Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Earth-8013 and 616 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I read somewhere that the 616 designation is 61 as in 1961 being the year it was on the newsstands, 6 (June) being the month of the year 61 it was on the newsstands. I can't find anything on the net to back that up though.

••

Wouldn't that be 661, tho? The Biblical connection to 616 seems like it's too great to be a coincidence. More like yet another example of "creators" saying "Ooo! Look how EDGY we are!"

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Some of it seems to be about pedantic behaviour.

Years ago, someone (not here) complained about the Spider-Man/Transformers crossover, saying something like, "Why hadn't Marvel heroes mentioned giant robots before?"

Talk about over-thinking!

We are NOT privy to EVERY moment of a character's life. We don't see Reed Richards brushing his teeth or Spider-Man having a bath (spiders get stuck in baths, anyway, so that'd be dangerous for Mr. Parker!). 

How do we know that "off-screen", Cap or Iron Man or Banner hadn't mentioned giant robots? 

They guy also said it wasn't credible/believable. Right, so giant, cosmic-spanning characters/living planets/Stilt-Man and subterranean monsters can be accepted but giant robots can't? *Sighs* 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Years ago, someone (not here) complained about the Spider-Man/Transformers crossover, saying something like, "Why hadn't Marvel heroes mentioned giant robots before?"

Talk about over-thinking!

••

The FF had "mentioned" the Hulk before they had their first meeting. In issue 5, the Hulk is established as a comic book character! I often find myself wondering how the anal-retentives deal with stuff like that.

Not that I have to wonder for too long, of course. Stan and Jack established that there was a Marvel Comics in the FF's world, and that it published an FF comic, licensed. Decades later, some folk decided to DO that comic!

(Once again, I must mention that I HATE HATE HATE all references to "Marvel Earth" of the "Marvel Universe". When I was a kid, Stan played it all as if it was "the world outside your window", and I was happy to believe it, even in just a small way. A little part of me died the first time I saw "Marvel Universe.")

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I tend to go with the flow. I accept that Marvel licensed certain characters. So when Godzilla showed up in a Marvel comic, that was licensing.

I know that IDW do Transformers comics now. But if the licence lapsed and returned to Marvel, and Optimus Prime showed up in an Avengers issue, I'd be fine with that, too! Sometimes you have to enjoy the ride!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As a kid, I was aware that different companies existed, and had different kinds of product. If I wanted superheroes, I looked for DC. For funny animals (and sometimes movie adaptations) it was Dell.

When Marvel came along (which is to say, when I noticed them) I bought my first (FF5) with vague apprehensions that the DC police were going to show up on my doorstep!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"When I was a kid, Stan played it all as if it was "the world outside your window", and I was happy to believe it, even in just a small way."

--

To this day, I still don't accept DC comics in my life in part due to their use of imaginary cities. Though for some reason, I never had a problem with the Savage Land or Wakanda. Maybe because they were far away from me, and a part of me wanted to believe that they were real.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

To this day, I still don't accept DC comics in my life in part due to their use of imaginary cities.

••

I had no problem with imaginary cities. What annoyed me, as I got older and closer to being in the Biz, was those who insisted on figuring our where they were and which real cities they represented.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

*Sighs* What were they doing, drawing maps? 

Incidentally, the only time I really approved of multiple earths was when there was a logical reason to do so.

Example: the comic based on the SUPER FRIENDS cartoon were clearly following a different continuity to the adventures of DC heroes in ACTION COMICS, DETECTIVE COMICS, WONDER WOMAN, etc (in the same way that the film Bond can't possibly be the novel Bond).

However, I don't need, want or require a designation. The SUPER FRIENDS comics was what it was. The only designation I needed was "SUPER FRIENDS comic". I didn't need a numbered earth. I didn't want a numbered earth.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What were they doing, drawing maps?

••

Yes.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Not happy with the numbering either.
And yep, probably a try to be smart & edgy.
Alan Moore is a writer i like with some sides i don"t like at all.

edited to remove the "h" from "hedgy". Too "Sonic", and i don't think that A.M. tryed to took like an Hedgehog 

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 30 July 2018 at 8:12am

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I had always just assumed that DC created imaginary cities as it gave writers and artists more freedom, and did not contain them to "real world" models, etc.

The only city I think that was ever given a specific location (the state it was in) in the early days was Coast City in California. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If I correctly recall, in one DC/Marvel crossover the additional DC cities are
explained by showing that the DC Earth is physically larger than the Marvel
one.

Ugh.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version