Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Aquaman - SPOILERS begin Pg. 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Picture that very same shot with this head and face and...

...BOOM! It's Aquaman!

Eh... It's closer, but still not the face I'd have chosen for him...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eh... It's closer, but still not the face I'd have chosen for him...

Same, but it's almost painful to see a guy in the same movie so much closer to being Aquaman than the Underwater Lobo we're getting.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Here come da judge... reviews are in:

Certainly doesn't seem to reaching the top echelon of superhero flicks, but reviews still appear to be surprisingly solid.

Looking forward to seeing this on a big screen!

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The visuals and choreography are terrific, the plot is paint-by-numbers origin story stuff, the acting is okay to pretty good, the character arcs that stand out are Atlanna and Tom (Nicole Kidman and Temuera Morrison), Jason Momoa is pretty much the same guy you saw in JUSTICE LEAGUE and about as aimless for most of it...

I'd give it a B-/C+.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The best thing about this movie is how unselfconsciously it embraced the matter-of-fact batshittery of mid-tier Bronze age superhero comics. It's a blur of crazy fighting, abrupt exposition, flashing light technology and weird fucking creatures of the deep. Unfortunately, the writing just doesn't try hard enough; the dialogue lacks wit and what passes for a story unfolded about exactly as I expected. I was bored for long stretches. And it's a long movie.

Atlantis came off like a white Wakanda populated by emigrants from Idiocracy. The undersea visuals were cool but the movie basically ignores any mechanics of underwater movement and communication. Aside from the way hair constantly drifted characters mostly walked, ran, fought and fell down as if they were on dry land.

Black Manta looked amazing. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Since the movie is in general release in North America, letís open this up to a discussion of the story

SPOILERS from this point on!  

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

May see it, may not. I am not a fan of Aquaman and shaggy, dirty Rob Zombie bro speak guy. I like the Aquaman I grew up with, who looked like what Jim Aparo drew. I know, I'm old, I'm a grump but that's the character who is Aquaman to me. 

I also know that THAT Aquaman is better on a comics page (drawn by Jim Aparo) than as presented in live action in a film. In other words, why did DC even bother? They're clueless. Outside of Wonder Woman, and perhaps their lighter TV portrayals (which I gave up on some time back), I don't like what they're doing on screen - small or large.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Despite its IMPRESSIVE overseas totals - AQUAMAN has posted the lowest domestic box-office opening weekend of all the DCEU films and has been garnering mixed print and word-of-mouth reviews.

Looks like Warner Bros. superhero fare will remain the WONDER WOMAN Universe.

Marc

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2018 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

AQUAMAN has posted the lowest domestic box-office opening weekend of all the DCEU films

-----

To be fair, four of those DCEU films starred DC's Big Three, arguably the three most iconic superheroes in the world. Meanwhile, SUICIDE SQUAD leveraged Harley Quinn's current uber-popularity and was Batman-adjacent. Even if AQUAMAN had had spectacular reviews, I'd still expect it to open lower than those other films.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2018 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I saw it last night and I liked it. I've never been a huge Aquaman reader so the Momoa take doesn't bother me that much. My default Aquaman was on the Super Friends. I grew up as a Marvel guy and didn't read any DC Comics until JB did Man of Steel. That period of time didn't really have a great Aquaman. As far as the movie goes, I felt like it hops all over the place style-wise. One moment it wants to be Star Wars, the next its Romancing the Stone but the overall theme is Arthur Curry being a hero and that's important to me. It was a fun time for me and a couple of my buddies (one who doesn't read comics but loves superheroes and one who is more of a DC guy). 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2018 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It was decent.  I'd place it at second behind Wonder Woman in the current DCEU. It was very Geoff Johns-y: overstuffed and needlessly complicated, leading to a series of disconnected set pieces and little emotional engagement.  Cast was great.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Aquaman had a huge Christmas Day, earning $22M to make it one of six films to gross north of $20M on Christmas after Star Wars pics The Force Awakens ($49.3M), The Last Jedi ($27.4M) and Rogue One ($25.8M), along with Sherlock Holmes ($24.6M), and Avatar ($23M). This takes the James Wan-directed movie to $101M through five days, and with previews $105.7M. Aquaman jumped 102% over its Christmas Eve take of $10.95M.

Note that even with previews, Aquaman still is slightly behind the five-day take of last yearís Justice League ($111.9M), which was one of the low points in the recent DC franchise commercially and critically, ending its domestic run at $229M and WW at $657.9M. However, thereís more optimism in Aquaman given its slightly higher exits of A- to Justice League B+ and the fact that the DC title is in the lucrative year-end post-holiday season. This in addition to the fact that Aquaman has already made 75% of Justice Leagueís global total to date with half-billion-plus WW. As we reported yesterday, film finance sources believe Aquaman will profit in its theatrical window.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It appears that Aquaman has already made more money than Justice League did in its entire run.

