Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Aquaman - SPOILERS begin Pg. 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 21 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Michael, I went to see it for pretty much the same reason but had a completely different experience. Even going in with much lowered expectations, while I found the movie looking pretty for the most part,  just plain bad by every other metric.  Internally inconsistent in order to have any kind of story and character jeopardy. While it has a fairly thin generic fantasy plot, it doesn't have much of a story. Mamoa's frat boy persona of Aquaman grew quickly tiresome which he never grows out of. To echo Mera, if he is supposed to be Atlantis' king, they are truly doomed. The one part where he shows a hint of intelligence is such a solitary moment in the middle of the movie and never hinted at again that instead of suggesting hidden depth to the character, it struck me as more plot contrivance or simply to check off that box. 

When he finally does put on the costume which is only in time for the climactic battle, it looks horrible on Mamoa. Actually worse in the film than the promotional pics. Mamoa is a physically imposing guy, but it looks like they put him in a muscle suit designed for someone thinner as it adds thickness to his body and looked bloated. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 27 2019 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

AQUAMAN is now poised to make more (domestically at least) than THOR: RAGNAROK.

Who woulda thunk??

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 05 2019 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I finally got around to seeing it and it was actually pretty fun with a less than great ending, much like Wonder Woman, so I can see why it has been a success for DC while some of their more A-list films haven't. Jason Mamoa has a lot of charisma, so much so it almost makes up for the lack of it by the very beautiful Amber Heard as Mera. I mean, he looks more like Namor circa the JB and Jae Lee issues, but he definitely has the personality and charisma needed to bring a superhero to life and make folks enjoy the film. Great visuals too as others have pointed out.

Edited by Shane Matlock on February 05 2019 at 5:07pm
Back to Top profile | search

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 21 2019 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've been waiting for the DC films to hit DVD and renting them for $1.78 at RedBox. I find the films long and sometimes boring, so a full-priced theater ticket and popcorn just don't make financial sense. 

Watched this Aquaman, and I'm in agreement with the general consensus that this off-model rendition is not something I'm willing to give more than a little time to. It was the borefest that some recent superhero films have been, but I think Jason Momoa would be better suited to another comic book character, like Namor or Lobo, as mentioned upthread. 

But I'm happy with my routine of not seeing them in theaters. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 22 2019 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I checked it out again recently, and notwithstanding all the issues people have pointed out, I appreciated how Aquaman started drinking beer with his dad at sunrise, and drank until after dark, at which point our hero got behind the wheel of a pickup. It's a good thing Ocean Master chose that moment to attack or the movie might have been a courtroom drama. 

Edited by David Miller on March 23 2019 at 8:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version