Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Will SW Ever Cross Over With Another Franchise? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In comics, STAR TREK has crossed over with Green Lantern, Planet of the Apes, Doctor Who, Legion of Super-Heroes - and Transformers, too (the Transformers one will be published soon, the Autobots will meet the Trek crew from THE ANIMATED SERIES).

Out of the above, I've only read the Trek/POTA crossover. I thought it was done surprisingly well. I was extremely skeptical about those universes combining, but I think they did it very, very well.

Now, for STAR WARS.

A friend told me I'm obsessed with crossovers (I am, sue me). I stupidly wrote a Batman/Asterix the Gaul crossover as a kid so that's where my "sin" started. I don't think the concept of crossovers should ever be overdone, but whether it's Superman/Spider-Man - or something different like Star Trek/Transformers - I like the occasional novelty.

I guess STAR WARS will never do it, though. I am presuming that Disney would never allow it. Lucasfilm would never have allowed it, either.

I have a confession to make: I have craved a STAR WARS/STAR TREK crossover (in comic form) since childhood. Who wouldn't want to see Spock put the Vulcan nerve pinch on Vader? Or Picard in Jabba's palace? If I could be granted one crossover wish by a genie, STAR WARS/STAR TREK would be the one.

Other than that, I don't know. As a kid, when Marvel Comics first published a Star Wars title, I was naive enough to hope they'd do a crossover with something like the Guardians of the Galaxy or Nova. 

I never expected STAR TREK to cross over with the properties mentioned in my first paragraph. It happened, though. But I would be kidding myself if I thought STAR WARS would one day go down that path, right?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Time and intergalactic travel required.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Some sort of SW/Marvel crossover would seem to be the most likely option given that both are owned by the same company. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I could picture Dorothy appearing on Tatooine and thinking she had fallen into the Deadly Desert; then meeting up with a droid and asking if he can take her to the Tin Woodsman, Tin Soldier, or Tik-Tok. Has anyone ever tried shorting out Darth Vader by throwing a bucket of water onto him? 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Im surprised we havent seen a cross over with Marvel superheroes
ala Spider-Man/Red Sonja. Also I could see mash ups like Disney
cartoon characters in the Star Wars universe. Disney owns the
Muppets too right? Id definitely read a Star Wars/Muppets mash up.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Id definitely read a Star Wars/Muppets mash up.

Well, Yoda is already a Muppet. . .

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There is a 1980 episode of the Muppet Show featuring Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, Chewbacca, and Luke's "cousin," song and dance man Mark Hamill. Luke and R2 invade the Muppet Theater looking for Chewie who has been kidnapped by the evil Dearth Nadir who looks an awful lot like Gonzo.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When I was kid my friend always craved a Dr. Doom/Darth Vader cross-over. He wanted to know "who would win?" in a fight. I tried to explain, in my best 13 year old logic that Marvel was one company and Star Wars was another company (not to mention the whole "a long time ago...") and that it "would NEVER happen." 

Disney bought Marvel and then a few years later bought Lucasfilm, I said to myself, "maybe Dr. Doom could meet Darth Vader." Of course it never should. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Speaking of doctors, Panini UK (the successor to Marvel UK) publish DR. WHO comic strips. They also have produced *some* original Marvel material, although most of their output is Marvel US reprints.

Note to Panini: how about a Doctor Who/Reed Richards crossover?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, Yoda is already a Muppet. . .
++++++++++

Lucas once joked that Yoda was the illegitimate child of Kermit and Miss Piggy. All that's needed is time and intergalactic travel...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Star Trek crossed over with X-Men. Maybe Star Wars will meet the Avengers. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just have this feeling that whether Lucasfilm in the past, or Disney today, someone will be so protective of the SW brand that they won't want it to cross over with any other franchise - in any way, shape or form.

I can't help but crave a STAR WARS/STAR TREK crossover. Our host mentioned how time and intergalactic travel would be required. That is true. I just think there's a good story out there.

And it's a big multiverse. There's no way that STAR TREK and PLANET OF THE APES could have co-existed on the same earth, given the history in POTA is different to the history in STAR TREK; but I loved what IDW did with that idea.

