Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: THE PRISONER - Original Art Edition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

An oversized hard cover volume, in the fashion of IDW's Artists Editions, but this time from Titan.

Slim, as it contains only two comics (and some padding), the first illustrated by Jack Kirby, the second by Gil Kane. I'd seen some of the Kirby pages before, but this is my first time seeing more than the first page of the Kane job.

It's a study in contrasts. Like the SPACE ODESSEY adaptation it's fascinating to see Kirby apply his style to something he did not create or design. He slides easily into the Village. His likeness of Patrick Magoohan is quite good, employing a minimum of lines.

Kane's is somehow more oridinary. Detailed and fluid, as is to be expected, but somehow cold. Unlike Kirby's version, there are no "Now that's cool!" moments. Still, most instructive.

Altogether, recommended.

Be seeing you!

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've seen a few bits of both too, interesting they can now be seen more or less in full. Thank you for the heads up!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks for the heads-up from me, too. Quite the fan of the series.

Incidentally, someone didn't quite believe me when I told them 17 episodes were made. They Googled it (I did know for sure, I own the series on DVD). I suppose 17 sounds like an odd number in a world where most shows had multiple seasons - and where even one-season wonders had 20+ episodes.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

@Robbie - and even with only 17, there was some padding! If I remember rightly, McGoohan said that there were only seven or eight episodes that were true to the original concept.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Jack Kirby art has been floating around the interweb for some years now but it's still a delight to see the art presented here full size. Previously I've only seen a handful of pages of the Kane/Englehart version, so getting the complete artwork and script for the comic was a delight too. Both versions are wonderful and it breaks my heart that a Prisoner comic never happened back in the day (I actually remember the announcement appearing in an old 1970s Bullpen Bulletin and was hugely disappointed when the comic failed to materialise).

I've got to say though, despite being a coffee table size book, it's an awfully slim volume for the exorbitant price being asked (I imagine the Venn diagram of crossover between Prisoner and comics fans, and the much smaller subset who can actually afford the thing!). The ITC press book is pure padding and has already been given away as a PDF on previous DVD/Blu-ray releases. The article on The Prisoner might be informative for Kirby/Kane fans who are not so familiar with McGoohan's classic TV series but it still seemed like padding to me. Another supposed selling point is a panel of Kirby's art coloured by Mike Allred, but I'm afraid he didn't add anything that any competent colourist couldn't have achieved.

I'll stick my neck out and say that, of the two versions of Arrival presented, I prefer the King's take on The Village. Kirby is definitely on the same wavelength as McGoohan, something I'd always suspected from reading issues 84 - 87 of the Fantastic Four (look that story up and I think you'll soon see why).

For publishing this Art Edition, I can now almost forgive Titan for the horrible four-part Prisoner reboot comic they are currently publishing. Almost.

PS Ever since reading this book I've had a hankering to see a movie starring Christopher Reeve's Superman vs Patrick McGoohan as Darkseid.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2018 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Incidentally, someone didn't quite believe me when I told them 17 episodes were made. ... I suppose 17 sounds like an odd number in a world where most shows had multiple season.

As discussed in another thread, The Prisoner was originally intended to have run to more episodes. After finishing what was to have been the first season of thirteen episodes, McGoohan flew off to Hollywood to make Ice Station Zebra and while he was gone his financial backer, Lew Grade reviewed the situation and decided to kill the series prematurely. Reasoning that he could sell a package of 17 episodes, Grade asked for four more episodes. Personally, I always think those later episodes (Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling, Living in Harmony, The Girl Who Was Death and Fall Out) look tired and drained of life somehow compared to the vibrancy of the 'first season' episodes.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 July 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

…Patrick McGoohan as Darkseid.

••

!?!?

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2018 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

…Patrick McGoohan as Darkseid.

••

!?!?

••

It's something about the way Kirby draws McGoohan's supraorbital ridge and the shadows around his eyes that put me in mind of Darkseid.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version