Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS begin pg 10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

jUst got back from watching it.
I'll have to take some time to figure out what I think but I will say that Daisy
Ridley and Adam Driver do a great job with what they're given.

I would also say it has some of the most interesting visuals that I've seen in
any of the sw films
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The family feels no real urgency to see the new film on its opening weekend.  For the first time ever for us, with a new STAR WARS movie.

Kind of a shame.  But also not feeling the need to run out with pitchforks & torches to the offices of Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, etc.

I'll see it eventually (probably over the Xmas break), but it just is what it is.  Time to move on.

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I will say, as someone who was completely over all things "Star Wars," that I enjoyed this movie a lot.  It ties everything up in a way that I really appreciated.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I enjoyed RISE OF SKYWALKER as well. I understand the negative reviews. Where the critics praised THE LAST JEDI for breaking ground, RISE stuck to the formula and stayed safe, leaving the sequels as a trilogy a bit idiosyncratic. Still like it better than the Prequels though.

There's plenty of things to nitpick if you want to go there, but it mostly didn't bother me. At times it felt like the movie was running down a checklist of fan theories and criticisms. Some unearned moments and plot conveniences, but they're the same sorts of things that come up in the Original and Prequel Trilogies, and at this point, it's part of the STAR WARS DNA.

For all the claims of this movie trying to roll back THE LAST JEDI, they really leaned into the dynamic between Kylo Ren and Rey that was built up in that movie.

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As I walked to the lobby after the movie and me and my bud were discussing it. My initial take was “ I THINK I liked it, I mean I like the characters and enjoyed being in the Star Wars universe again”

But man was it a herky jerky story that was just all over the place all at once... way to much far fetchedness (new word?) for my taste...but I do think I liked it...kinda.

I KNEW I liked Star Wars and Empire! 

I like the Mandalorian MUCH better than this movie tho and I know I like it. 

Edited by Steve Gumm on 21 December 2019 at 9:06am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And Star Tours now has some new destinations, based on the movie:

MiceChat Link (Article)

And the ride footage is now on Youtube as well.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I liked TFA, I liked TLJ, but I thought TROS was boring, messy and annoying.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'll let the viewing settle in a bit, but there was one thing I did like.
C3PO's dialogue was more enjoyable to me since, well, since the very first movie.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The whole sequel trilogy may have worked if it had stuck to the plan, but for some reason they let Rian Johnson derail the story they were telling and that led to Ep9 being movie without any basis in anything.  It had to repair the damage of The Last Jedi, but things were too far removed from the meta story that was established pre-TLJ so you end up with this episodic video game plot that is just floating out there by itself.  It really seems like they filmed 40 pieces and then spent every moment test screening different combinations until they came up with one that tested good enough to release.  In general I still like the new characters, but hated what they did with the OT characters.  They really crapped all over the achievements of the OT pretty hard.  There were a billion ways they could have done a sequel trilogy without doing that.  The original Star Wars was a reaction to all of the gray morality, navel gazing, "everyone's corrupt" era of 1970s film, and it seems like Abrams, and especially Rian Johnson completely failed to understand that aspect of it.

There is also nothing in the Disney canon that can convince me that they always intended the Emperor to come back.  That was a last ditch attempt to tie everything together and clearly wasn't something they planned or set up in the many novels, comics, and video games in their canon.  Ah well. 

The one thing that intrigues me is that supposedly they brought in George Lucas after their third act received a "4" rating in one of the test screenings to come up with a new ending.  He gave them suggestions and they shot that version and supposedly it received a pretty high test score, but Kathleen Kennedy and JJ eventually decided to go their own way instead.  It would be interesting to know what GL suggested. 

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I won't have a chance to see the movie until early next week, alas.

However, two observations on the lengthy post from a few pages ago:

1) Pointing out that people who didn't like the prequels were free to ignore them in the middle of an extended hateful rant against the very existence of this sequel trilogy seems is...something.

2) Nothing shows that one is not a misogynistic man-baby like bragging about using a bunch of Rose Tico action figures to construct a monument to how much one hates her.

Nevertheless, I hope Mr. Kirkman finds peace with his feelings about Star Wars.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

To paraphrase Shatner:

"It's just a movie!!!"

You can fill in the rest.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 21 December 2019 at 4:39pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 December 2019 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply