Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS begin pg 10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seems to me that after this movie, we're left off at the precise same point we were after RETURN OF THE JEDI, with Rey now carrying the mantle that Luke did.   Which makes the whole thing kinda pointless.

Ditto. And how is this the definitive end to the Skywalker Saga that it's being promoted as? Presumably REY is now going to carry on the name, right? And why should we believe that the Emperor is really dead this time and won't just come back somehow in 5, 10, or 36 years to wreck havoc all over again?
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've been searching for a way to describe my overall reaction to the Awakens/Last Jedi/Rise trilogy, but I was able to sum up some of it yesterday in conversation with a friend: "'The Last Jedi' is a better movie, but 'The Rise of Skywalker' is a better Star Wars movie."  

Rian Johnson is a very talented filmmaker who delivered some amazing character work and action set pieces, and additionally shares some sense of story logic with George Lucas.  But 'The Last Jedi' also has some of the most deeply annoying and off-putting sequences in all of the nine (eleven?) films.  'Rise' is slipshod, completely divorced from any sense of internal consistency, and almost video game random in its structure and advance of story.  

AND YET: I really loved 'Rise,' whereas I have a fairly complicated relationship with 'Jedi.'  Abrams (who's kind of a hack, IMO) makes the characters likable, delivers fun set pieces, and manages to elevate the whole thing to the mythic status that Star Wars really needs to function.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Curiously, while I was sitting in the theater blissing out on the climax of 'Rise,' my wife was much less thrilled.  Curious because we're usually 100% aligned on this franchise.

Scott Wagahoff
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I donít like several things about it and wish some different choices were made.....but Iím glad it exists.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"'The Last Jedi' is a better movie, but 'The Rise of Skywalker' is a better Star Wars movie."  

-----

I've been having that same conversation about "Empire" and "Jedi" for as long as I can remember.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2020 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"The Last Jedi" has no business being a STAR WARS movie - from the moment Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder. Later, he called it a "laser sword".... clearly the writings of someone with little respect for the STAR WARS mythos.

Pretty sad that it's part of this new trilogy.

-C!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Charles, they have been called laser sword in the films before. 

Canít believe I just defended TLJ. The film that took the beats from Empire & screwed every single one of them. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
 The film that took the beats from Empire & screwed every single one of them.

Most notably, to me, being Johnson doubling down on the timeline absurdity of Empire.  To wit: the Jedi training.  There's a little wiggle room in Empire because they never explicitly state how long the Falcon is evading the Imperials and how long the business on Bespin takes, but it's at most a few days, which means Luke's training takes place over the same time frame (unless Dagobah is deep in a gravity well or some other head canon).  In TLJ, they explicitly set the clock to the depleting fuel of the Resistance fleet at something like 18 hours, so all of the Rey/Luke stuff happens in a single day. 

I also think the ticking clock aspect to "Rise" was needless, at least in the way it was used.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

James, seems to me like "laser sword" is a layman's term, used by those who don't really know much about the Jedi... I know Anakin said it in Phantom Menace, but before he started studying the ways of the Jedi.

Just seemed so weird hearing Luke say it. I know the purpose was to show how fed up he was with the Jedi culture, but it still bothered me.

Also, Empire makes better use of its timeline than Last Jedi did... and made use of the suspenseful situations much better. Probably why I dislike the comparisons made between the two films.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 02 January 2020 at 9:46am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
In TLJ, they explicitly set the clock to the depleting fuel of the
Resistance fleet at something like 18 hours, so all of the Rey/Luke stuff
happens in a single day.

Rey sleeps for at least two nights on Ach-To, so her storyline and the
Resistance storyline arenít entirely in sync.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, a) that's just weird editing to have three parallel story lines and only one of them isn't presented as being in sync, and b) the start of the film indicates that it picks up only a few hours after the end of The Force Awakens, and then the 18 hour clock starts ticking.  I'm just not sure where any of that magic extra Jedi-training time comes from.

The very brief period between the two films also adds to the weird character stuff in the film, like why Finn would already be such a hero to Rose (to a degree that she swoons upon first meeting him) when it would make a lot more sense for her to be processing her sister's death.  A way more interesting story arc for the character would have been to pair her with Poe, whose decision to disobey orders led to her sister's death.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As I think back over episodes, 7, 8 and 9... Poe was probably the least interesting "main" character to me, especially when he wasn't interacting with Finn and/or Rey.

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 02 January 2020 at 6:15pm

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version