Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: TEEN TITANS GO! To the Movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Saw this last night and enjoyed it. If you like the current TV series, this is made for you; there are lots of callbacks, in jokes, character bits and surprise voice casting. (My wife nailed who did the voice of Tiger, a guitar-playing cameo.)

That said, if you don't like or have any interest in the show, this won't change your mind. WB Animation made this for TTG fans... though there's an intriguing mid-credits scene for fans of the earlier TEEN TITANS series (which was serious and honestly a bit better than TTG).
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Animated superheros have yet to capture the real feel of their comicbook counterpart. Even Bruce Timm didn't pull that off, much as I enjoyed and praise BATMAN TAS.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I feel that the 1982 Hulk cartoon was a commendable effort, but I'd probably agree that animated superheroes haven't quite captured the feel yet.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Still too GI JOE for my taste.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The "Timm-Verse" did a really nice job. The shows had a very "comic-y" feel to me, and the "Big Three" were handled perfectly. Superman looked and acted like the Superman I was used to (didn't hurt that his animated series was informed quite a bit by JB's reboot), Batman was awesome..."grim and gritty", yes, but not without a sense of humor...and Kevin Conroy's voicework is iconic. Wonder Woman rivaled Superman's power level, and, again, looked and sounded "on model", to me. The overall tone was spot on. 

Which all makes it extra irksome that DC/Warner already had a sucessful template for an adapted "shared universe" and chose to ignore it entirely. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave King
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Animated series Was awesome but ruined me for later interpretations of the bat. I like Justice League Action, and Teen Titans Go. But have passed on last two dc movies Suicide Squad and batman Ninja. Not excited for Death of superman again.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

...the bat...batman...superman...

No capitalization... why?

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm a sucker for those gorgeous 1940s Superman Fleischer cartoons, however. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Saw it last night and laughed quite a bit. I'm not an "expert" on the cartoon but Beast Boy seemed to be stuck in this fake gangsta/ Jar Jar Binks diction that was REALLY offputting. Is he really always like that?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think the great voice acting cast makes this work as well as it does. Personally I love the show (not every single episode though) so will love the movie. I know there are people who absolutely hate the whole super-deformed 'chan' style thing though... 'chan' or 'kun' is a suffix in Japanese like a kind of baby-talk or calling somebody 'little one', there's a weird tradition in their comics to have odd little puppet-pal versions of otherwise serious creations in comics and cartoons. Think what Godzooky is to Godzilla. Power Puff Girls is a slightly earlier U.S. creation also influenced by this whole super-deformed thing, and then there are those chunky big-headed plastic figures with the big eyes they are selling everywhere now (those I don't care for).

Also love the old Max Fleisher cartoons! Hey, maybe Betty Boop really did start all this; I saw early Japanese cartoonists would draw her sometimes in their comic strips and stories along with Mickey Mouse, Popeye and other U.S. characters (this was long before most people knew anything about copyright infringements, also before WWII).

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I found Beast Boy's diction really grating, too. I've watched a couple eps of the show but it never stuck out to me the way it did here. A minor nitpick; I really enjoyed the film overall. The musical sequences were my favorite moments. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version