If you have told 10-year old me that there would one day be a live-action Justice League movie, I would have believed you. It you had told me I would have no interest in seeing it, I would have been truly puzzled.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Wow! Superb film, pure fun!
True that Arthur's personality is very different from the comics, but the film is very comic-booky. Epic adventure, visually gorgeous, great soundtrack, nice choreographies. Theres a little of Star Wars in it, as well as Indiana Jones, Karate Kid, or Avatar.
One of the most solid DC films IMHO.

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

It's a shame it has all of that going for it but couldn't
get the casting or character right.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Mea culpa - Aquaman seems to be doing MORE than alright at the box office (smile)!

Marc

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2019 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

My ten-year old son and I had a blast watching this film and I plan to see it again in the theater. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2019 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I must say I enjoyed the soundtrack. Plenty of daylight when above water. I appreciate the attempts at levity though some seemed a bit off. Turning around the bar fight trope was pretty good though.

The outfits were good. I would have lost a bet as I thought Aquaman was going to be in his traditional garb as maybe a one scene ceremonial thing. But nope once he was in it he stayed in it!
I really liked Ocean Master's uniform.

I will give credit to some writing here to. Arguably the most mocked thing about Aquaman the last few decades has been his ability to communicate with sea creatures. Not here, in fact it's his most impressive ability and really the crux of the whole movie.

Edited by Doug Centers on 05 January 2019 at 1:26pm

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2019 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I have to say that, while I still personally have no interesting in seeing this film, I am impressed with its success, and happy for it. It sends a good message. Sure, Aquaman had more name-recognition among the general public than Iron Man did prior to the first Iron Man film, as others have noted he was, for better or worse, thought of as somewhat of a joke character. So for them to be able to be able to take the character, play it straight, and have this kind of success is quite astounding. It doesnít seem that long ago that the idea of Aquaman being a billion dollar film was basically a joke on Entourage, but no oneís laughing now. Kudos to James Wan and company.

Hopefully the PTB at WB get the message that this proves that when it comes to superhero movies that donít have to rely on Batman and his spinoffs. Or even Superman. They have a wealth of character that could be given similar treatment. Perhaps that rumored Booster Gold film could come to fruition now?

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 07 January 2019 at 6:14pm

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Saw it today with a friend who wanted to see it for her birthday.

It was good, but certainly not great by any means.  The digital effects were impressive enough, but Momoa and Heard's acting seemed a little weak and the script wasn't particularly good at times.

Certainly better than Batman vs. Superman and Justice League however.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2019 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I was planning to skip this, but so many people had been praising it that I decided to give it a chance. I liked it!

Momoa's casting remains the weak point. Thankfully, the dudebro attitude is turned down from JUSTICE LEAGUE (although some of it remains, especially in the opening sequence). The film also seems to go back and forth over whether Arthur is a doofus or just acts like a doofus because he's shirking the responsibility of claiming his birthright. But by the end of the movie, he's more like the Peter David version of the character, which is not my favorite, but something I can deal with.

I thought Mera, Black Manta, and Ocean Master were spot-on, visually. Nicole Kidman was the highlight of the movie.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Michael, I went to see it for pretty much the same reason but had a completely different experience. Even going in with much lowered expectations, while I found the movie looking pretty for the most part,  just plain bad by every other metric.  Internally inconsistent in order to have any kind of story and character jeopardy. While it has a fairly thin generic fantasy plot, it doesn't have much of a story. Mamoa's frat boy persona of Aquaman grew quickly tiresome which he never grows out of. To echo Mera, if he is supposed to be Atlantis' king, they are truly doomed. The one part where he shows a hint of intelligence is such a solitary moment in the middle of the movie and never hinted at again that instead of suggesting hidden depth to the character, it struck me as more plot contrivance or simply to check off that box. 

When he finally does put on the costume which is only in time for the climactic battle, it looks horrible on Mamoa. Actually worse in the film than the promotional pics. Mamoa is a physically imposing guy, but it looks like they put him in a muscle suit designed for someone thinner as it adds thickness to his body and looked bloated. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2019 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

AQUAMAN is now poised to make more (domestically at least) than THOR: RAGNAROK.

Who woulda thunk??

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I finally got around to seeing it and it was actually pretty fun with a less than great ending, much like Wonder Woman, so I can see why it has been a success for DC while some of their more A-list films haven't. Jason Mamoa has a lot of charisma, so much so it almost makes up for the lack of it by the very beautiful Amber Heard as Mera. I mean, he looks more like Namor circa the JB and Jae Lee issues, but he definitely has the personality and charisma needed to bring a superhero to life and make folks enjoy the film. Great visuals too as others have pointed out.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 05 February 2019 at 5:07pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version