single issues in the '80s)... was there a changeover point from Earth 2 to Earth 1 Superman and Wonder Woman?

Not officially. Clearly, the Superman stories from the Mort Weisinger years contradict what was canonical through the very early '50s. But there was never a "hard" changeover point, especially since the whole idea of Earths One and Two didn't appear until 1961.

And with Batman and Robin there's really no "hard" changeover point. Especially since Robin didn't visibly age until the late 1960s. It's not like he got older and then got younger again. 

There are only a few things that separate the "Golden Age Batman" era from the "Silver Age" one within the pages of BATMAN and DETECTIVE COMICS. Two-Face was Harvey Kent before he was Harvey Dent, for example. I think a few early Batman and Robin stories involved Nazi spies; clearly, not canonical for the Batman and Robin of the mid-50s, who looked no older than they did during WWII. 

(I always had a bit of a problem with the Earth-Two Superman. He wasn't really the Superman of the '40s. He never stopped working for George Taylor at the Daily Star, when in the actual comics the changeover to Perry White at the Daily Planet happened in 1940!)

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version