It doesn't always work. I wasn't enamoured when TARZAN and PLANET OF THE APES crossed over. But whether it's Solo/Chewbacca ending up in TNG times, or Kirk and crew ending up in the SW galaxy, I would like to see it.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

When I cared about Star Wars I would say, don't ever do
this. Now that I don't care much for it, do whatever.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Some properties should NEVER crossover, this is one of
them! Sorry Robbie!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Bar the fun things like Muppets, no. Never.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

What Bill said. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

...how about a Doctor Who/Reed Richards crossover?

See, now that could work -- tho there would most certainly be the usual whining from the idiot squad, demanding to know why they had not me "before".

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I have never thought of Star Wars and Star Trek inhabiting the same reality. Star Wars is just -- and rightly so -- too much of a fable, where Star Trek asks us to accept as much as possible its real connection to us. Star Wars doesn't require answering, really, any questions: just take it for what it is. And if you start asking needless questions of the original movie, you end up with the sequels, which are bad enough, and, worse, the prequels. Star Trek, of course, is not science but science fiction, so it's obviously not real and, as fiction, it demands also not over-thinking. But even given that, it wants to be taken as even as a fantasy something directly related to who we, the human race of the past 50 years, are and might, given all the license of science fiction, might become.

Harold Walls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Pigs in Space

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2018 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well, considering how Star Wars barely crosses over with itself these days...

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I wonder if the incursions of the Empire might have attracted the attention of the Guardians of the Universe? Certainly not Hal Jordan and John Stewart's corps, but Green Lanterns vs the Sith seems pretty intriguing to me.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I hope fervently that Star Wars never crosses over with anything. Like Bill Collins said above, some concepts simply shouldn't cross over with others.

Maybe there's some way the right creative team could pull it off--IDW's inter-property crossovers, like Trek/POTA and TNG/Doctor Who, have been really good--but, try as I might, I can't see it working for Star Wars.  

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The heated debate that I saw sparked by this pic a while back, pretty much sums up why I don't think crossovers between Star Wars and any other franchise work..

As the pertinent question that came out of it is who would have access to the Force? If you are saying that other fictional characters already exist in a Star Wars universe, and the Force permeates everything there, then wouldn't they have access to it too? And if you go down the other route of them visiting the Star Wars universe, then how long until they do start 'feeling the force?' Would it be instant?

It's sort of like the Scarlet Witch having access to more magic when she appeared in the DC Universe during JLA-Avengers. But then that series had the Flash no longer having access to his speed 'force' in a different universe. Would the same happen to Star Wars characters if for instance they crossed over to the Star Trek universe?

It's like one of these unsolvable questions that was maybe never meant to be asked. Because Star Wars and it's Force was never designed to be interacting with characters beyond their universe. And to me that's what makes it nearly impossible to force a cross over there. Star Wars is kinda it's own thing, and probably should remain so at that.

But maybe I'm over-thinking it. There's probably a writer out there that could make it work..

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Mr. Scott - one consideration for you. What if there are characters in a given crossover realm who already have access to the Force and are using it, without knowing it's called the Force? Or by using it in different ways?

Perhaps Nabu the Wise was a Jedi Master, and Kent (Dr. Fate) Nelson is actually a practitioner of the Force? Or possibly Hogwart's (etc.) is a Jedi Academy? Again, unknowingly - but the Force might manifest itself in a number of ways. 

I think we could all name a franchise or two or three where there are characters with "superhuman" abilities that might be manifestations of the Force.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Mr. Scott - one consideration for you. What if there are characters in a given crossover realm who already have access to the Force and are using it, without knowing it's called the Force? Or by using it in different ways?

Perhaps Nabu the Wise was a Jedi Master, and Kent (Dr. Fate) Nelson is actually a practitioner of the Force? Or possibly Hogwart's (etc.) is a Jedi Academy? Again, unknowingly - but the Force might manifest itself in a number of ways. 

I think we could all name a franchise or two or three where there are characters with "superhuman" abilities that might be manifestations of the Force.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----

Yeah, that's an interesting take on it all right. In fact it even makes the Jedi seem like more of a religion. That they have came up with all their ideas to explain the ways of the universe, which in a neighbouring realm has been interpreted completely differently!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version